Overnight Stopover Near Chartres Any Recommendations

Hello all I have just booked a trip down through France into Spain with the caravan in march returning back in April via Clement Ferrand to Calais and we are looking for a site around Chartres on the return leg the only one we found is (les Bords de l"Eure ) but looking at some reviews we are not sure about stopping there has anyone used this site or can you recommend another one in the area please.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I THINK you mean Chartres in France. So I've edited the spelling to make it clear to others.

Do hope I'm right and that you don't mind!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We stayed there last year. We've been before, and think the site has definitely deteriorated over the years between. The manager was a surly so and so, his wife in the shop/take-away equally so, the sanitary facilities we thought were run down and lacked maintenance - rotting door bottoms, flaking paintwork, broken tiles, etc. , Pitches were mostly dark and shady, and the vegetation around the site was lush and un-mown with some broken fences and barriers around the site. Generally not a good impression. In addition we were handed noticed on arrival warning about thefts from the site - which puts you off to start with.

If you're coming back after the 17th April, then I would suggest the Huttopia site at Senonches, which is outside of Chartes, but can be used on a route which can take you cross-country back to Nonancourt, and avoids the potential hold-ups at the junction of the N154/A12.

Otherwise you might find something on the Municipal Campsites website which lists all the municipal sites in the area. The municipal site, Le Pre Eglise, at St Remy sur Avre, north of Dreux, is a good one, easily accessible from the main route.

Edited by ValA

If you are only looking for an overnight stop then Camping Les Bords de l'Eure at Chartres should be OK. We stopped there about 3 years ago. The site is a bit run down, or it was then, but acceptable. There were a variety of pitches available depending on your requirement. When we were the weather was not unlike what we are experiencing here at present so we pitched near the central toilet etc block. The toilets and showers could have done with an upgrade but they were clean and the water was hot and plentiful. There is a small shop at reception that sold morning bread croissants etc. There is a lovely walk into the town altho' a bit of a pull up to the cathedral but worth it, if just for the beer in the cafe outside the cathedral. We survived 2 days at this site without mishap. Les Bords de l'Eure is an ACSI site charging €14 per night. Val A has been to the site after our visit and it would seem that there has been little in the way of smartening up the site. That said, based on our visit, I would use it again as a stopover.

Edited by Clubman

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

Les Bords de l'Eure was like that 5 years ago too. ..we actually found the manager helpful but the shop wasn't open as early in season. ...toilets/showers clean and hot water but rough would describe them then. ......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

This one is north of Chartres http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/camping_les_ilots_de_st_val. html, perfectly fine for an overnight stop.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi

We have stayed (on different expeditions) both at Camping Les Bord de l'Eure and at Les Ilots de St Val (mentioned in David's post).

Camping Les Bord de L'Eure is OK for an overnight stop. It was a busy site (mid September), but the reception staff were perfectly amiable and helpful. It's big advantage is that you can walk along the river into the centre of Chartres, which is not the easiest town to drive into and park.

Les Ilots de St Val is accurately described by David, and is about 30 km north of Chartres. The facilites are well kept. As he says, it has mainly statics (in common with many such sites in the north of France), but there are designated areas for tourers. We found the reception very friendly and helpful. If approaching from the N154, take care not to try to tow through the centre of Nogent le Roi, which is particularly narrow. There is an effective unsigned bypass to the south west of the town (turn right just past the Intermarche on the right).

Cheers

Paul R T

We stayed at Les Bord de L'Eure about 5 years ago for a couple of nights to explore Chartres and see the spectacular evening Son et Lumiere show on the Cathedral Walls and along the river side: you can easily walk into town from the site. We were there in early May and the site felt crowded even then.

If I was looking for just an overnight halt, I would continue for the extra 30 mins further north to Le Pre Eglise at St Remy sur Avre beyond Dreux as mentioned by ValA above (it is listed under Nonancourt if you have the CC Europe book). It means that you by-pass Chartres and this site is within a couple of minutes of the main road you will be taking for Rouen - turn off to the right as you reach the village and follow the signs for camping or the sports centre. It is very much easier and quicker than going into Chartres and you are that much further on the road to Rouen the next morning with the roundabouts of Dreux already behind you.

It was open from the beginning of April in 2013 and when we stopped there in early June, there was lots of space. The pitches are large and the facilities are modern and kept very clean. The warden is there in the early evening and again in the morning. It is a municipal site with no shop but there is a bakery about 5 mins walk away - on the three times we have stayed there, we have never looked for a restaurant nearby.

We stayed at Les Bord de L'Eure about 5 years ago for a couple of nights to explore Chartres and see the spectacular evening Son et Lumiere show on the Cathedral Walls and along the river side: you can easily walk into town from the site. We were there in early May and the site felt crowded even then.

If I was looking for just an overnight halt, I would continue for the extra 30 mins further north to Le Pre Eglise at St Remy sur Avre beyond Dreux as mentioned by ValA above (it is listed under Nonancourt if you have the CC Europe book). It means that you by-pass Chartres and this site is within a couple of minutes of the main road you will be taking for Rouen - turn off to the right as you reach the village and follow the signs for camping or the sports centre. It is very much easier and quicker than going into Chartres and you are that much further on the road to Rouen the next morning with the roundabouts of Dreux already behind you.

It was open from the beginning of April in 2013 and when we stopped there in early June, there was lots of space. The pitches are large and the facilities are modern and kept very clean. The warden is there in the early evening and again in the morning. It is a municipal site with no shop but there is a bakery about 5 mins walk away - on the three times we have stayed there, we have never looked for a restaurant nearby.

There is a Chinese restaurant just along the main road from Le Pre Eglise, one of those 'buffet' style ones, with a large parking area, and there are a couple of little French restaurants in Nonancourt itself - but not open every night.

We stayed at Les Bord 2 years ago it was run down very muddy and we certainly never felt safe on the site with some very drunken residents about. My advice stear we'll clear !

We are travelling back around 13th april and have decided not to use Les bord so will stay at le pre eglise as suggested by ValA and others.

Thank you all very much for your help.