Loss Of B B C In Spain

Gerald

Evening.

We are on a site just north of Valencia. The BBC (& soon ITV) have changed satellites.

Does anyone know the new coordinates of this satellite? If so what are they and how do I input them. into my Sky box which we are using with a £20 Sky card . The satellite is the Astra 2e.

Cheers

Gerald

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the same satellite location but the beam has narrowed and intensified for the UK.

But that means the signal strength is lower where you are.

See long thread in Satellite section.

All BBC channels have gone. ITV and C4 due to go in a day or two.

People think a bigger dish MAY work. My s-i-l is today making a 1. 8m dish (Almeria) but that may not work.

P. S. Ladies rugby team hammered the French about 63-0 snd Man U drew. GB won its first ever Olympic medal on snow. That's all the news for now!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

BBC and ITV have moved/are moving to Astra 2E which has a different footprint and requires a much larger dish in Southern and Eastern Europe.

From http://skyinmadrid. com/pages/news. html

SPAIN
The lower third of the country has lost all BBC. Dishes of 3 metres are receiving no signal in Costa Del Sol. Most dishes in the Málaga region are 1. 2m (1. 3m vertically) which will just get the Europe beam used by Sky's pay channels. However, no BBC, ITV, Channel Four and associated channels will be received, even with a Sky subscription. The only ITV channels which can be received are ITV 2,3,4 in HD as part of the Sky HD pack.
The cut off point seems to be around Mojájar. To the north, some dishes are still working. To the south, there are no reports of any dish of any size still receiving the BBC. In Quesada, 1. 8m is OK, as is a 1. 9m in Alicante. In Benidorm, 1. 2m is OK. Mazarrón seems to be OK with 1. 8m. A 2. 4m in this region gives good rain margin.
In Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque country, many dishes have stopped working. 1. 2m to 1. 5m may now be needed. In León, a 1. 5 receives nothing, as does an 80cm in Vitoria-Gasteiz. In the Balearics, many dishes are still working.
Barcelona and Catalunya are now in a dead spot, with no measureable signal. Previously, 80-90cm dishes were used. The signal starts to appear again south of Tarragona, and north of the French border, but nothing in between. There are reports of plans for 3. 0 metre dishes being purchased in Catalunya. It remains to be seen if they will work.

I thought it was against your T&Cs to use your sky card in Spain or indeed outside UK. ?

You should be able to pick up BBC Scotland HD and BBC2HD as they have not moved. With BBC Scotland you will get most of the normal programme with the exception of regional news. You will of course need an HD receiver box.

Honda CRV Series 4 with Elddis Affinity 574

You should be able to pick up BBC Scotland HD and BBC2HD as they have not moved. With BBC Scotland you will get most of the normal programme with the exception of regional news. You will of course need an HD receiver box.

WHY?

Are they on a different satellite??

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I thought it was against your T&Cs to use your sky card in Spain or indeed outside UK. ?

I have Sky multiroom.

One room is my lounge downstairs - the other room is about 1800 miles away near Almeria.

Even so there are loads of expats in Spain and elsewhere paying the full Sky package so I don't remember the T's & C's.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Nearly half a million expats on the continent use sky,me included. ;) ;)

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

WHY? Are they on a different satellite?? Geoff

As said they didn't move them.

Honda CRV Series 4 with Elddis Affinity 574

Nearly half a million expats on the continent use sky,me included. ;) ;)

So that must mean, that its not in breach of the T&Cs then. ;) My faith in human nature is restored.

As said they didn't move them.

So they are still on the old satellite then. ........ah that explains it!

geoff

I am just north of Benidorm with a 2. 4 metre dish and I have all channels on my sky box this morning including 1 2 3 4 and 5 it is a paid for sky card.

Was there not a court case where a UK pub was receiving UK football matches through a European system and Sky tried to get it banned and the EC ruled that it would be against there rules of free trade? I think the full ruling was sometime in the autumn of last year.

Has the revolution finally begun?

If there's no BBC in Southern Spain, does that mean all the British will be moving back here again?

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

It is, if its a UK sky card, if sky find out they will cut you off

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Upto now a lot of people in Europe have enjoyed the UK television with no licence fee which is about to change so cant really moan ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Here you go:

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/business-17150054

Having a geographically 'exclusive' system is not legal.

But if the range of a THIRD party satellite doesn't cover all the areas there doesn't seem much one could do about it,surely?

geoff

No loss here in Valencia - or in many areas of Spain,.

It is simply that people dishes are now too small to receive the weaker signals.

The 2,.4m dish in Benidorm is about twice the size that is needed.

and all still fine on my 80cm dish - apart from in the early hours of the morning.

. So those in "Lost" signal areas can always move here!

The court case about football in pubs from foreign services was between the FA and a pub landlady - and was nothing to do with Sky or BT. They said it was not illegal to use a viewing card from another country - but the case failed as she used it in a public place and not in private, and so was in breach of various copyright rules by showing Premier League graphics, logos, theme tunes etc - but the match itself was not subject to copyright.

For those content with simply keeping up with the news there's always Sky News on Astra 1H at 19. 2°E which can be received almost everywhere in Europe even with a modest size of dish.

For those content with simply keeping up with the news there's always Sky News on Astra 1H at 19. 2°E which can be received almost everywhere in Europe even with a modest size of dish.

Thanks, is that a free to use service please?

Thanks, is that a free to use service please?

Yes it is.

If your using a Sky receiver with a valid viewing card nearly all Sky channels including all the Movies and Sports are still available without using a huge dish.

Were at La Manga using an 85cm at present and have no reception problems

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS