Ferry Expensive

See what I did there? No?..oh well. ..

Anyhoo,the wife had a birthday card from an old university friend from Holland. Then she had a marvellous idea to take Elvis the caravan to Holland. So I had a look at the Stena site - for a trip to Hook Of Holland from Harwich (with a cabin) first week in september and back to Blighty. ..drum roll. ...is anywhere from £280 to £420. EEK. I thought you got a cruise for that!

Maybe take the car and tent. ..? Do offers pop up now and then?

I know it's a bit of a U-shaped trip but Dover-Calais is so much cheaper that you could consider that. The trip up is quite pleasant on the Belgian side.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

To get a sensible price you need to look at different routes crossing times etc but generally the fares are very much less in real terms than they were 20 years ago. As already recommended you could look at Hull Rotterdam and be sure to make it a weekend crossing when the caravan goes free, you would still be looking at over £300 but depending how far you need to travel in the UK it could be a better option than just taking the cheapest Dover crossing and then spending a lot on fuel to get to Holland.

PS I would not take a cruise for that sort of price.

Edited by David in Cheshire

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Travel frequently from Nottingham to Europe both with and without the caravan (through Holland) and always use DFDS Dover Dunkirk. Very easy journey from Dunkirk up to Holland.

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

Travel frequently from Nottingham to Europe both with and without the caravan (through Holland) and always use DFDS Dover Dunkirk. Very easy journey from Dunkirk up to Holland.

Its the horrible bit between the Midlands and Dover that puts me off

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

Just avoid rush hour or travel on a Saturday morning. We often get ferries about midday so we leave MK about 8. 00 ish on a Saturday and rarely have any problems. We do travel outside school holidays though. ...... M1, M25, A2, M2. ....

Going to Holland we usually go Dover Dunkerque but Calais only adds half an hour on. We love Holland and we are going there again in September. Don't forget to take your bikes ! :)

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I agree with that - I try to get an early morning ferry and have a breakfast on the boat. Saturday or Sunday if possible and so far have never had a problem

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

Harwich was a simple choice 'cos we lives in Norfolk. It was only meant to be a long weekend sort of trip. But it could be a week via la Francais. Mind,what we gain going from Dover we lose on Diesel. ce la vie etc

Tesco Vouchers. ..... I believe you can use them on Stenas Harwich to the Hook. We always use them for our Eurotunnel crossing

Oh and yes Cugsy I saw what you did Ferry well done. lol :)

Edited by Hells9369

Cleaning the House while the kids are at home is like clearing snow with it still snowing

VW Touareg + Bailey Verona = Happy Family :)

I have been looking at crossing from Harwich the best price was with the Caravan Club with 7 mitre van £78. 00

academic now - she's off to states for a while and hasn't got enough holidays. So next year for the trip across t' puddle.

It's not as bad as the journey from Portsmouth to Dover!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

That a good reason to use Brittany Ferries don't you think

David

That a good reason to use Brittany Ferries don't you think

Indeed we do but more expensive of course!

Edited by Jslocks

John

Indeed we do but more expensive of course!

Not any more ;)

link to good news

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Of course, if you're going north then it makes sense to drive to Dover.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

But if you are going south then you may want to consider entering my competition to win a £100 brittany ferries voucher. With only 11 entrants, the probability is much better for a win!

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/91322-competition-l100-brittany-ferries-travel-voucher/

Caravanless. ...

Any journey to or from Dover is not part of a holiday. It's an experience to endure.

John.

Last year when we were on site in the Vendee we spoke to a couple who had come over with Brittany from Plymouth they join the Brittany ferry club and although they have to pay to join the club the savings more than make up for it We may look at joining next year for our French trip

Cleaning the House while the kids are at home is like clearing snow with it still snowing

VW Touareg + Bailey Verona = Happy Family :)

We use the Harwich Hook route both solo and with the Caravan many times throughout the year

Caravans go free on daytime crossings and half price on night crossings

Iam stationed in Germany, this is certainly our route of choice

Our son a daughter in law live in Hull and we still prefer using Harwich rather than

P&O from Rotterdam to Hull

IMHO the Stena ships are much better than P&O, the last time I used the Hull route

it took ages to unload in Hull from that upper Car deck with more delays getting through

Passport control and then out into rush hour traffic in Hull!!

The Harwich service unloads early 06 45 and we are up in Hull by late morning,

Even with the extra mileage it still works out cheaper on the wallet believe it or not.

Is it just me, but as a regular on the North Sea routes in recent years, do other think that

standards on the Hull route have dropped as prices have risen, I certainly hear more a more complaints

re P&O from my Service colleagues over here

We have used the day crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland twice now

Travel from Brum on an afternoon stay on the docks overnight ready for the day crossing

Caravan goes free on day crossing

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

We have used the day crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland twice nowTravel from Brum on an afternoon stay on the docks overnight ready for the day crossingCaravan goes free on day crossing

Good place to stay if you don't fancy the docks.

http://www. brookcroft. info/index. html/

John