Caravan Stereo

Hi I have just bought a caravan but it has no radio/CD player the whole is there in the cupboard and the wires I would like to know are caravan radios the same as car radios 12v ?

Steve

Hi I have just bought a caravan but it has no radio/CD player the whole is there in the cupboard and the wires I would like to know are caravan radios the same as car radios 12v ?

Steve

Yes they are identical. If the caravan has the ISO wireing harness it may well just be a case of plug and play

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Yes they are car stereo's, and they are getting cheaper and cheaper as OE fitted.

Early car radio's only had on and off, modern car radios, have a permanent live for the memory and an ign fed live to power it up, if your caravan only has live and earth you may need a switch to turn it off.

On a slightly different tack, my radio speakers are as you would expect inside, mounted under the overhead front cupboards. Ok when you in the van but if you want to listen to music whilst you are in the awning or outside you have to crank it up load. Downside anybody inside gets overloaded with the sound. Any solutions for having a wireless speaker outside?

Thanks

David,

When you are outside or in your awning, perhaps you could use earphones. Sorry, but 2nd hand music from an awning or simply outside is a nightmare. In fact, don't know why they put stereo's in caravans - they are not soundproof enough. Nothing worse than having to listen to someone else's music or tv come to that. When we are on a site and there is anyone else there, we use earphones - 2 pairs via a splitter - to listen to the tv.

It's all about consideration for those around you.

On a slightly different tack, my radio speakers are as you would expect inside, mounted under the overhead front cupboards. Ok when you in the van but if you want to listen to music whilst you are in the awning or outside you have to crank it up load. Downside anybody inside gets overloaded with the sound. Any solutions for having a wireless speaker outside?

Thanks

There called headphones

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Thanks

I you have your music stored digitally have you thought about something like the sonos system or are you after a 12v based solution? I only ask because I have music stored on a mac, which is streamed to a Cambridge amp via an apple airport express, I can then select tracks from the iTunes library on my iphone or iPad.

Yes they are. Get one which is not coded and has a usb input then you can have all your music on a memory stick.

I see you have a bailey? I fitted a Sony one in ours from Halfords in our Bailey Pageant S6 and it was a simple plug in job all wiring was there.

Edited by rusty63

You could wire the audio output into a switch (4way) and then to a small jack plug inside the locker or the mains output flappy thing? Then you could plug some speakers into the side of the van in the awning. ..

Might not make you very popular on some sites though.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

David,

When you are outside or in your awning, perhaps you could use earphones. Sorry, but 2nd hand music from an awning or simply outside is a nightmare. In fact, don't know why they put stereo's in caravans - they are not soundproof enough. Nothing worse than having to listen to someone else's music or tv come to that. When we are on a site and there is anyone else there, we use earphones - 2 pairs via a splitter - to listen to the tv.

This is one of my worse nightmares too - having to listen to other peoples music or TV coming from their awning ! It makes my blood boil to think that some people can be so arrogant as to think that this is quite acceptable. Awnings are not sound proof - nor are tents !!! . What if we all did it. .......... ? As suggested above, if you really have to, please use headphones. .... :rolleyes:

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

My radio is 4channel so the inside speakers are on the front channels and the outside speakers (surround speakers from a TV sound system) are on the rear channels. To switch from one to the other or both I adjust the Fader on the head unit.

Edit: I can see this winding some of you anti noise folk up so I would like to make it clear that I only get them out on a select few sites, and private race meets where it's party time all the time :)

Edited by DeadMeatUK

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

This is one of my worse nightmares too - having to listen to other peoples music or TV coming from their awning ! It makes my blood boil to think that some people can be so arrogant as to think that this is quite acceptable. Awnings are not sound proof - nor are tents !!! . What if we all did it. .......... ? As suggested above, if you really have to, please use headphones. .... :rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying, but your wrong about annoying others. That's not the intention, infant I would say that something on low volume near me is better than trying to blast it from the inside of the van. I don't want it any louder than any other background noise, wether that be children, talking, generators etc. ..

So please bear in mind when putting your comments down as some people easily take offence.

My radio is 4channel so the inside speaker are on the front channels and the outside speakers (surround speakers from a TV sound system) are on the rear channels. To switch from one to the other or both I adjust the Fader on the head unit.

I know what you mean, I will check if mine is 4 channels.

Edit: I can see this winding some of you anti noise folk up so I would like to make it clear that I only get them out on a select few sites, and private race meets where it's party time all the time :)

When at race meetings in the paddock we used to use an MP3 player plugged into the mains with some speakers plugged into it. Great for parties in the awning.

I understand what you are saying, but your wrong about annoying others. That's not the intention, infant I would say that something on low volume near me is better than trying to blast it from the inside of the van. I don't want it any louder than any other background noise, wether that be children, talking, generators etc. ..

So please bear in mind when putting your comments down as some people easily take offence.

You're 'avin' a laugh . ....... :lol:

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Whichever way you power it i can highly recommend wharfedale 9. 0s, fairly cheap and noisy when no-one else is around

David,

I know what you mean, I will check if mine is 4 channels.

As will people being refered to as "infants" !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

As will people being refered to as "infants" !

I think he meant to type 'infact'............ otherwise I might have had a tantrum ! :lol:

Hi,

How about this idea ? if the caravan radio is fitted with a headphone socket buy a F. M. transmitter ( Ebay around pounds 5/6 ) plug this in ( its possable to get them to run on ether batterys or the 12 volt socket--- we have bought a battery model ) tune it in to a vacant spot on the F. M. band. Having done that switch on a portable/ battery f. m. radio and tune it to the f. m. transmitter and hey presto you can sit within Oh,30 ft of the van and pick up your music from the vans entertainment unit !

david

Hi

Having obtained one of the above units & having tried it out i found it had a range of 70ft and the quality of the sound was good.

david

As has been said, quiet music played directly within the awning is a lot better than loud music feeding in from the caravan. There will always be disrespectful caravanners, like in every other walk of life, most on this forum, I have little doubt, would not be. So comments from the noise police are not welcome, imho, and common sense should prevail. Also, there will be a gaggle of us that prefer CL/CS' and I can speak from experience when I say that neither the sheep nor the moles mind how loud you play Dire Straits, or AC-DC for that matter.

Personally, I enjoy my Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Speaker. Rich, deep sound even at almost inaudible volumes and any Bluetooth device can quickly and easily pair and play e. g. smartphones, laptops, iPads etc. Battery (10 hours) or aux socket powered and waterproof too.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by tictag

Don't you think that forums like these are useful tools for informing people what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't ? It may be that your 'disrespectful' person is just someone who doesn't consider the implications of his actions until he reads it on this forum. As they say . ... every little helps. .

In addition, if I were on a lovely quiet CL enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside on a lovely summer's evening - I would not appreciate it if I could hear Dire Straights or AC-DC coming from someone's awning at any level, blue toothed or not !!!

And why do we have to be labelled as 'police' just because we disagree with something ?

Don't you think that forums like these are useful tools for informing people what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't ? It may be that your 'disrespectful' person is just someone who doesn't consider the implications of his actions until he reads it on this forum. As they say . ... every little helps. .

In addition, if I were on a lovely quiet CL enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside on a lovely summer's evening - I would not appreciate it if I could hear Dire Straights or AC-DC coming from someone's awning at any level, blue toothed or not !!!

And why do we have to be labelled as 'police' just because we disagree with something ?

If somebody who is old enough to tow a caravan is not aware of causing a nuisance by noise through canvas then I would say it is unlikely that this forum is going to complete their education. Posts along those lines are more likely IMHO to upset somebody by implying that they may be inconsiderate just by bringing up the subject of radios. ..

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

So we can't talk about or disagree with anything, that might be contentious as it may upset someone . ..... :lol: