I Think It Has Died

It's looking as though my leisure battery has died, I bought a 10w solar panel last week and went to the storage compound to fit it on Sunday, needless to say the battery was flat, 6. 54v. I have had the battery on charge now for about 30 hours but it still isn't charged. I'm considering buying a Banner 100ah battery as the van has a mover and an alarm which I keep on. I know that 10w is not enough to charge the battery but it was bought simply to try and prolong the period between removal and recharging of the battery, I'll probably get another 10w panel before next winter and fit that in series. I have a Selmar automatic three stage charger so I know that the battery will be properly charged when I do need to charge it. Now for the questions. The solar panel came with a charge controller but I don't know whether to fit that as I believe that it is not strictly needed as the panel is less than 20w, is that correct? I presume I will need to fit it when I get the other panel. If I have to remove the new battery for charging what is the lowest ah 12v battery I can fit assuming a charging time for the removed battery of 48 hours, and does it have to be a car/caravan type or simply lead acid?

2011 Lunar Clubman ES & 2007 Hyundai Tucson Ltd

I only have a 15ah solar panel and no I don't need a regulator. .the maker said so. ...........I did have a larger one before which I did fit one to easily.

Battery. ..frankly I always go for 110ah leisure anyway. ..but many here use the cheapest lead acid car batteries without problem.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

You say the charger you are using is an intelligent charger.

An intelligent charger won't recognise a battery with that low voltage.

If you have access to an older (non-intelligent) charger. . put the battery on that for the daylight hours and then switch to an intelligent charger,

I've brought Leisure Batteries back to life from below that voltage. . so give it one more go!

HTH,

G.

Edited by chapmag

You say the charger you are using is an intelligent charger.

An intelligent charger won't recognise a battery with that low voltage.

If you have access to an older (non-intelligent) charger. . put the battery on that for the daylight hours and then switch to an intelligent charger,

I've brought Leisure Batteries back to life from below that voltage. . so give it one more go!

HTH,

G.

Hi

Yes, I've a great ALDI intelegent charger and they won't charge when the voltage is that low. The battery on my spare car ( summer sort top) was down to 6v last month so I hooked the battery up to my car with jump leads and ran it for about 15 minuites, THEN the charger saw enough voltage to charge it. Never tried it with a leisure battery but worth a go perhaps?

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I bought a small solar panel with the idea of keeping battery topped up but after a month realised battery voltage was down so switched on mains supply never got around to finding out why.

It could be my battery is US and has a high internal discharge or it could be the panel is discharging at night maybe no diode in circuit. Since my wife took out the van this weekend and had no power until mains plugged in I think battery is US I will test when she returns.

I may have been misleading about my charger, according to the label it is a 'fully automatic high performance leisure battery charger' with three charge state led's, discharged, half charged and fully charged. The charger itself is probably 10 years or more old but has brought batteries back from the dead before. I checked again this morning and it is still showing only half charged after 48 hrs so looks as if I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new one.

2011 Lunar Clubman ES & 2007 Hyundai Tucson Ltd

It doesn't sound very healthy. There are 'reconditioning' chargers you can buy that purport to break down the sulphate crystals (e. g. most of the CTEK range) that are a cause of premature battery ageing but these are going to be as expensive as a new battery and you'll likely never get it back to 100% health. There are some things you could try before you recycle it:

• Check electrolyte levels (if possible), they should be about 2cm above the plates.
  • Carefully slosh the electrolyte around, as if it were being driven. Stratification of the electrolyte over a long period of time will result in the sulphuric acid separating from the water.

The C&CC recommend a solar controller for any panel wattage above 10% of the battery capacity e. g. 110AH / 10% = anything above 11 Watts.

If the only thing you want to power during your 48hrs recharge time is an alarm, then I would say you would need a 10AH battery*. Literally any type of 12v battery would be suitable for this usage - a car battery would be overkill.

Assume alarm draws 200mA, that's 0. 2A x 48 hours = 9. 6AH.