French Toll Tags

Hi all

the present wife and I go to FRANCE 2 or 3 times a year and we have been looking at the toll tags that you can get from SANEF UK

We try to avoid tolls as much as possible but a lot of the time it makes sense to go the most direct route and also when towing at a constant speed the fuel used is less ( or so we have found ! )

has anyone got or used these tags and if so what do you think of them ?

thanks

teecee :rolleyes:

landrover discovery / bailey california

It looks like an unnecessary expense to me, as it seems you are paying a lot for not queuing. Also, I wonder how it copes with an error such as we had one year, when we were charged a lorry tariff instead of car/caravan. When you stop you can see the mischarge and remedy it but if you go straight through it would have to be queried at some later date when your charges came through.

We got ours from APRR http://www. aprr. fr/fr/souscrire_telepeage_liber_t (use Google Chrome and it will translate if need be!)

Cheaper ongoing than Sanef Uk who charge a reasonable monthly fee in the months you use it as well as annual fee I believe.

Ours is linked to UK credit card and gets billed to that after the month you use it and then you pay off following months so also gives you upto nearly 2 months or so interest free on the tolls

They make toll using much easier and if you do get charged wrong amount just hit the help button and say your correct class, if not checking your monthly online statement will show this up and i a sure online help will assist

Fits onto same mounting tag as Dart Tag

Does costs a little more €1. 60? i think each month we use it but convenient for us and we like it

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

we get our tag from www. saneftolling. co. uk

if you get any tariff errors, like we did last June - you just email them and they progress it with the toll companies and refund your bank account.

been using ours for a few years now and wouldn't be without it.

Edited by discodunc

We got a SANEF TAG last year via Eurotunnel as there were some useful discounts. Its a good idea for motorhomers as its not so easy to reach for the ticket or to pay the tolls from the cab. With the increasing number of automatic toll booths it also makes the process easier. If someone is only going for the annual two week trip it might not be worth setting up but for those that go for longer and more often it certainly makes life easier.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Wonderful system. The best bit is when the truckers see you, a ( probably useless and unable to understand anything French) Brit towing (a far too big) rig into a dedicated toll lane thinking you are about to screw the whole thing up and start waving and honking at you. Until the barrier flips up and you whiz off. ..

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

as it seems you are paying a lot for not queuing.

That in itself is worth the money.

The only drawback is when a (normally Dutch) driver doesn't understand the 'T' sign & makes everyone reverse to let them out.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

We got ours from ATMB last year with an offer that suspended the monthly charge and the tag was free.

http://www. atmb. com/en/

Took a while to recognise us the first time we used it. Thereafter excellent. Trundling past queues of cars in a line of trucks I really felt I'd done the right thing. The beep is loud enough to wake Mrs H though; not so good.

hawkaye :beardy:

Used ours for the first time last year. Superb. It may cost a bit more than just paying at the booths, but it makes it much easier for my wife as she used to have to undo her seat belt and lean out of the car window to reach the tickets and/or pay. It makes for a much more relaxing time when going through tolls as well as beating the queues and searching for change. My wife said it has made her holiday even more enjoyable.

The toll charges are taken from my account a month later than the pass was used, so I did not pay anything until the month after we got back from France. Any problems can be sorted by the English centre when we get home - not that there were any last year.

It's just another small cost that we take into account when budgeting for our summer holiday :)

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

I can only agree with gmc15 and others, used ours for the past 2 years,if only we had found out before, no lost tickets blown away, no dropped credit cards, and no long spells of silence from SWIMBO following the latter events, only advice I would offer is to drive slowly up to the barrier and be prepared to stop, as the sensor needs to check you have a van in tow and not just a car

, also there are some places that do not have the T sign you can give the tag to the attendant and they swipe it and give it back

Simple go for it

As with David, BFM and gmc15

the ease of use makes up for any cost, plus when travelling all the way from the Highlands the additional cost is negligible in the great scheme of things.

Ali

I get these if I take my car overseas. Although I get mine through tolltickets. I usually holiday alone so when in my own vehicle, the convenience out weights the fre cents extra I pay. When driving abroad in a lhd though I don't bother. The machines are simple to use, it's just that a solo traveller in a RHD struggles reaching across to pay!

Caravanless. ...

Ok everybody, I have been persuaded! My fears have been well contradicted so thank you for the original poster. Now to persuade our co-travellers to do the same or else we will be waiting for them to get through the queues!

Wonderful system. The best bit is when the truckers see you, a ( probably useless and unable to understand anything French) Brit towing (a far too big) rig into a dedicated toll lane thinking you are about to screw the whole thing up and start waving and honking at you. Until the barrier flips up and you whiz off. ..

By dedicated toll lane do you mean those with a orange hexagon?

__

/ \

\___/

If so, these are for class 4 only and the tag will be debited with that rate of tariff.

No I don't. There are two types of lane; one general purpose that accepts the tag as well as payment and a second for tagged non-HGVs which comes in two flavours. One makes you stop but the other allows you to keep moving at up to 30kph.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

No I don't. There are two types of lane; one general purpose that accepts the tag as well as payment and a second for tagged non-HGVs which comes in two flavours. One makes you stop but the other allows you to keep moving at up to 30kph.

There are four types of lane in use .

2m height barrier tag/cash - class 1 only

cash/tag - any vehicle

tag only 30 kph sans-arret (non stop) - any vehicle

Class 4 only Voie_PL.jpg

there is nothing to stop other vehicles with a tag using class 4 lanes but the charge will be at class 4 rate. .....hence my query.

APRR currently are offering a free tag to new clients. https://www. telepeagepourtous. fr/fr/particulier/souscrire

Home phone number not compulsory. .... for mobile number select +44 prefix and ignore or bracket first (0).....for street select rue.

Once registered your account details can be corrected on line if neccesary.

Edited by beejay

If anyone would like a translation of the APRR web site information/joining procedure etc then send me an IM with your email.

There are a few documents involved and I've made English versions of them all. The translation is in Word format and also . rtf so likely will open on your computer with no problems.

As with all other offers of help in this day and age I have to add that I accept no liability should using my translations cause issues of any sort. They are offered in good faith only.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Thanks for the the link Beejay and John for offer of help, but I tried their enrolment and APRR still want 21 euros up front - the start-up cost plus delivery fee to send tag to UK. I agree it would be a convenience to have one but it comes at a price.

The "start up cost" is a deposit though isn't it and is same whoever you use? Can't remember now but sure we only paid a deposit with APRR

If anyone would like a translation of the APRR web site information/joining procedure etc then send me an IM with your email.

There are a few documents involved and I've made English versions of them all. The translation is in Word format and also . rtf so likely will open on your computer with no problems.

As with all other offers of help in this day and age I have to add that I accept no liability should using my translations cause issues of any sort. They are offered in good faith only.

Hi John, just tried to send you a pm . .... wouldn't let me send . ... your inbox must be full

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Same here John.

Hi John, just tried to send you a pm . .... wouldn't let me send . ... your inbox must be full

Cheers

Pete

The "start up cost" is a deposit though isn't it and is same whoever you use? Can't remember now but sure we only paid a deposit with APRR

Apologies. It requires a "code avantage" to get the free tag offer. Having gone to the main page I cannot find a code!

Edit:

It seems that the cheap offers are now disappearing. :(

Having tried a mock registration I now see that there is €11 to register plus €10 postage outside France but the tag is "free". Normally the tag would have a €10 refundable deposit. :unsure:

I signed up five years ago when the tag was on a free offer and there was no postage charge at all. :D

Edited by beejay

Cheers

Pete

Sorry Pete - I've sent you my email in a PM.

Same here John.

Sorry again Eddie. I'm sending you a PM with me email

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Apologies. It requires a "code avantage" to get the free tag offer. Having gone to the main page I cannot find a code!

Edit:

It seems that the cheap offers are now disappearing. :(

Having tried a mock registration I now see that there is 11 to register plus 10 postage outside France but the tag is "free". Normally the tag would have a 10 refundable deposit. :unsure:

I signed up five years ago when the tag was on a free offer and there was no postage charge at all. :D

Already got mine last year just don't remember these charges

Sorry again Eddie. I'm sending you a PM with me email

Documents received John. Very many thanks. Much appreciated.

Eddie.