Is It Just Me

Wildexplorer

After 20 odd years of camping I decided to have a go with a caravan, so I have bought myself a 1982 Abbey van, She is dry warm and to be honest I wish I had done it ages ago.

BUT I am starting to feel that I am going to be looked upon as a poor caravanner (Not poor but not rich either).

As to me it seems as if near on every thread I read is about either new or nearly new caravans, one guy has even turned his van into what can only in my opinion be described as a portable power station.

Now this is nice if you have the money, but not everyone does have the money for this type of lifestyle, some of us I guess must be forced into the much lower end of the market with early 80's vans that are perfectly fit for purpose but not brand new and shiny.

This is not meant to be a thread about who has got bigger better and more expensive, but more a way of possibly getting other people like me who could never afford a brand new or even 10 year old van to start talking about what they have, after all caravanning is not just for the rich, is it ?????

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After adopting two rough collies we needed a way of getting about without encroaching on people we visited so we bought a 1988 vanroyce 365/2 to see if caravanning suited us. After a few trips away we decided that due to my good ladies disability we needed something a bit more suited to two dogs and a restricted person, so have bought a 1996 Vanroyce 470ETL which suits us to a T.

Have no desire to get anything newer.

It certainly isn't just for the rich.

As far as I'm concerned it's not about how much money you have, it's about choice, what it is you want, what it is you need and then what you are willing to spend on it.

I know of one family of caravanners who could buy any new van they wanted without making a dent in their savings but they CHOOSE to have a 1992 Swift.

As long as we all enjoy ourselves, chill out and relax, how much we have spent or what our vans are worth should have no relevance.

There could even be an argument that the more you spend the more you have to lose when things go wrong which could make it more stressful, who's right and who's wrong - you decide!!

Davros

Not at all, enjoy and Welcome. We kept van for 10 years. Then spent the kids inheritance on the van to last us until the wooden suit. Trouble is we then saw the current van last year and fell in love with the layout.

SWMBO decided why not, after all the kids have more money than us anyway. Nothing to do with wanting the newest and shinny box. The other van on our profile will probably still be in place well after I'm gone and the kids as well come to that. We have two others (0wned by family now) on the same site.

1. Is about 1950. Now fitted with wood burning stove. It is looked after and loved more than any van I know.

2. Is 1955 and a shed but that. s another story

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I totally get where the OP is coming from. We were on a site having a wee chat with the couple next door, with their super twin axle, that they were happy to show us having 'just picked it up mate' and 'it's the best one money can buy' etc.

I declined his nice offer to look around his . ..errr bodily extension, and his ohh so powerful car needed to tow it - that's new too didn't I tell you.

As we were making our excuses to leave them to enjoy their shiny new, best on the site, top of the range 'van to retire to our 10+ year old palace, another family tootled round the corner looking for a nice spot to set up in, and with a horrid - 'HA, look at the state of that !!' fingers pointing in all directions, I left, gave a cheery wave to the on coming family and offered the spot next to us.

Mr Money looked very displeased with my gesture but the family seemed to take a shine to the offering and set up with the 2 kids looking excited to be on holiday. The following morning Mr Money left.

GOOD !

I don't like being branded, or labelled etc Not everyone wishes to, or can buy new. I'm very very happy for those that can. good luck to you. But don't judge me by looks alone.

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

This is not meant to be a thread about who has got bigger better and more expensive, but more a way of possibly getting other people like me who could never afford a brand new or even 10 year old van to start talking about what they have, after all caravanning is not just for the rich, is it ?????

As far as I'm concerned it's not about how much money you have, it's about choice, what it is you want, what it is you need and then what you are willing to spend on it.

I know of one family of caravanners who could buy any new van they wanted without making a dent in their savings but they CHOOSE to have a 1992 Swift.

As long as we all enjoy ourselves, chill out and relax, how much we have spent or what our vans are worth should have no relevance.

There could even be an argument that the more you spend the more you have to lose when things go wrong which could make it more stressful, who's right and who's wrong - you decide!!

Davros

My apologies, However I did say it was not actually about the rich etc, but was a way of asking about members who have older vans.

Like you say I also know people who could go and buy new vans without upsetting their bank balance in the slightest, BUT what I was trying to say albeit possibly not quite correctly worded is can we hear a bit more on here from people with older vans that do not mind it being an older van.

One of the many joys of caravanning is that it is classless. OK there may be a few caravan badge,or age,snobs out there but most caravanners on site judge people by how friendly and considerate they are. If they don't then,quite frankly,they aren't really worth knowing.

Don't worry about it.

We swapped from canvas to tin last year. Got a 10 year old that looked like new.

Been to look at new ones at shows and not prepared to pay lots of cash for new door handles.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Volvo.jpg

This was our 1980 Sprite Super Major in 1998 just before we sold it for nearly as much as we paid for it new in 1980 18 years before. We brought up four children with it and we were sad to let it go. The Volvo was many years old also. Yes we have new vans now as our circumstances have changed and there are only two of us now. But, there are only happy memories of our outfit that did us so well.

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Davros

Yes. ..a fair assessment of my feelings too. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

To the OP, You are overanalysing things, Yes youll read plenty of threads which reference to the latest greatest towcars, the latest greatest vans and so on, but I dont think it means that anyone is looking down on folks like me with my 18 year old car or my 6 year old van. People get new things, they like to tell you about it, its normal. Im sure you will come across the odd snob on your travels, but its rare, and happens in every walk of life.

Hang around and you will soon find out what gets looked down on,on here and its not old vans and cars, trust me. Its more likely to be the people in them, and in that respect the shinyness of their kit is irrelevant, You can have the newest shiniest van and tug combination in the world, but if your dog barks just once, or kids even say the word ball, look out. :D

After 20 odd years of camping I decided to have a go with a caravan, so I have bought myself a 1982 Abbey van, She is dry warm and to be honest I wish I had done it ages ago.

BUT I am starting to feel that I am going to be looked upon as a poor caravanner (Not poor but not rich either).

As to me it seems as if near on every thread I read is about either new or nearly new caravans, one guy has even turned his van into what can only in my opinion be described as a portable power station.

Now this is nice if you have the money, but not everyone does have the money for this type of lifestyle, some of us I guess must be forced into the much lower end of the market with early 80's vans that are perfectly fit for purpose but not brand new and shiny.

:goodpost: I Think I understand where you are coming from, I only have a 1992 van, and it is not the best or the newest on sites or where I store it.

I have been on this forum for a while now and I will agree with you in that it does seem sometimes you only hear about the newest vans, but there are quite a few members who indeed do have older vans but do not seem to put so much of an appearance in, I guess this could be taken one of two ways, either 1, the older van owners do not have as many problems as the newer van owners, or 2, the older van owners feel pushed out by the owners of the newer vans.

All I can honestly say though to the OP is that you have a van that you are happy with, same as I do, just enjoy it, and if you do feel that you have a question that you need to ask, go ahead and ask it, it will be answered by someone who will do their best to help you.

Most of all enjoy what you have

Edited by Mike&deb

Our first van was an 1986 Eccles Topaz 2-berth that I got for £500, we used and loved and did things to it and then decided we liked caravanning and so moved up the ladder a bit, getting a 1998 Bailey Ranger 4-berth which is still in fantastic condition (my mate bought it from me when we decided to move up a bit). And, yes we've now got a new van (well it was two years ago) and we intend to keep it as it does all that we want.

We certainly don't look down on 'vanners with old and obviously loved caravans in the same way that we don't envy those with bigger better cars or deride those with older ones either. We don't have badge envy either. We've been in both places, hard up and making ends meet and being relatively affluent where we can afford what we want. If people get pleasure from what they've got then that's got to be good.

I for one wouldn't sneer at someone with a shiny new van who want's to show it off - he's probably worked bloody hard for it and has a right to be proud of it. It's not hard to be polite and help him enjoy his pleasure, likewise I'd be just as happy to have a look inside someone elses pride & joy, however old it was.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

For the record, I have a relatively new van.

In my opinion it's each to their own with caravanning.

Like anything else in life, I tend not to judge other people by what they have got, be it more or less expensive than what I currently have.

I judge other people based on what they are like, and like the OP, I would have judged the person who invited them into their shiny new van just to boast in exactly the same way as they did.

Life is too short to do anything else other than welcome it's wonderful variety.

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by SteveMilner

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

I judge other people based on what they are like, and like the OP, I would have judged the person who invited them into their shiny new van just to boast in exactly the same way as they did.

I never judged anyone ? :unsure:

I never judged anyone ? :unsure:

Fair enough, perhaps it would have been better to say I would have reacted in the same way, declined the offer and walked off.

Fair enough, perhaps it would have been better to say I would have reacted in the same way, declined the offer and walked off.

I think you are confusing me "The OP" with a post by another member ?

Well i've got a 20 year old Abbey county Somerset, and it does look tidy on the outside, and even tidier on the inside. We've also got a 12 year old 212k miles Volvo V70 T5, the whole outfit cost us £2600, and a lot of people think we spent double that.

We bought an old van, as it was there, had the cash in hand for it, and wanted a cheap way of getting away more with the kids. Me and the wife bought it as our wedding present, and love every minute. I've also made some upgrades to it, blown air, electric heating and extra sockets, including an external socket. Our van has everything that the new vans have, except more space!! and better insulation.

We could afford a newer van, but this van fits our needs, is warm and comfy, and owes us nothing. I'm not a fan of buying things on finance, so would rather buy something that i've got money for there and then. Our next van will be a bigger van, purely for the extra space we'd like, but again it'll probably be 10 year old.

On site i've never had people point and stare, but I try and keep the car clean. Only had one incident where people where pointing and staring due to the fact that the pitch next to us had the same car and van as us, which is a rare sight!! I often have people coming over and commenting on how tidy the car looks, and they can't believe it's got 212k miles on it, same with the van, about how tidy it looks, elbow grease on an old van can make it look years newer.

have a look at my blog for what i've done to it. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/blog/10-94-abbey-county-somerset-harveys/

I think you are confusing me "The OP" with a post by another member ?

You are indeed obviously correct.

I am confusing you with the poster a few posts down.

Apologies.

I'm easily confused these days.

Regards,

Steve

It is not the age of the caravan that matters, we have had old gas mantle light's,and foot pump to get the water,also brand new caravan's,fantastic holidays in all of them. and loved them,I can honestly say that none of our friend's have ever commented on how old a caravan is,except when a really old one comes along and we admire it because it takes us back,I hope you will enjoy your caravan as much as we have enjoyed all of ours.

You are indeed obviously correct.

I am confusing you with the poster a few posts down.

Apologies.

I'm easily confused these days.

Regards,

Steve

NP :)

And thank you to all that have given valuable input, If I feel the need for advice I shall be posting my questions now that I know I will get sensible answers, Thank you all

I have a 14 year old Coachman Amara 500 /5 which I have altered so that I have a fixed bed in the rear instead of a dining area, I have fitted new carpets and she has a few scratches and bumps due to the mileage we have done together since 2009, France (several times) Holland, Gerrmany, Italy, Austria, Spain, Sardinia and numerous trips throughout the UK (being retired helps ) all of them pulled by my Faithfull Rover 75 diesel Club CD Automatic which is now 12 years old . I love em both and if anyone turns up their nose they are not the kind of people I choose to mix with . They are both getting on a bit full of character and great fun and, unlike their owner with whom they share many features, not in the slightest bit cantankerous.

Cars, Caravans and wordly goods do not impress me, solid people from all walks of life do .

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

At least you can say you own your little caravan as most of the big shiney new caravans and tow cars are owned by the finance companies.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

To the OP, You are overanalysing things, Yes youll read plenty of threads which reference to the latest greatest towcars, the latest greatest vans and so on, but I dont think it means that anyone is looking down on folks like me with my 18 year old car or my 6 year old van. People get new things, they like to tell you about it, its normal. Im sure you will come across the odd snob on your travels, but its rare, and happens in every walk of life.

Hang around and you will soon find out what gets looked down on,on here and its not old vans and cars, trust me. Its more likely to be the people in them, and in that respect the shinyness of their kit is irrelevant, You can have the newest shiniest van and tug combination in the world, but if your dog barks just once, or kids even say the word ball, look out. :D

:lol::lol::lol: