Mercedes Mobilo

milkymarsh

Just wondering if my mercedes mobilo breakdown cover would cater for me towing. May save me a fair bit when going abroad and negate the need for me to have mayday cover. Issue is I can't find anything on the web about towing.

What I do know is its pan European cover, but don't know whether it includes the van.

Any help appreciated.

When I had my E class, I looked into this and the information I was given was that it does not. Cannot remember if that was from Mercedes or from a forum though.

Blimey, my dealer told me it does cover me if I am towing, toured France last year and doing it again this year. .... I had better double check

Blimey, my dealer told me it does cover me if I am towing, toured France last year and doing it again this year. .... I had better double check

Let me know how you get on, as I can't find anything out from my dealer

• 3 weeks later...

Just spoken with MB customer care & they couldn't have been more helpful.

Long & short is that the car is covered exactly as per the UK, even for things like minor mishaps (lost keys, wrong fuel etc). Car will even be repatriated as well if needs be & they will provide hotel/courtesy car/taxi costs as well.

The issue comes with the trailer/caravan. If the issue abroad is down to the vehicle, the trailer/van will be placed in a 'secure location' (doesn't specify what through), until vehicle fixed or repatriated. That's where things stop.

So if you have a blowout/need help on the trailer side of things - they don't cover the van. If the car has to be repatriated, then the van will be your own responsibility to get that back (& I suspect from that point when the car is repatriated that you will be charged storage!)

Full mobile details have just been sent through by Merc & they are attached.

Looks like its Red Pennant for us!

Stattam - You may want to rethink things

MB MOBILO. pdf

I asked MB the same question and got them to email me with confirmation that they would cover the caravan whilst in Europe and with no restrictions on length (as some breakdown insurance has)

I asked MB the same question and got them to email me with confirmation that they would cover the caravan whilst in Europe and with no restrictions on length (as some breakdown insurance has)

Can you post some of the details, as they were quite explicit when I spoke with them today that it only covered the towing vehicle

Can you post some of the details, as they were quite explicit when I spoke with them today that it only covered the towing vehicle

. ..this is an extract from the email MB sent me

Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center Maastricht N. V.

In response to your recent email communication we can confirm that there would not be a size restriction for the caravan, should it be required to be taken to a safe premises following the breakdown of your vehicle. Please note that the fault of the vehicle in the event of a breakdown must not have been attributed to in any way by the caravan.

As you can see it suggests that the caravan will be removed "to a safe premises" in the event of the breakdown of the towing vehicle. This is not the same level of cover as offered by Red Pennant - but as it is included in the warranty of the car it is a lot less expensive and suits me

I am still taking out Red Pennant even though I have Mobilo. If I broke down solo I think Mobilo might be my first port of call having had experience with Kia cover in the past that worked well and probably quicker than RP but if there is any issue with the van then RP

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

. ..this is an extract from the email MB sent me

Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center Maastricht N. V. In response to your recent email communication we can confirm that there would not be a size restriction for the caravan, should it be required to be taken to a safe premises following the breakdown of your vehicle. Please note that the fault of the vehicle in the event of a breakdown must not have been attributed to in any way by the caravan.

As you can see it suggests that the caravan will be removed "to a safe premises" in the event of the breakdown of the towing vehicle. This is not the same level of cover as offered by Red Pennant - but as it is included in the warranty of the car it is a lot less expensive and suits me

Ys, they'll take your van to a pound, but that's as far as it goes. They won't cover you for van punctures or issues, so technically the van isn't covered of there are issues with it

I am still taking out Red Pennant even though I have Mobilo. If I broke down solo I think Mobilo might be my first port of call having had experience with Kia cover in the past that worked well and probably quicker than RP but if there is any issue with the van then RP

David - that's exactly what we are planning to do. Anything van or people related its RP. Just car, its mobilo. Good cover the for vehicle as it even covers repatriation, so if going solo abroad you'd be fine, its just the tin box you tow behind that needs covering!!

For clarity, I've just had this back from MB. Makes it pretty clear as to the scope of their cover:

Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

We write to you in response to your recent email communication regarding your enquiry. We note from your correspondence that the procedure for a breakdown towing a trailer is not listed in our literature.

As discussed during our telephone call, if your vehicle breaks down, your trailer will be taken to a secure place. If the fault is due to the trailer and not the vehicle, unfortunately you are not covered by Mercedes-Benz Mobilo.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.

many thanks all for this in particular Milkymarsh, haven't got round to contacting my dealer again but probably wont bother now. Took out full insurance plus including red pennant last night for our next trip.

thanks again

many thanks all for this in particular Milkymarsh, haven't got round to contacting my dealer again but probably wont bother now. Took out full insurance plus including red pennant last night for our next trip.

thanks again

Not a problem. I would hate for something sinister abroad to happen and then you/any merc driver left stranded