I've Got The Wrong Electrics On My Towbar.

Phillippa42

Picked up my new (to me) caravan today after having a towbar fitted. I just got a single electic socket fitted to my towbar as I wasn't too fussed about running the fridge while towing. But have now realised it would also have charged the leisure battery while driving.

Would getting a second electric socket on the towbar be really expensive? Would I be better off buying a battery charger? If I get a battery charger can I plug the charger into a caravan socket when camping with ehu and charge it at the campsite?

Van is in storage and its going to be a pain to have to keep taking the battery out and bringing it home to charge it.

Hi Phillipa

You dont need a charger when your on EHU, there should be a charger on the caravan and it will charge the battery constantky for you when your on site.

But if you really wanted to charge the battery and cool the fridge when towing it shouldnt cost too much to add another socket.

Trev

We caravanned for years with just the single black socket.

On site, as normal, plugging into EHU will charge up your battery as always.

We never missed charging whilst towing. It would be useful if you do a bit of wild camping or non-EHU sites but really it wasn't worth our while to get the 2nd grey socket which is much more costly.

The other consideration is running your fridge whilst driving. But we went to France with fridge 'off' and a 2l bottle frozen down in the fridge. 24hrs later arrived in France with placky bottle 1/2 full of ice.

So it is your choice. If money is a bit tight, then don't fit it.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Dont worry too much about it. You can charge the battery once onsite once you plug in the EHU. The only issue really is if you have movers they can run the battery down and you may have to take it home and charge it seperately

Thanks. Haven't got a mover so that's not an issue. The plastic bottle full of ice is a great tip, thanks.

I think I'll mainly be using sites with ehu but I might sometimes go away with no ehu. I think my battery would last a while, got a 100ah one. But after I've used a bit of it or after its just lost some charge while the caravans at the storage site I need to be able to charge it up. Bought the battery new today and according to the meter in the caravan its only 75% charged so it must have lost some charge in the shop.

The new battery is only dry charged before sale, that is, during manufacture the plates are charged without any acid in the battery, the acid is normally put in by the retailer.

The battery needs to be conditioned by placing it on charge for around 24 hours, preferably on a smart charger.

This is something that buyers are never told when they purchase a battery, sadly.

Non-EHU - I do a 4 night stint every year (Star watching in a field) and my 6 year old 110VA battery lasts every year no problem. Running hot water and cooking on gas. Many others on CT last similar or lomger time.

I bought a spare 2nd hand battery off eBay but never yet used it.

I charge up at home at start of the season and after Star watching, with a car battery charger but others here recommend a smart charger. One day I might buy one. .......

Graham

Yes. I've had an ATC van for 2 years and had the extra grey socket fitted last May.

Next time out, the ATC fired up and gave me a surprise!

So Yes it does.

Graham

If you're thinking of fitting another socket, you might want to consider fitting 13-pin towing electrics and, assuming your caravan is pre-1999MY, using a 13-pin to 12N/12S adapter. Future-proofs your car for newer model caravans. If your 'van is post 1999MY, then you'll have everything you need to take advantage of single 13-pin towing electrics e. g. fridge, charging etc

As has been said, you don't need a charger if you're on EHU - your 'van's power supply will also charge the battery. A smart charger only has two unique advantages over a 'dumb' charger: faster charge and [some have] reconditioning modes. If these are not valuable to you, don't waste your money on a smart charger.

The new battery is only dry charged before sale, that is, during manufacture the plates are charged without any acid in the battery, the acid is normally put in by the retailer.

How does a lead-acid battery charge without an electrolyte? Did you mean that the lead and lead oxide plates are manufactured and built into the battery without an electrolyte, which is subsequently added by the retailer allowing the discharge reaction to begin?

Thanks, will see how I get on for now and if I do get another socket later on will get the 13 pin one and an adapter. Makes sense rather than having to redo it if I get a new van later on.

I think 'dry-charged' is an industry slang term. The battery is made complete except for adding electrolyte (dilute sulphuric acid) and when the electrolyte is added the chemical reaction can start. There is no degradation until electrolyte is added and it is safer and lighter to transport.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.