I Have Been Totally Stupid

I write this with total embarrassment and anger with myself. :blink::angry:

I have applied on line to renew our passports for myself and my wife 2 weeks ago, so imagine my surprise when 2 letters drop through my letter box yesterday from the passport office saying I have forgotten to include the fee of £72. 50 for each application (I had already paid on line) so I telephoned the passport office and was told that you cant pay on line, then the penny dropped, I had used the wrong web site. I should of used www. gov. uk and not www. uk-passport. net/Gov-UK .

Were I went wrong was that I didn't read the BEFORE YOU START section first, I just assumed I was on the right web site (wrongggg).

This lesson has cost me £138. 00 to have 2 forms filled in that I could have done myself from the post office and I still have to pay the passport office £145. 00 to receive our passports.

I have also phoned my bank to cancel my bank card and apply for a new one just in case that has been compromised.

So what I am saying is please learn by my stupid mistake and double check everything.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Hi, we all have a dumb day and all may not be lost.

Have a read on here on how you MAY get a refund.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I write this with total embarrassment and anger with myself. :blink::angry:

I have applied on line to renew our passports for myself and my wife 2 weeks ago, so imagine my surprise when 2 letters drop through my letter box yesterday from the passport office saying I have forgotten to include the fee of £72. 50 for each application (I had already paid on line) so I telephoned the passport office and was told that you cant pay on line, then the penny dropped, I had used the wrong web site. I should of used www. gov. uk and not www. uk-passport. net/Gov-UK .

Were I went wrong was that I didn't read the BEFORE YOU START section first, I just assumed I was on the right web site (wrongggg).

This lesson has cost me £138. 00 to have 2 forms filled in that I could have done myself from the post office and I still have to pay the passport office £145. 00 to receive our passports.

I have also phoned my bank to cancel my bank card and apply for a new one just in case that has been compromised.

So what I am saying is please learn by my stupid mistake and double check everything.

If you paid by card surely you can get it refunded back to your account? Many people are being caught out by this scam. There is a similar site for the DVLA which charges you for stuff that you can receive for free. My aunt got caught as she needed a VISA. She paid something like £125 when she could have got it for free.

There was no fraud, so you can't claim it back.

It clearly states on the home page what it is and what it is not. However, if you follow a link through the google search, it takes you straight to the form filling page and by passes the warning on the home page. That is where people are fooled.

An email to the site could result in a refund, carefully worded and sooner the better.

H.

Easily done ! I nearly fell for it too. .............

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

This scam trap is set to catch the unwary and was covered on the TV Watchdog program a few weeks back.

Unfortunately, because they are providing what is a very poor quality service, simply checking that you have filled in your passport application correctly, you have no comeback. :angry:

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

A scam is maybe a too harsh description for what they do.

They clearly put on their front page who they are and what they do. If people do not read it, then can they really be held to blame?

If you want to know what a scam is, then send me £10 via cash, cheque or paypal and I will show you how to earn money without leaving your home!

disclaimer - please do not send me any money as this is a scam!

H.

Oh my word, that's a lot of money out of the holiday budget. A friend has just been caught by the "alternative" DVLA website for a fee for renewing her driving licence now that she's over 70.

Whilst this won't benefit you this time, others will be reading this and, I have to say that the Post Office Check & Send service is well worth the few extra quid. I renewed my passport last year and had it back in 6 days, and my Dad's was back in 5 and the year before, my son and husband needed new passports and theirs were also back in 5 and that was at a time when the Passport Office claimed to be at their busiest (February/March) and said there were delays with renewals.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

If you fill tax return on-line there is a site charging to send your return in for you.

BEWARE

They have the name GATEWAY in their web address,

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

It's not just the passport office that you need to be wary of. Other dubious sites can charge you for "processing your application" on the following

1. EHIC. (European Health Insurance Card). It's free if you apply on the NHS site.

2. ESTA for USA. It's $14 if you apply on the official site.

Brian

Thanks for having the guts to admit your mistake, hopefully it will save someone else the annoyance of being scammed .

I used the Post Office check scheme last time I renewed, the counter clerk goes through the entire form with you & the documents go in a special pouch straight to the correct passport office. We ordered ours on a Friday & they were renewed & returned by the following Friday.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Article about them in todays Sun Teleg. The Google link sent you to the form filling part, so by-passing the Homepage where it declared to be NOT part of the HMRC site.

You just have to be very cynical nowadays and not trust anyone online - or hardly anyone, especially where money is concerned.

If you fill tax return on-line there is a site charging to send your return in for you.

BEWARE

They have the name GATEWAY in their web address,

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Another way to get conned on the Internet. I have recently got all the gear to take up fishing and so far I have only fished in the sea but when I looked on line about getting a fishing licence for river fishing, I was amazed to see how expensive it was. My son pointed out that I was on the wrong site and when I found the Environment Agency proper site, it was about half the price!

Lunar Clubman 475EK towed by Vauxhall Zafira Design 1. 9Cdti 150

They rely on people linking from Google and not checking what they are doing sadly. As you say in OP may help others which is always a good thing.

A useful tip is to always find out beforehand how much a licence/VISA/Passport etc should cost and at least that will then flag up an issues when you get asked for a different amount

EHIC is another one - these are FREE and no one should be asking you for any money for these.

As for check and send, never used it and have always had pretty quick turnaround

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Site seems to have been removed now.

Edited by SteveMilner

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

The Grauniad has been covering this for a while too. Its down to Google putting the 'paid for' links first in the search results.

http://www. theguardian. com/money/2013/nov/17/google-drivers-licence-passport-fees

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Actually the website is still there, just that the posed link doesn't work.

I have sent an email to the company concerned, but I won't hold my breath.

I did this all in a hurry and didn't realize that you can renew 9 months in advance :blink::angry:

On a similar thread, I had to replace our EHIC cards last week. When I googled EHIC, the first site offered to replace the cards at a fee of £23. 50 !

Of course these cards are free through the official government site.

I'm sure quite a few people have been caught blissfully unaware by this

The Grauniad has been covering this for a while too. Its down to Google putting the 'paid for' links first in the search results.

http://www. theguardian. com/money/2013/nov/17/google-drivers-licence-passport-fees

I don't see the point in blaming google.

However if the journos did what they used to do, when they had some integrity, they would have gone out of their way to expose the people behind this site, lobbied the card companies not to take the payments, looked at the data protection registration and raised complaints, asked HMRC VAT office to start an investigation etc. etc.

Obviously just my 2c worth of rant.

Regards,

Stephen

Would it be asking to much for Google to put government official sites up first and the chancers next :unsure:

I think 'official' sites should always come top of the pecking order, but obviously google are swayed by the payments they get from these dubious sites. I imagine the 'rogues' must spend a lot on Google Ad Words or 'Search Engine Maximisation' techniques to get to the top of the search list.

Despite the post above saying 'Don't blame google', they do have a lot to answer for as until recently the . gov sites came top of the search list with the dubious hangers on underneath.

There is a whole industry devoted to getting firms on to the 1st page of every search engine results outcome. I am sure these firms will pay to get their expertise & get in front of any official free site, after all how else would they make their scams work.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.