Secure Storage

Paul Martin

Our storage site offers "secure storage with full ADT coverage and CCTV"

They have only 3 days ago had over 100 batteries stolen from tourers within their premises,they have told us to claim of our insurance as none of the caravans are insured on his site.

Surely there must be a case if he is offering "secure storage" they must be liable in some way, or basically we are paying money to have our tourer inconveniently parked 15 miles away. in an awkward parking space in someone's field?

:welcome: I'm not sure you can insure something you don't own. Expecting the storage company to be liable is, I think, a step too far as the liability would be huge

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Our storage site offers "secure storage with full ADT coverage and CCTV"

They have only 3 days ago had over 100 batteries stolen from tourers within their premises,they have told us to claim of our insurance as none of the caravans are insured on his site.

Surely there must be a case if he is offering "secure storage" they must be liable in some way, or basically we are paying money to have our tourer inconveniently parked 15 miles away. in an awkward parking space in someone's field?

Or, basically, you are paying to keep your caravan on someone elses property because you don't have room at home and it is normally as safe or safer in a storage compound.

Any theft or damage in storage is at your or your insurers risk which is why insurers always want to know about where and how it is stored and will sometimes offer discounts dependent on storage security.

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

I would think the T&C's are quite clear. You cannot store ours at the site without showing them valid insurance.

Secure doesn't mean you can't get in it means its harder to get a van out

Nothing will be foolproof - anyone can get a storage pitch and then use their valid access to commit theft etc

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I think it might be a different matter if he was advertising CCTV but the CCTV wasn't working but otherwise think of all the 'cheating' that would go on if someone else's insurance covered our vans.

Sam :beardy:

New to caravaning so wasn't sure of the ins and outs but most of the replies are the same I should claim of my insurance, depending on my excess may not be worth claiming only need to replace a battery,terminals and a repair to the battery locker door,

Thank you to everyone for their comments and advice.

If people were willing to pay the cost of insurance at a storage then the site owners may offer it. I've been looking for storage land in my area for 4/5 years as I know there is a demand but it is impossible to get land cheap enough that people are willing to pay for!

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

If people were willing to pay the cost of insurance at a storage then the site owners may offer it. I've been looking for storage land in my area for 4/5 years as I know there is a demand but it is impossible to get land cheap enough that people are willing to pay for!

I would also love to open a gfcility in our area as storage is few and far between and the ne near Fleet has been closed down. Friends opened a good facility in Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham

Cleaning the House while the kids are at home is like clearing snow with it still snowing

VW Touareg + Bailey Verona = Happy Family :)

It's much easier in your part of the country as land is much cheaper. 1 acre of land in my area costs between £45/60K, I would be very lucky to fill it with caravans and clear 30K!

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

We have a caravan storage yard in Fife and we pay a company to monitor it overnight via internet and we can also watch live over net and system records at base and our yard, 3 gates and manned during opening hours, you sign out van out and in. 8 infrared cameras and remote wireless sensors

Any prospective new customers are shown our cctv, mechanical security and a contract. All caravans are stored at your risk and by signing the Ts & cs you accept the risk.

If we go home or leave the site insecure and a van is nicked then we are liable through negligence. If we have fulfilled our security obligations and are burgled then we are not liable and you have to claim from your insurance.

Unfortunatly we are not immune to the cutting torch and bolt cutter brigade but we hope should it happen then we might not catch them but we should see them in live action and security co can contact police directly.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

I would think that as you are paying the storage owner for safe storage he has a duty of care under contract law. The storage site should have liability insurance in place. In this case I think the storage owner is liable, but you may need to take professional advice on it and not rely on advice from a forum. Good luck.

I would think that as you are paying the storage owner for safe storage he has a duty of care under contract law. The storage site should have liability insurance in place. In this case I think the storage owner is liable, but you may need to take professional advice on it and not rely on advice from a forum. Good luck.

T&C's form part of a contract that both sides agree to when they sign. If having your own insurance and site owner not being liable for third party theft is on there . ........... well its pretty clear

What professional advice would you recommend for advising on replacing a £100 battery?

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Just as I said in another thread I knackered my caravan lock the other week so me, husband and mate all went up in his battered work's transit. Normally no one really bothers who comes and goes but within 5 minutes of getting down to the caravan the manager's Husband was down at us checking who it was! Said they didn't recognise the van or see who was in it.

A first for that site being as on the ball but maybe thought we were of a certain community! :D

Compass Shadow 1988

I would suspect that the only insurance the landowner has is accidental damage or protection of his property if someone breaks in and damages it and third party damage liabilities in case the owner or staff cause accidental damage to the vans whilst in their custody but their liability will not include theft or damage caused by other parties - that insurance cover is the responsibility of the individual van owners.

I think the only insurance the storage operators are required to have will be Public Liability Insurance, it covers the operators should you, for example trip over something that shouldn't be there etc etc

No requirement to cover the contents in the facility.