Tow Vehicle For I B4

Clacko370

Hi Am looking at getting a 2013 IB4 2000kg and am considering what tow vehicle I should be looking at. I am an experienced driver with and without a van. However not with a twin wheel base. My problem is the old question of getting a vehicle which is practical for day to day driving, however has the ability to tow a vehicle the size and weight of the IB4. I have been looking at the volvo XC70 or a 2. 7 A6. What are people's opinions ???

Either of your choices would mean that if your van is close to or at its MPTLM you would be towing above 100% .

If your happy with that all well and good but IMO not a good combination

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

Pickup truck would be ideal to tow that, and they are surprisingly comfy to drive these days. Kerbweight of my Navara is 2. 2 tonnes so would be a good match.

Edited by SamP

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Pickup truck would be ideal to tow that, and they are surprisingly comfy to drive these days. Kerbweight of my Navara is 2. 2 tonnes so would be a good match.

I towed with a Nissan navara for 18 months it was a very reliable and stable tow car

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

Touareg, XC90, Discovery, Q7, X5, R Rover/L Rover?

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

How does the pathfinder compare, its more of a people truck rather than a pick up truck but I am not sure on the weight? Surely its got to be similar.

Caravanless. ...

If you are looking at Volvos, i tow my IB4 with an XC90. Very stable with plenty of power even though it is only a 2. 4L. Max towing weight for it is 2250kg but have no problems with mine. The anti snake stability control was an optional extra on the 2013 models and then became standard for 2014. Worth checking if this was fitted and would give extra reasurance if you are towing near 100%.

Clacko

I will be towing my 2013 IB4 with a disco and it is not a problem but the down side is the 26 MPG you get but to be honest when you are towing the consumption stays the same.

Have you seen the Eterniti owners forum? There are a few of us meeting in April if you are interested.

Gee

I have a Pathfinder auto. .. just ran it through Towcar with an IB4 and thats towing at 94%.... The manual is at 97%...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I tow a 1650kg caravan with an XC70. Plenty of power to pull it over alpine passes but I do know I only have a 95% ratio when the wind blows! I would want the XC90 weight to tow 2000kg.

I suspect your 2013 will be nearer to 2200kg than 2000kg.

Twin axles are inherently more stable than singles so you should be pleasantly surprised.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Thanks for all you replies. Will be getting one with the anti snake stability control, so that should assist. It's very interesting to see that violia476 tows with the 2. 5 kia sorento, as both the 4x4 A6 and the XC70 on paper should be better tugs. ......

I tow my ib4 with a kia sorento 2. 5 this has no problems

Veolila, just saw this and remembered a previous posting of yours. Have you had your replacement van? And if so, are you happy with it?

Regards

Still waiting expectantly Jill

Then only thing to be aware of is the timing chain problems with the Navaras and Pathfinder snapping. I have noticed they get noisey after 70k on the ones I have driven.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Then only thing to be aware of is the timing chain problems with the Navaras and Pathfinder snapping. I have noticed they get noisey after 70k on the ones I have driven.

Dave

A mate of mine, who owns a garage has a Navara, he changes his oil and filters something like every 5000miles, He reckons (or hopes) that this will guard against this.

My Pathfinder doesn't have a chain. .. it's a belt. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

My Pathfinder doesn't have a chain. .. it's a belt. ..

I was referring to the 2006 on 2. 5 diesel engine shared by both the Pathfinder and Navaras.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Veolila, just saw this and remembered a previous posting of yours. Have you had your replacement van? And if so, are you happy with it?

Regards

Still waiting expectantly Jill

Jillp hi

yes got the new van week last saturday it wnt back to factory last friday with faults no happy

Got a few small pfoblems inside the van . but the main problems are the alarm not working and the rear corner of the van had been smashed in the build prosess then filled and sanded down . The van has now got to have a new lower back end. This is the 2nd new van ive had in a few months and they still cant get it right

Hi, we have just purchased a BB5 and are off to Sunny Spain with it on Tuesday night.

Really looking forward to it, will keep you all updated as to how we get on.

Matt & Becky

Welcome Matt & Becky.

Keep us informed.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Hi Matt and Becky. Welcome to the forum. Think you have the best idea with a trip to Spain considering the weather we are having at the minute.

Thinking of asking Eterniti if they can fit a hull to the bottom of mine and a few fixings for a sail.

Have a good trip. Rob

Edited by Rob N Judith