Brand New 2014 Xplore 530, Not Built To Customer Spec'

mark&karen

Hi,

Just signed up to this site for some comments as we feel really let down by Elddis.

At the 2013 NEC show we ordered the Xplore 530 (3/4 berth), we also specified extras with our order and in this case the extra 4th bunk. We wanted the 2014 model so have waited four months and this weekend 8. 2. 14 we went to collect it, very excited!!!!.

To our complete horror the caravan was without the 4th bunk. ...after many phone calls and red faces we were told that our caravan would have to be reordered as the 4th bunk cannot be fitted retrospectively.

In anticipation we had booked a holiday in the approaching half term with family who are also caravanners, which we will now have to cancel.

We have emailed Elddis and are waiting for a response.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what our next move should be???

Regards

Your Dealer should be your first port of call For complaints

As for cancelling holiday can you have the booking saved till another time

Yeah your right,,, they were the ones with red faces and just as shocked as we were.

They added numerous extras and how they missed the 4th bunk. ..well god only knows.

They have accepted a portion of responsibility and will contact us this week.

Not a good start but not surprising really, make a fuss and you should get compensation. you also need a delivery date as these vans are made in batches and the next one could be some time yet, maybe months rather than weeks. Pin them down to a definite date in writing.

During the panic on Saturday they mentioned March. ..we will see!!!

As far as compensation. ...we have lost out on leave that we cannot cancel. ...site booking. ...caravan insurance for a van we now don't own. Question is. ..what would be a realistic ask for compensation, what do you think?

Could you not hire a tourer / motor caravan for your planned holiday with the dealer picking up the cost as part of the compensation package?

Edited by happynomad

They did offer to lend us our part x caravan for the holiday. ...however the reason we got rid was because we had no room and needed the space and extra berth and we wanted to try our new van. We might get offered something tomorrow once the reputable supplier have held their management meeting on this matter. Will keep you updated. ..

I'm gutted for you that what should be an exciting time has turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Are you sure that it is Elddis who have made this error?

Your order would be with the dealer and they will place the order to Elddis with the required specification, I'm just a little surprised that the van got through the numerous checks before it got to you and this glaring omission was spotted.

It suggests the dealer may not gave ordered it correctly.

Davros

Get the dealer to give you a loaner for your holiday, of an equivalent that you should have bought. Everyone is right, your contract is with the dealer, and if you contact elddis you are likely to be knocked back.

Personally, I'd push for as much compensation as you can get, or vote with your feet, get your deposit back and go elsewhere

think this post should have the heading changed to not "ordered" to customer spec ??

:D:D:D:D the new solid construction 2013 elddis aspire 255 has replaced a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3. 0 crd overland being chased by a 2011 elddis crusader super sirocco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after four elddis caravans it made sence to buy an aspire

I went through a similar experience last summer when I ordered a new range rover sport. I realised half way home it was not the interior I had ordered and rejected it under soga but dealer insisted I give them opportunity to resolve by swapping interior with a demonstrater they had in stock.

They had already scratched bumper fitting tow electrics and broke clips for boot trim so I said no. They insisted I had to give them opportunity to sort so in the end I agreed provided they confirmed in writing that if they did any damage they would accept my rejection and supply the vehicle I ordered.

They swapped the interior and as predicted damaged trim and paint then requested opportunity to put it right - I pointed out I had it writing that they would replace if not done correctly so they ordered me a replacement knowing they couldn't win.

While all this was going on I had use of vehicles better than the one I ordered.

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Muddywheels good job they messed it up because I am sure that you would have had rattles and squeeks fairly soon as moving the trim is very risky. Been there when I had the blower fan still live when ignition was off. They ripped the dash completely out and from then on a rattled.

Brilock - I argued it would never be same and would rattle but they assured me it would be good as when it left factory - they said a lot of things but try getting them to confirm them in writing :unsure:

Getting letter to confirm they would replace if not happy was extremely difficult and I am sure if I hadn't refused to leave the showroom until I had it I would never have got it but worth its weight in gold at end of day B)

I ended up with a free first service, luxury hamper, carpet mats and mud flaps in the end because I was absolutely livid - I only changed because another branch in the group dropped my previous sport off a ramp during the 3 year service (I was hoping to keep it another 2 years but it wasn't the same afterwards) :blink:

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Scoobz - It has been said to me many times :lol:

I get stressed out when these things happen but try to forget afterwards ASAP or I would crack up :unsure:

I hope you get sorted soon Mark&Karen then you can forget this and enjoy the new caravan - how it gets dealt with is more critical than the problem IMHO :)

Hi all and many thanks for your comments,

Well. ..the dealer and Elddis have clearly pulled out all the stops, Elddis have hijacked a caravan to our spec off the production line and provided that to us. The dealer have travelled to Elddis yesterday to collect the van, they are allowing us to take our van on holiday next week. .mmmm winds!!!! we will see!!!!. Once we have had our holiday they want us to drop the van back off with them so they can add the extras/mover swap and they will deliver the van back to us.

The dealer have offered a compensation pack. .

Good service recovery :)

Excellent to read - this is how it should be :)

Sadly after battling 7 months to get mine sorted under warranty and a written agreement to repair in January mine is still at the factory and next weeks holiday has had to be cancelled :(

Fair play to both dealer and manufacture for pulling out all the stops to get it sorted, just wonder who somewhere is getting the slapped wrist for missing the bunk on the order!