Caravan Club Sites

alan21

Am I alone in being a tad fed up with Caravan Club bookings? Last summer I could not get 1 single full week at any of my choices, right through June into September, not one site could accomodate me for any full week, so I put the caravan away and gave up.

So, I have just tried to book a week away at Bladon Chains and the same thing, could not even have five continuous mid week days.

I rang the advance booking number and was advised to book all my holidays in December when the web site opens! I think that is the problem, the club is a victim of it,s own success, I dont know in December where I want to go next year.

So we will be using private sites from now on unless we get very lucky!

Rant over

Alan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you just a member of the Caravan Club or Camping and caravan club? We are in both, as we found quite often certain sites you need to book months in advance. We joined C & C Club and now we have a bigger choice and so far had no problems with bookings. Coastal Sites are usually booked well in advance. In the past we have booked for the follow year prior to leaving, especially for bank Holidays weekends. The private sites we have been on are very good and prices are reasonable. Also we have enjoyed our stay there as much as the Club sites.

I share your frustration, the club in the thirty plus years we have been with it has got worse in this regard.

I feel for the new members who, particularly with children, after buying a caravan and being solicited by the dealer into Caravann Club membership then discover that for the first year of ownership they can't use club sites during weekends or school breaks. That never features in the Club's recruting literature.

Edited by JTQ

I agree as we like CC sites, are retired but often we cannot book as sites are generally booked up for a Sat night.

Having said that, we recently booked 2 wks in the West Country on 2 CC sites (Aug) with no problem and then booked Edin CC site for Commonwealth Games (July) with no problem.

I do recommend ringing the site a few days before to get a cancellation but this means you cannot plan ahead.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I have heard some of these sites called "Honey Pot Sites" the ones Everybody wants to book.

We finally managed to book our elusive CC site after years of trying but it was so packed

(and had been extended) that our memories of it were totally destroyed.

I must say that the bad weather has given us several CC sites we had difficulty getting bookings

for. We now go out of school holidays almost exclusively. If you don't have children there is much

more opportunity "off peak"

We've just booked a month away for the end of April to mid May (all CC sites) and there are plenty of Sites with availability for two or three weeks at a time, but it's like anything else that's subject to supply & demand. If you want to go somewhere specific, then the earlier you book the more chance you've got of getting the dates you want. Likewise if you want to go to the really popular sites then you've got to be really early.

This whinge comes up every year that the Caravan Club isn't serving it's members because someone can't get in on a date they require. It would be exactly the same if you wanted to go to a show or on a cruise or on holiday - book early you get dates, seats, cabins & hotels that you want. The later you leave it the less chance you've got.

If I want somewhere specific then I'll book early or just go somewhere else - my life won't stop and I don't feel aggrieved enough to complain about it

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Am I alone in being a tad fed up with Caravan Club bookings? Last summer I could not get 1 single full week at any of my choices, right through June into September, not one site could accomodate me for any full week, so I put the caravan away and gave up.

So, I have just tried to book a week away at Bladon Chains and the same thing, could not even have five continuous mid week days.

I rang the advance booking number and was advised to book all my holidays in December when the web site opens! I think that is the problem, the club is a victim of it,s own success, I dont know in December where I want to go next year.

Rant over

Alan

Have you checked recently?

Not one fully booked night in June, August or September and free weeks in July.

This whinge comes up every year that the Caravan Club isn't serving it's members because someone can't get in on a date they require. It would be exactly the same if you wanted to go to a show or on a cruise or on holiday - book early you get dates, seats, cabins & hotels that you want. The later you leave it the less chance you've got.

If I want somewhere specific then I'll book early or just go somewhere else - my life won't stop and I don't feel aggrieved enough to complain about it

Absolutely spot on!

Supply and demand. If you want to go somewhere specific, at a specific time, then do something about it. Whinging because others are more organised than you are is futile.

Sometime makes you wonder if people write and complain because the car park they wanted to use was full, as other people got there first, or couldn`t get on a bus because others were waiting at the stop before them. Everything is always someone elses fault, isn`t it??

Seems personal responsibility for anything is going out of the window :unsure:

Last year we booked in March for two weeks (including three weekends) at Blackwall Plantation during August which is the school summer holidays, had no problems whatsoever and there was plenty of room on site all the time we were there, even during the weekends when it filled up a bit but was never full.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

The real issue is when members "block book" on the off chance they'll actually go and subsequently cancel but, as you say, let's not go round the same loop again.

We've just booked a month away for the end of April to mid May (all CC sites) and there are plenty of Sites with availability for two or three weeks at a time, but it's like anything else that's subject to supply & demand. If you want to go somewhere specific, then the earlier you book the more chance you've got of getting the dates you want. Likewise if you want to go to the really popular sites then you've got to be really early.

Absolutely spot on, i doubt that there is a week in the year that I could not find a pitch somewhere on the CC network whenever I chose to look at the bookings page be that with a week to go or several months in advance. However, if I want somewhere specific for very precise dates then the earlier I book the more likely the dates are to be available. If you start early enough and still find some of the dates are not available it is worthwhile booking what you can have and then checking the website daily until you have picked up all the other dates, and it will happen unless you pick a really really popular site at a date of very very high demand.

Yes, just checked, April 7th and 8th on awning pitch and 7th on non awning pitch

Those dates are part of most schools Easter holidays so are very popular, most schools that I know of are starting their Easter holidays on the 5th April and returning on 22nd April.

The real issue is when members "block book" on the off chance they'll actually go and subsequently cancel but, as you say, let's not go round the same loop again.

The same old myths, the problems are simply down to supply and demand. The clubs published information denies the whole idea of vast numbers of members booking sites just in case and releasing them at the last minute.

Angus

Sorry I spoke.

You should not be, you very eloquently said exactly the right thing.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Hello Bill

Thank you for that, I didn't know easter hols started so early.

That would explain it.

Alan

95% of our touring each year (normally 80ish nights) takes place on CC sites, as I am a Teacher we are always away at peak times. Never had an issue getting a site, but then I think there is less pressure on the Scottish sites network.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

I have frequently found that nearer the time people cancel and you can pick up what you want. My best example was three weeks in July at Black Knowl. When I first looked in about February there were only five odd days in that period free so I booked them all and then checked every week for about six weeks. In the end I had the whole block of three weeks. I may have been exceptionally lucky that time but I have had similar experiences over the years.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Hello Bill

Thank you for that, I didn't know easter hols started so early.

That would explain it.

Alan

It is the joys of being a Grandad that does that for you. There you are retired and expecting to be able to go away whenever you want to, then the late 30's kids suddenly produce grandchildren and expect regular termtime use of Grandads Taxi and child repository whilst they go to work and have weekend evenings out. Out of self preservation you soon find out when the school holidays are ( my son and his wife are teachers) and book to be away as early as you can otherwise they will descend upon you to look after the kids whilst they have days out to concerts here there and everywhere.

Bill

I will add that I have been a member of the caravan club for ten years and couldn't count the number of weeks we have been away on club sites, I know all the facts about booking early for specific sites on specific dates, but the post was commenting on how difficult it is, even out of season to just get away with the van.

I realize that there are many pitches available in April, but they are not where i want to go.

I also stand by what I said about not being able to get full weeks away last summer, yes there were pitches available but again not where I wanted to go, it seems we have lost the spontaneity that caravaning once enjoyed.

Alan

We have to go to Taunton towards the end of the month and I thought it would be nice to stop at the CC site Baltic wharf on the way back. So far I have managed to book the 27th. What I noticed was, by looking in every day, that despite it being fully booked for February days start to become available as we progress through the month so I am hopeful that before I need to cancel my one booked day, more will become available. A bit of a gamble but I have the advantage of being a free agent so if I can't get the day I want we will just go home.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I'd guess that spontaneity means turning up and seeing if you can get in, or phoning a day or so before - something we do quite often and have always managed to get in. We managed four nights at Rowntree Park a couple of years ago, five at Blaydon Chains the year before last and four last year at Chatsworth, just by ringing up the week before.

Booking a couple of months ahead isn't what I'd call spontaneous.

Bill

As I said, let's not go there again as another topic will just deteriorate into he said \ she said.

Let's agree to disagree.

Cheers

I am always happy not to revisit that topic but if someone raises it I am always happy to respond. If you do not want people to disagree with you then it is better not to raise topics that you know will bring such a response.

Bill

Rant over

Alan

Where I work there is a no more than 2 people off in each department at any one time rule. This means that I have to book well in advance in order to A, make sure I can get on the sites we want and B, be able to have dates ready for when we can book leave at work. We recently had to cancel a two week break we had booked on a CC site as I was unable to get the time off at work. We never book huge blocks in advance just what we would like and cancel if we have to as soon as we know. I can't see a problem with that as it is only one site at a time and it is the only way we get where we want to be when we can get the time off.

Edited by sgthakeswell

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

95% of our touring each year (normally 80ish nights) takes place on CC sites, as I am a Teacher we are always away at peak times. Never had an issue getting a site, but then I think there is less pressure on the Scottish sites network.

We normally go to Scotland and generally don't have a problem. We have been members for years and BH and school holiday etc, have always needed booking early. It is worse now but not that different.

Book early or try somewhere different, that's what we do. But have fun. :)

I have been a member of the Caravan Club for nearly 40 years and only recently found the need to book in advance, until then I used to turn up at a site unanounced and always got a pitch. For the past 12 years I have also been a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club and have begun to use their 'Temporary Holiday Sites'. There seems to be very few THS's where booking is necessery. It is a different style of holiday with (very) few facilities & with costs around £6/night. The only thing that I have purchased specially for this type of holiday is a solar panel. They are a very friendly lot and often organise site activities without any obligation to join in if you do not wish to, which is fortunate for me as I am not a very gregarious type prefering to quietly read a book or some such thing.

Lexus IS 220D SE towing Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 7