Red Pennant - Standard Or Plus Cover?

Think we've pretty much resorted to the fact that we will be using red pennant for the summer trip to France. Main reasons are the size of the van and overall peace of mind Bering in mind its the first trip abroad.

So it comes down to two prices:

- Single trip car and personal STANDARD cover £167

- Single trip car and personal PLUS cover £243

Just wondering if its really worth it paying the extra for the plus cover or stick with the standard cover.

Any advice or previous experience appreciated.

Thanks

John

Have done it both ways but as I get older and less able the extra cover is needed. ......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Try adac plus. We have used it ad needed the service in the uk and abroad. Great service for minor breakdown issues. They send the aa in the uk, which I needed yesterday for a flat battery. Took 30 mins to get going. The other time was when the caravan socket broke on the van in Dijon upon leaving for st tropez. The service was only slow due to a lunchtime bank holiday call out - 2 hours.

We have purchased red pennant before but never needed it for our trip to Venice. Crazy price though for just the trip. Adac is almost the same for entire year across the whole of Europe.

KIA SORENTO XSE. 2011 SWIFT 545 MERLIN

I went for plus. I completely wasted my money but felt assured that if I did need them, they were on hand! I'm doing the same this year too. :-)

Caravanless. ...

I've done STANDARD almost every year since 1986/7. .. and thankfully never had to call upon them!

I've gone STANDARD again this year. . but I did look at the difference between the two and decided that the lesser cover. ... which just comes down to how much money they will pay for any particular event. . is OK for me.

But then I'm a lot younger than Geoff!!!! LOL ;)

G

Try adac plus. We have used it ad needed the service in the uk and abroad. Great service for minor breakdown issues. They send the aa in the uk, which I needed yesterday for a flat battery. Took 30 mins to get going. The other time was when the caravan socket broke on the van in Dijon upon leaving for st tropez. The service was only slow due to a lunchtime bank holiday call out - 2 hours.

We have purchased red pennant before but never needed it for our trip to Venice. Crazy price though for just the trip. Adac is almost the same for entire year across the whole of Europe.

As an existing member of ADAC you are fine on breakdowns. ...Snooks still believes that they are not taking new non-German members. ......and RP as I have said,like Graham above, is comparing eggs and aquarolls,they are not the same animal. ..but after about 60 times of saying it I am giving up. ...

FINALLY. ..there are other UK breakdown organisations usually Insurance Co. Owned who can give breakdown cover inEurope even cheaper than ADAC. ....but their service may not be as good.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I thought ADAC had suspended new membership in the UK.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90021-long-term-european-breakdown-insurance/?hl=%2Badac+%2Bplus

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Red Pennant standard cover suffices our needs

FL currently at a very windswept Camping La Manga, Cartagena, Spain

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

As an existing member of ADAC you are fine on breakdowns. ...Snooks still believes that they are not taking new non-German members. ......and RP as I have said,like Graham above, is comparing eggs and aquarolls,they are not the same animal. ..but after about 60 times of saying it I am giving up. ...

FINALLY. ..there are other UK breakdown organisations usually Insurance Co. Owned who can give breakdown cover inEurope even cheaper than ADAC. ....but their service may not be as good.

Geoff

:goodpost: As usual. ...but some just won't listen Geoff!!!!

All some people see is £££££' savings. ... not exceptional all encompassing caravanning holiday in Europe insurance cover!!!

G. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by chapmag

Standard cover for us.

OWOMW currently watching the rain tip down and the waves crash on the beach from hotel balcony at Nerja (no caravan this trip :) )

Land Rover is now back towing.

The important things for us are covered 'total cost' regardless of level of cover, and the 'plus' benefits are extras we may not require or want, but it depends on the level of reassurance you feel you're happy to pay for. They are listed here:

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/7242586/red%20pennent%2016%20pager%20for%20web. pdf

We are more than happy with standard cover, but it's a personal choice. We have had to use them in the past, (big breakdown) and at the risk of boring people again, they were first class.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

We have only taken out standard cover for the last thirty years of going to the continent. Wouldn't go without it but have never felt the need for the plus.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

ADAC is still taking on UK members from a couple of offices in Germany. Details are on my website as in my signature below.

Anyone who is already a member I will be invited to renew their memberships too. Our renewal papers came in last week and now all paid up for another 12 months. Having used them twice would not move to any other Breakdown organization, have been Members for 6 years.

Snooks

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

I have only ever taken out Standard Cover RP in all the years I have been going abroad. Had to use it a couple of times, even got the labour costs back for a repair on one of our cars.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. Looks like it will be RP standard then. All the essentials are there, just the amounts on the non essentials varying accordingly.

For me, it isn't just about the breakdown cover, its peace of mind for everyone going away and knowing that things will be covered.

Some of you also mentioned about other operators cover, but my van is over 7m long and some/most won't cover that, or have cover that is really minimal to get the headline premium figure low. When you look at the detail there isn't a lot to them.

being both OAP's and me over 70 we ALWAYS take te extra cover -- we know what ever happens they will ship me home !!

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club