Damp Meter

annie29d

Hi can anyone advise where I can buy a meter to test for damp in my van.

Had it serviced the other day and indicated high reading in one area, the mechanic advised that we had it tested again in 3 months but thought it may be due to rain coming through from a small section above the awning rail which could possibly need resealing. My husband is going to try to re-seal and then it will hopefully dry out but need to buy a tester to check that is the problem.

any advice appreciated

Annie

I bought one of these last week and it gives readings the same as other meters I've used on the van.

Cant complain for 12 quid

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/4-Pin-PRO-Digital-Moisture-Damp-Meter-Detector-Tester-Plaster-Wood-Timber-Sensor-/231088033183?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item35cdeb8d9f

Hi thanks for this Do the pin type not leave holes in the caravan walls. ......the non evasive ones which I assume they use when carrying out the service are expensive

Yes tiny little pin holes, before I got my tester I looked in the bottom corners of the van (behind the toilet was a good spot) and could already see them where testing had been done before. I've heard of testers being used under the window seals to hide the holes but I find you get slightly higher readings here anyway.

I've used 2 pin testers previously and got very similar readings but made less holes.

TBH I dont worry about them as they are so small and you tend to use it in dark corners and cupboards anyway.

I use a £400 damp meter as I have it for my job but it gives almost the same readings as my plasplugs one, the difference is that my works one, a Protimeter surveymaster has a rear sensor that will not leave pin holes. they just measure any electrical charge between the prongs which will occur if damp is present, be aware that most things have around a 15-20% reading anyway.

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

This is a cheap and cheerful one that I use for a quick check. Bought it online a while back.

Protimeter LCD.jpg

I was also given one of the small LED ones from the local DIY centre, but frankly that's not much better than just feeling the surface for damp.

Protimeter LED.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I bought one of these last week and it gives readings the same as other meters I've used on the van.

Cant complain for 12 quid

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/4-Pin-PRO-Digital-Moisture-Damp-Meter-Detector-Tester-Plaster-Wood-Timber-Sensor-/231088033183?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item35cdeb8d9f

. ... I've got that one . ... just using it at the moment . ... to meassure to water content of the fire-wood I'm just splitting . ...

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I've just bought one from Aldi for £6. 99

regards

Lester Rope

VW Passat 2. 0 SE TDi followed by Adria Adora 612DP Lunar Champ H621 - we have moved to the dark side

I think I got a bad un from Aldi. I have a maplin one which agreed almost exactly with the mobile service guys protimeter at various different levels just last week.

The Aldi one appeared to under read at anything 10% or less but then over read quite badly on anything getting close to 15%

I only bought the Aldi one as I thought it was non intrusive - felt a bit of a plonker when I got it home and realised the end popped off to reveal the two pins . ..doh

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

I bought an Aldi one some years ago and it seemed to work well on my previous vans but my present van, a Bailey Orion, the inner wall covering is a hard plastic and cannot be pierced with the prongs but the walls have no wood content and the last engineer said damp would be visible on th walls and to just check the floor level for damp not visible on the walls.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4