Water Heater Question

KimmyandGinge

We're in the Peak District at the mo.

Cuz it was forecast a frost last night, I brought the water pump inside the van so it wouldn't freeze.

Woke up this morning to a big frost.

When we wanted to wash up, I put the water pump back in the aquaroll, put the hot water on. ...

. ...NO HOT WATER!!!

The water heater was on all night.

Are they all linked, as in if the pump isn't connected the heater doesn't work????

Cuz after an hour of having the pump connected, I've got hot water!!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

the water could have run out overnight and if the heater was on it would have tripped out. so look in your handbook to find where the reset button is, usually around the lower area of the heater. Press and it should click back in. the pump is not connected, but will take a while to fill the heater back up again before it comes out the taps.

I see that you have solved it but now you know why, you have an auto reset button.

Edited by brilock1

Everything was filled up before we went to bed, that's what I don't understand.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

It may have been an airlock. I have found in the past that if you plug hose into caravan before putting pump in aquaroll you can cause and airlock. Try putting pump into aquaroll and then connecting to van.

If you pull the pump out then water will trickle and then syphon out of the hole unless you have a one way valve fitted.

If you pull the pump out then water will trickle and then syphon out of the hole unless you have a one way valve fitted.

Oh i see. i never knew that.

Its a 2005 caravan, i take it that it hasn't not got one of them valves then!!

So if it is leaking, would the water be leaking inside??

No, the water won't be leaking inside. The one way valve is either in the filler inlet unit - if it's the Truma crystal type (with a tubular replaceable filter) or in the pressure switch. Non of the non-return valves are perfect and the system will slowly depressurise and get topped up by the pump - you probably can't hear it with an external pump. If you disconnect the pump then the water can slowly trickle out of the inlet. If you connect the pump before dropping it into the aquaroll, you can get a big airlock, sometimes it clears itself and sometimes it doesn't. It helps if you lower the pump into the water and shake it a bit before plugging it into the side of the van.

The hotwater tank shouldn't drain out overnight so it aught to have stayed hot unless the pipe work is so arranged that it can siphon. It's always a good idea to turn the heater off if you don't have the pump connected just in case this happens.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Cheers for your help, very informative

Edited by KimmyandGinge