Hungary Or Romania Anyone?

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge in the above two countries?

Thinking of going instead of Italy. Not sure yet.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Not going to Italy!!!!! Shame on you! :D:D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Hi.

Been to Romania years ago "80 /",a week by the Black sea and a week up in the mountains,super people,but poor. Buses running around with bald/slit tyres,drivers taking the wipers off of their cars,rubber was so scarce (Renault/Dacia 12's).

Loved it,swimming in the Black sea was like being in a warm bath,no messing about while your nether regions froze,for two old shillings you could ride a bus all day,loads of history,up in the mountains great scenary,we kept the hotels ticking over during the slack time before the snow and ski slopes opened up again,

Would i go in a motor home ? Yes.

Hungary,i have looked into this,lots of posts about lake camps around "Lake Balatov ?" Thermal springs etc,have a look in the ACSI book for sites and look up the area promotional sites.

Best of luck

Hedgebumper

PS. Pressed some ***** button and it has altered the print thingy. ...... ******

Edited by Hedgebumper

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge in the above two countries?

Thinking of going instead of Italy. Not sure yet.

Russell

Russell we went to Hungary in 2008 details on my website as below.

Cheers Snooks

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Hi Russell

in 2008 we towed through Czech Republic, Slovakia, the far end of Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria to Greece. Quite a bit of trepidation as we set off, but no problems encountered and was far easier than expected. Some of the roads were a bit rough and there were a lot of eyesores as well as some spectacular scenery. You can read about this trip on our blog,

In 2012 we towed through the south of Poland, Slovakia and Hungary to Budapest, then west to Croatia. This blog covers it.

As an alternative, have a look at MagBaz travels. They visit Romania quite a bit on their way to and from Greece. They are in Sicily at the moment, so you might enjoy their latest too.

To be honest, Hungary did not impress on either trip. Budapest, though, is a wonderful city, well worth the visit. Like Diane we stayed at Haller Camping, which is conveniently sited in a suburb not far from the metro. However, whilst Diane stayed there early season while it was reasonably quiet, we were there high season when it was heaving, dirty and very unpleasant. Caravans and motorhomes were parked almost touching, and with the aid of extension cables each EHU was serving 30 to 40 outfits. (Diane, if you are reading this, I have to add that every other site we have stayed on that you have recommended has been superb, I think that on this occasion Haller had just lost control!)

I know you love Italy. Have you seen much of Croatia? We are both Italophiles, but fell in love with Croatia. The northern end is very Italian, while the south is more Byzantine/Turkish. And to add to the Italian nature, most of the old people in Istria speak an Italian dialect. The ice cream in Croatia is even better than Italy, and that is saying something!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Thanks for the replies. I have five weeks to play with but my mate probably has two, so like last year, there will be an airport drop somewhere.

Lake Balaton sounds tempting.

Not sure where to go yet, might even go to Spain for the two weeks my mate is with me, drop him off at Barcelona airport and then get the ferry to Rome and have a three week drive from Rome to Calais.

So much I want to do and not enough annual leave!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

What :ph34r: .

Thought you got 51 weeks holiday a year Russell :unsure: .

ps. All's well with Ken, few niggles but nothing much.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

What :ph34r: .

Thought you got 51 weeks holiday a year Russell :unsure: .

ps. All's well with Ken, few niggles but nothing much.

Yes, I thought that as well!.........always messin about on boats! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Not quite - this is what I get!

Work for three weeks, with every Sunday off and one Saturday off, then a week of days off. This week of days off is not annual leave, but is days off "earned" by working 8 hours per day, 12 hors on a Saturday and being a 35 hour week on average. So, over the four week period, 140 hours works, admittedly with those working hours in three weeks.

So, that means 13 weeks off per year (13 x four weekly pay/working periods)

Add in holiday and bank holidays, so, this is my plan

January - week off - ferries and Wales

February - week off, ferries/Dover (£1 fares to Calais)

March - week off - Weymouth and Guernsey (free on Condor ferries/Tesco)

April week off, then three weeks leave and the May week off, - Italy or Hungary or somewhere (tunnel crossing - Tesco)

June week off - not booked - but probably Wales for the seasonal HSS fast craft with the Stena Line x four crossings.

July week off - TBC - probably South Wales for the Stena Europe

August week off - start of month - to be confirmed

August week off, (runs to early Sept), three weeks leave, then September week off - Italy or Hungary - opposite of the spring holiday

October week off - TBA

November week off - TBA

December week off, plus Christmas - Germany or Switzerland

I'd hate a 9-5 job with just weekends off. My actual weeks off formed of rest days runs from Thrusday to Wednesday inclusive, so this Wednesday, I take the motorhome to work, and after finishing at 2, I'm away to the motorway and a night stop somewhere. I get called a traveller though for taking up four spaces in the car park, as you may have seen on Facebook where my colleagues give me a ribbing

Russell

Hi Russell.

I lived in Romania on and off for 3 years.

I have no experience of any of the campsites but my recommendations for areas to visit would around Brasov, Sighisoara, Cluj Napoca, the Danube Delta Area (beware mosquitos) and a trip to the seaside at Constanta.

When I was there (Mid-Late 1990s) the roads were poor and bank on being able to average no more than 40/50 kph if there are still in the same state.

Bucharest I found miserable and my recommendation would be stay away.

Do not eat from road-side vendors when travelling.

All of my advice may well be out of date!

Regards,

Stephen

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

I'm so glad that someone is doing something different and taking their outfit beyond France or Spain.

I got to Hungary every year and it as so much to offer as well as many fantastic towns and cities along the way.

Visit www. balatontourist. hu for lakeside camping.

There are so many places to visit outside of Budapest with plenty to see such as Esztergom, Pecs, Gyor, Zalaegerszeg, Zalakaros (famous for it's thermal spa), Heviz, Keszthely, Debrecen, Miskolc, Szeged and of course Herend, (famous for it's pottery) and Tokaj, (for the wine), to name a few. The ACSI site will have plenty of camping suggestions for these places as will google.

The food is on par with that of Germany and Austria. Summer's can be very hot whilst winter are very cold.

I'm sure that once you have been you will return!

2013 Sprite Major 4FB Excellence (Dealer Special)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder T-Spec

• 4 years later...

Hello, everybody! Maybe I'm subjective, but Romania is better than to Hungary. Relief forms varies from sea side to high mountains. Great off camping sites all over the country. You can find local caravan people to guide or to advice you on good spots. Most of romanians speaks english, so language will not be a barrier. Most of the village people are still good and warm, especially with strangers. You can easily spend a night for free in their yard and if you are lucky enough, you'll have a fresh and healthy breakfast next morning.

If anyone needs more information or a hand during the trip in Romania, please feel free to contact me.

John

Mod edit: Personal details of email address and telephone number have been removed. We recommend using the PM system.

your freedom ends where mine begins

1 hour ago, johnnie_driver2000 said:

Hello, everybody! Maybe I'm subjective, but Romania is better than to Hungary. Relief forms varies from sea side to high mountains. Great off camping sites all over the country. You can find local caravan people to guide or to advice you on good spots. Most of romanians speaks english, so language will not be a barrier. Most of the village people are still good and warm, especially with strangers. You can easily spend a night for free in their yard and if you are lucky enough, you'll have a fresh and healthy breakfast next morning.

If anyone needs more information or a hand during the trip in Romania, please feel free to contact me.

John

Safer to remove personal details and ask members to message you privately! 

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg.