Diesel Battery

nutrunner

hi all can i use a battery out of a diesel car in my swift caravan, didnt realise it was from a diesel when given to me and tried to put on chargev and it melted my charger scared to put it in the van

liverpool fc- boxing and fishing- camping

A battery is a battery and I would suggest that you connected it up wrong if it melted your battery charger or the battery is no good. You can put a car battery in a caravan but they are not as effective as leisure batteries are designed to hold the charge longer. Car batteries are intended for short high powered use.

There is no difference between a battery in a diesel car and one in a petrol car.

I would buy a leisure battery particularly if you intend to go off EHU at any time.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Simple answer no.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Simple answer no.

Really!

Are you sure you have nothing else to add to that elaborate advice? Is there something special about swifts that prohibit the use of a 'car' battery? Maybe you want to explain, as an award winning dealer, why your answer is the best advice for the posters question.

As for the OP, the difference in batteries is that they need a different charge cycle to get the best out of them. You can use a 'car' battery but it would not be the best long term option, and if you are going off EHU then the right tool for the job will give a better result.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Simple answer no.

I'm afraid your answer is simply wrong.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

very strange how it happened, but can i still put the battery in my van will it blow up the onboard charger thats what im scared of, i will be still used a hookup and i only go on electric hook up pitches

Simple answer no.

Oh dear! I've been using diesel car batteries in my caravans for more than twenty years. Usually I transfer the battery from my tow car into the van when it's three years old, and give the car a new one. Admittedly I nearly always use sites with EHU, but the diesel battery performs very well when the caravan is using the motor mover.

To the OP - go ahead and use a diesel car battery - after you've sorted your charger problems. Just don't expect it to give you long term usage when you're caravanning off mains electric.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If you only use sites with ehu should not be a problem . Some people only use car batteries to save money and for movers .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Well for the particular battery if you connected it to the charger correctly then I would say the battery has a problem, in that case for that battery I would say Reads are correct. In that if it snuffed one charger it is likely to do the same to the van system.

The others in my opinion have answered correctly for the fitting of a non faulty battery.

hi all can i use a battery out of a diesel car in my swift caravan, didnt realise it was from a diesel when given to me and tried to put on chargev and it melted my charger scared to put it in the van

Have you checked the battery for charge? I wonder if your friend got rid because its a cell down?shorted etc

edit

screenman types faster than me :blush:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

just cleaned and checked the connecters my own fault i put the pos on neg so no wonder it melted now i have to but a new charger stupid me

the 2 leads are completely melted and smoke was pouring out of it so its terminal its now in the bin, my own stupidness

the 2 leads are completely melted and smoke was pouring out of it so its terminal its now in the bin, my own stupidness

You should not be so quick to blame yourself, I see you are married so there must be some way the wife can take the blame.

hahaha i havnt told he the truth told her it was the batteries fault so she says i can have a new charger andshe will pay for it as a birthday prezzy , so all is well that ends well

Lying to your wife when you know full well that you were to blame!!

Welcome to the club, see you at the bar for a swift one ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

hahahaha hope she dont see this

Connecting a charger the wrong way is easy to do.

Make sure your new charger has reverse polarity protection, otherwise you'll be getting an advance Christmas present as well :)

Land Rover is now back towing.

:wub:

Connecting a charger the wrong way is easy to do.

Make sure your new charger has reverse polarity protection, otherwise you'll be getting an advance Christmas present as well :)

A customer of mine connected a battery charger the wrong way round to his Vauxhall Corsa, the bill came to nearly £1500 to replace all the electronic components it fried.

As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Edited by Steve W77

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

its terrible what can happen all the yrs ive been charging batteries, and one moment of stupidity lucky it was only the charger that melted

I am amazed your battery melted your charger.

Almost all modern chargers are fitted with power diodes that only work one way Ie connect the wrong way round-will not charge.

I used second hand car batteries in my caravan for 20 years no problem.

You should use the correct battery but it will work-even better than a leasure battery for a caravan mover-in theory-at least IE high discharge.

I used my leasure battery in my straight 6 diesel Beemer for almost a year.

Since the beemer could not read and hence did not know the battery should not work it fired up every time summer and winter including 20 degrees of frost :D.

it did, the 2 cables melted and smoke came out of it in less than a second stupid me

hahaha no ta laa