12V Cool Box - Will It Work Lying On Its Side?

mfep

I've got a redundant shelf in the caravan (currently occupied by an unused microwave). I'm thinking it would be a good space to hold an electric cool box for the beer and wine instead of taking up space in the fridge. I know that fridges have to be level in order to work properly and wonder if these cool boxes are the same? The only models I can see all have a lid opening at the top, which would be no good for me due to the limited shelf height. If I lay the box down on its side, so the lid opens at the front of the shelf would the cooling mechanism work? I realise this isn't a great description of my problem, but hopefully someone will make sense of it and put me right. Thanks.

Most of these coolboxes use the Peltier principle, whereby passing a current through two specific metals joined together absorbs energy and hence cools. These devices will therefore work at any angle. They take about 4 amps from 12v, though.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Yes, unless yours is an absorption or compressor unit. Most are Peltier units and will even work upsdide down - my old Halford's one is designed to be used with the hatch on top or on it's side like a fridge. As said, they take between 4-5 amps so make sure the cabling is adequate (at least 2. 5mm2 if you've got long runs back to the distribution board).You'll need a 10amp fuse in line with it and don't try to run it from the van battery as it will flatten it in about 12-14 hours.

Just make sure that you allow enough space around the air intake & exhaust slots

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We have one that we use in the awning for the beer & wine, but there is some condensation inside when in use - if you are going to use it laid on its side there is always the possibility of this running out; so if you can fit it at a slight angle it would probably be preferable.

Sounds silly but you need to check if the lid can be locked so that it won't fall off.

It may not be so efficient. Cold air sinks to the bottom so when stood upright it can't escape. On it's side, the cold air will leak out so it may not stay so cold.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Most of these coolboxes use the Peltier principle, whereby passing a current through two specific metals joined together absorbs energy and hence cools. These devices will therefore work at any angle. They take about 4 amps from 12v, though.

They also work the opposite way round :)

I want one so I can make a fan for the top of our multi fuel stove. If the peltier unit has heat from one side & cool at the other they produce electric for the fan.

I'm still thinking of making one for the caravan fire, it would produce electric for the truma fan without using any electric from the battery, it would also automatically adjust the speed of the fan according to the heat output of the fire.

could be a project for tic-tag :ph34r:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If you go onto t'interweb you can get peltier modules for £3-4. I've got one sitting in the shed at the moment, waiting for me to get enthused enough to go out and have a go at making my own ecofan. I've got a small motor and a heatsink, just need some fanblades and I'm away

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I've just thrown a 12/240 fridge away (too noisy) complete with a peltier unit (why is it you dump things a couple of week before you need them)

I'm so impressed with our ecofans that I wanted to make one myself,

Anyway the fridge has gone along with is peltier so I've looked into peltier units & would be better off with teg peltier unit as it work at a higher temp than the tecs, but they cost more, I was going to use a Zalman heat sink & some box section alloy for the base, Calfire have the motors & fans as spares parts @ about £25, but after pricing all the part up its cheaper to buy a stove top fan, maybe not the calfire ones as they cost about £100 each (they did them cheaper as I bought 3) but you can get cheaper units.

I've just ordered one at just under £50 delivered, if it isn't up to much I'll use the bits to make another & use the zalman heat sink

BLACK_FAN__92248.1365782087.220.290.JPG

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)