Whats The Furthest Any One Has Travelled (From The Uk) In Their Caravan

gaz_wba

As per the title, what is the furthest anyone has travelled in their van, or the most exotic place, anyone has gone.

Just out of curosity.

Mine is Devon, lol, them hills going to Devon cliffs were a killer, one time when having a 2. 7L 4x4 was a godsend (travelled from Walsall)

Went to St Tropez, but it was my very first time over the channel.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

My parents took their caravan to Croatia for their Golden Wedding aged 70 in 1998!

They arrived and left the next day. .. saying "It's full of b***** Germans and 42C, we're heading back!!!"

Bless them they still were doing Spain for 6 weeks in the autumn when they were 80!

They're now 86 and both are suffering from dementia. .. but by God they've been an inspiration to how we will spend our latter years!!!

Some joke. .. but Adventure before Dementia is our new Mantra!!!!

G.

In our van; either the Algarve or the Amalfi coast depending on whether you count the ferry to Santander. However we have hired a camper van in Cairns, Australia and visited Undara for the incredible lava tubes. http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Undara_Volcanic_National_Park

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

We immigrated to New Zealand in2007 and shipped our Sterling Europa 525 with us. We sold it out there when we came back, and we have regretted it ever since. Does this count? Lol

2013 Swift Challenger 565 se 2010 Honda CRV 2. 2 Exec

There are members on here that have towed down to Morocco and then toured.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We took our caravan to Iceland in 2000.

While touring the USA in 1994 in a rented motorhome we came across someone in Arizona that had even shipped his outfit across the Atlantic for a 6 month trip.

Edited by Lutz

Lake Garda for us, but that was 42 dregs, way too hot for us, so after 6 days we retreated to the mountains in Austria - heaven!

Oh, we did go high in the Pyrenees last year, but cheated on the long ferry down to Bilbao - does that count?

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

For more than 20 years, each November I've towed my van down through France and then to southern Spain - a round trip of 2760 miles, but now, having had my 84th birthday here in Spain, I've become lazy and take the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander. That reduces the towed mileage to just 1200 miles. Perish the thought - I've got to pack up and make that return trip in less than three weeks.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Look back to caravan mags from the 50's and 60's and they all seem to include some story of towing to Greece . .. or Russia . . or Egypt . .. or

They seemed more adventurous.

Often they were towing with things like an Austin 1100!

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

We took our caravan to Iceland in 2000.

While touring the USA in 1994 in a rented motorhome we came across someone in Arizona that had even shipped his outfit across the Atlantic for a 6 month trip.

A lot of people of people now go out to the US buy a RV tour for a year then bring it back and make about 75k and pays for the holiday and transport.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

In the days before retirement our furthest journeys with the caravan or folding camper were to Warsaw, Krakow, Budapest, Slovenia and Corsica. Spread over 20 years I might add! Since retirement we have covered Italy as far south as Pompeii. Plot these sites on a map and we have been lucky to visit nearly everywhere else in between them as well.

Future plans include Croatia and the heel of Italy and would also love to tour the USA in an RV again.

Just hoping our good health continues.

John.

A lot of people of people now go out to the US buy a RV tour for a year then bring it back and make about 75k and pays for the holiday and transport.

Dave

The chap that we met did the opposite. He took his outfit to America. I presume he wanted to keep his car and caravan with which he was familiar.

There are members on here that have towed down to Morocco and then toured.

Dave

Yep we did in 2010 at the age of 72 - fantastic country! see http://www. tednewman. me. uk/Marocco1. htm

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Lido di Jessolo with a Triumph 2. 5PI pulling Sprite Major. Couldn't go any further south cos no time and, oh yes - couldn't trust the car!

Sam :beardy:

Portugal (Lagos) would be the furthest we have towed which is good run from Dumfries via Dover -Calais and down through France then through the Somport Tunnel to Spain.

FL currently at Camping La Manga

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

The furthest we have been is Rome that was 35 years ago with a Ford Consel and a 4 berth Monza rented off Towsend Thorington,(I think that's how you spell it).first time the OH had ever towed, now we seem to stick to the Italian Lakes because we love it so. I just love to read some of the blog's,the distance some of our fellow caravaners go is amazing.

post 16 :goodpost: What an adventure.

The wife will not fly she is not keen on tunnels or ferries so caravanning abroad presents its problems :D.

We have towed all over Europe however over 40 years camping and caravanning.

The farthest we have towed is Prague with our immaculate Maxi 1750 towing a Sprite.

Being a BMC vehicle I had to change the Maxi clutch by the roadside-quite normal in those days.

That was via Holland France Germany and Poland.

Furthest distance probably Sardinia, furthest South Tarife in Spain, towed to Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy, France, Spain presently plotting a trip around Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia and all countries on the return leg, I never go back the way I came.

Its getting a tad expensive now, the price of Fuel is murdering my lifestyle and I fear another major price rise will end my adventures.

Post 16 WOW I am in awe, what a great adventure, I, may send my children a link to the website /blog, that should get them worrying :D

Edited by Petercheason
Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

We left the UK with our last van a Swift Accord 530 in August 2012 and toured France, Spain, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and The Netherlands getting back into the UK at the end of July 2013.

Currently in Spain until April, if you've got it use it thats our motto !!

1986 & again 1988 drove down to Yugoslavia as it was then, via France. Belgium, Germany, Austria, and Italy. Jaguar XJ6 and Abbey Lancaster. Hate to think what the fuel cost would be now. I used to get 13 to the gallon when towing !!!

Southern Italy but looking to go further on the next trip.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.