Paint Protection System For New Caravan.

SuperJock

Now been told my new Coachman van will be available for collection on 26th Feb.

I was wondering what the CT members think of the various paint protection systems?

They seem to vary in price and warranty also varies.

One gives lifetime and another several years.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Another thread on caravan chat covers this subject Jock.

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

I think they're a huge con: just my opinion. Soon as I get a new van home I polish it with Autoglym Super resin Polish. I was it with A

utoglym shampoo using their Caravan and Motorhome cleaner to do stubborn marks. Then before the winter I polish it again. Takes a couple of hours but beats paying hundreds of pounds. These products are VERY profitable for dealers so they tend to try and sell them when they can.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I think they're a huge con: just my opinion. Soon as I get a new van home I polish it with Autoglym Super resin Polish. I was it with A

utoglym shampoo using their Caravan and Motorhome cleaner to do stubborn marks. Then before the winter I polish it again. Takes a couple of hours but beats paying hundreds of pounds. These products are VERY profitable for dealers so they tend to try and sell them when they can.

+1. Exactly my view. For an even better finish that seems to last for months use Autoglym's extra gloss protection on top as that seems as good as sealants. PS I am just a satisfied user. ..

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Hello.

As above,plus,.if you had it done,it is only as good as the person applying it,that is why some say yes but many will say no

Hedgebumper

Paint sealant is not a polish, it does work and works well if applied properly, which it seems seldom is. They are certainly not a con, over priced maybe if you buy it from a dealer, but they are a tried and tested product that works.

I work with car bodywork daily. I have no commercial interest in the products, however my cars and the van are all paint sealed.

Did you know panel wipe will remove any wax polish in a second but will not do the same to a paint sealant.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I use paint protection regularly through my business and I know how to use it, I won't guarantee it for 5 years, however with the correct aftercare I would suggest it gives good protection for around 3 years.

Phil

Edited by Phil O

We had our Coachman paint sealed by Tourershine when it was 6 months old and I would highly recommend these guys and the product. Makes such a difference when washing the van.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Thanks for all the comments.

I have been down Halfords reading the blurb on Autoglym. Seems it could be done easily enough by myself, also an awful lot cheaper.

My present van is 3. 5yrs old and the sides, back and front seem satisfactory. The roof shine has definitely begun to fade but I have only every used Turtlewax or similar.

Maybe try Autoglymn products on the new van with myself applying the products.

Seems a lot of money to spend on professionals, quotes are £240 to £400

Ebay is the best source of paint sealant products if you want to have a go yourself. The £240 you quoted is fair if the job is done 100% correctly as it can take a good while to do.

Not forgetting that if you do it yourself any dirt or marks left on before sealing will be there to stay.

Edited by screenman

I think it is sad that sometimes advice is given out by people with no exterience of the product they are commenting on, people who think paint sealant and resin wax have anything in common, they do not. I have been to the factory, I have seen the tests, I have carried out my own tests, paint sealant when applied properly works.

Applied by people like Tourershine and you will have a good long lasting product that will serve you extremely well. Have it appled at the stealers by a guy who cannot be bothered and is on £6 an hour then you may well have wasted your money, as the packet you bought is now being used on his mates car.

So if somebody says paint selant down not work then they have not used it, not tested it and may have paid the bill for something they did not receive.

Rant over, for now.

I have no idea what experience screenman has so would not comment on it. I have had many years experience in the automotive trade both cars and leisure vehicles. Sealants are brilliant when applied correctly on cars but caravans and motorhomes are a completely different ball game. The paints that are used for caravans and motorhomes are nowhere near anything like paint used for cars, also the base materials of caravans and motorhomes are unlike cars. This is my opinion and I won't defend it by slagging others.

Quality valeting of caravans and motorhomes www. motorhomevalet. co. uk

I am all ears now, I am happy to be proved wrong as that is one way I can learn. Why does a sealant that works on car paint not work on the twin pack paints used on vans and motorhomes? I have by the way painted both on numerous ocasions using exactly the same paints I used on cars. What did I do wrong ?

Seems a lot of money to spend on professionals, quotes are £240 to £400

Tourershine did our van for far less than this - they operate a system whereby they block book people in a certain area and then it works out cheaper. See their website here www. tourershine. co. uk ( sorry can't get the hyperlink to work on ipad).

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We had our last two vans done with Paintseal and I swore it was very good. Our current van hasn't been done as I intended to get it done myself but never got round to it. We have had the van 9 months now and I can honestly say that cleaning it is just as easy as if we had had it Paintsealed. Getting the few black marks off is easy with a bit of white spirit on a cloth and washing it with clean warm water is all it needs. £399 well saved in my view! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I had a car sealed from new for a lot of money by a main dealer. Within 6 months water was not beading and it needed polishing. As I reckon on polishing and gloss protecting two or three times a year anyway I saw no benefit of consequence for my £399.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I would say to the previous 2 post that it was not applied properly, or that you had the vehicle washed at some time using the wrong product.

In fact if you both paid £399 you got robbed.

I hope in the case of BFM you have been back to the stealer.

Edited by screenman

It was years ago. Once bitten, though. I always hand wash our cars myself with proper car products.

By con I'm referring to motor dealers and caravan dealers who charge up to five hundred quid. I'm certainly not having a go at the likes of Tourershine who I know are brilliant. Autoglym is not the same as sealers BUT if you are prepared to do the work the end result seems pretty similar to me.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Tourershine seem to have a very good reputation.

The £240 I mentioned, in an earlier post, was their quotation.

However apart from easy cleaning nobody seems to comment on the van appearance after a few years. Nor do they mention the routines and products used to maintain the van after it has been treated.

Perhaps my elbow grease and autoglymn will do the trick.