Insurance Repair Advice

imtaylor

Caravan goes to Bailey in bristol and should be away for about 2 months getting repaired.

Bailey have said I need to collect it from them in Bristol (about 300 miles away!), as they need a signature from me. I've spoken to the local dealer who says that I'll be signing to say that all work has been done correctly and that I'm happy with it.

its a major repair that its going in for (new side wall and new roof) so it is virtually being entirely dismantled and rebuilt. So there is potential for all sorts to go wrong. many things, like water leaks etc I won't know until I use it in the field.

I'm thinking that I should probably take someone along with me - like an a caravan inspector (if there is such a thing) or at least someone I know I can rely on as a professional.

Has anyone done this before and any suggestions who I could contact down that way to come along to properly inspect everything that has been done?

thanks,

Was this a warranty repair ?

I cant see why you have the problem of collecting the caravan when it should be down to the dealer to get the caravan repaired .

Sorry for the Rant but this does annoy me when you are told that YOU have to take it hundreds of miles to get it fixed on warranty claims when it the dealer responsibility for a warranty repair and it is correctly carried out .

OK rant over . :angry:

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Rita - thanks. will pm.

Dave - no, its an insurance repair. hit a deer last summer - theres another thread on it. Manufacturer will collect from local dealer but I have to collect it from Bailey in Bristol to "sign it off"

Perhaps the insurance will cover the expense of the trip since it must become part of the claim. I would also expect that it is the insurance company that need to be checking the repair has been carried out correctly since they are paying for it. I would suggest a call to the claims dept for guidance.

I would ask them to water test when you collect it. I guess the warranty is still running on it so although it's not ideal, you have a fall back. I share your concern though, it's one if the reasons why my van hasn't been put through an insurance repair for hail damage. I like it too much to run the risk of problems further down the line.

Caravanless. ...

I would require payment for the collection. Take advice from your insurers re signing and ask Bailey for the wording of what they will ask you to sign.

Also if you have legal advise through any organisation you are a member of give them a call.

I think that any work they do must carry a guarantee, would be worried if you would be signing that away.

What would happen if you were not happy and refused to sign? Would they put you up in a hotel while the rushed the correction through?

It may be that Bailey simply want to ensure you are truly happy and there may be nothing to be suspicious about, but like most people I get a bit cynical.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Insurance companies require a written statement from the insured before they pay the repairer. Although the insured signs a satisfaction note it doesn't affect his statutory rights.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Spoke to insurance co about this - they said there was nothing for me to wrroy about. I asked what I'd be signing from Bailey - they confirmed a satisfaction notice which they require before they make payment. I told them i wasn't qualified to look over the van in minute details to test every aspect of it and said that i was concerned that if there are water leaks (which I wouldn't know until I took it away) that I'd then be without the van again for weeks etc. They again said that the very reason they want the van back at the manufacturer is so that the job is done properly (presumably that means they don't trust their local dealers!?) which makes sense. They also said they won't pay for an inspector to look over it. When i mentioned about signing the satisfaction form, they said that i didn't need to whilst I was there. I thought, I can see that conversation down at Bailey though - err, sorry, you aren't taking it away then, or something that effect?

Will give CCC a call i think for some advice. i almost wish they'd written it off now, I'd got the cash and then bought another one a year newer!!

It is probable that your policy is on an indemnity basis as per most property policies. In essence this means your insurer must put you back into the same financial position prior to the loss. In practice this means you must not be out of pocket in any way.

In my view this means any travel expenses must be picked up by your insurer whether you collect or not. .. personally I think they should deliver it back as part of the claim.

in respect of workmanship if you did find it below par again you could easily go back to the insurer later and show that you have been left with a damaged product and thus are in a worse financial position. ... they would then need to take it back and do it again or make you an offer of cash for the damaged van. This is probably why they are very keen it is sorted first time.

what is key is you dont take any action outside of your insurers knowledge like get a mate to try and fix something. ... this could land you in a world of trouble.

basically your policy must not leave you in a worse financial position.

hope that is of some help.