Lengthy Warranties, Hmm...................

Tandem Man

As is evident from my previous posts we are looking to replace our tow car.

We have eventually decided on a particular model but that is by the by.

What has struck me looking around at various makes is the lengthy warranties now on offer,Kia 7 years,Hyundai 5 yrs,Vauxhall 100,000 miles to the first owner etc.

Vauxhall for instance say that with their 100,000 mile warranty this could mean it is covered by warranty for the life of the vehicle subject to a modest mileage of course.

However they also state that "wear and tear" is not covered.

So what happens after ten years say and a drive-shaft or alternator goes ?

Same with Kia,wheel bearing at six and a half years ??

"Wear and tear sir."

Am I being unduly cynical or are these warranties really as good as they seem ?

Where exactly does the warranty end and "wear and tear" start ?

Ian

i have always been the same when you read "lifetime warranty" Imo i see that as if it breaks then it has come to the end of its life.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I bought a new Vauxhal Astra a couple of years ago and it has the 100,000 mile warranty. ....I know the salesman and I did grill him about this warranty and he said as far as he knew vauxhall would honour all items stated in the leaflet that itemises the parts that are covered. I read it and was happy to see what was covered,however be aware that Vauxhall only cover your car for the first 3 years after that it's a warranty company that take over the cover. ..maybe they might wriggle a bit I do not know. ..I think Vauxhall have done this under the assumption that most people change thier cars every four to five years so most probuably will not see out the 100,000 miles. .malc

When I have enquired about car warranties and what is covered I usually get told something has to actually break for it to be covered under the warranty.

Things like radios and battery are not covered for the period. Only a year on a KIA radio which is a Panasonic warranty.

Warranties give that nice warm feeling till you want to use them.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The Hyundai 5-year unlimited mileage warranty contains a list of items with their specific mileage limits - it's not an unreasonable list - documented on their website so you can see it well in advance of any car purchase.

Don't all warranties publish their specific exclusions/limits ?

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

My friend had a Vauxhall and the air con failed.

Turned out the condenser was holed and the gas was lost.

The dealer would do nothing until the warranty company agreed that this item was covered.

Initially the dealer tried the "fair wear and tear" routine.

I would expect a condenser to last the life of the car.

Anyhow they paid up in the end.

I've a Citroen C6, and it has a Citroen warranty. It's now 5 years old. The condenser unit went, and Citroen (or their agent!) paid, after inspecting it- which took 1 day. It cost around £1000, btw.

Not a manufacturers warranty but a so called Gold" top of the range one that was provided with my 06 Nissan Xtrail to cover 12 months. So far not had to try to claim except sticking caliper - not covered, leaking Intercooler might be covered if they inspect it after taking off and must be replaced with genuine Nissan part at a cost of £1500. 00 they would then pay single claim maximum of £1000 leaving me to foot the extra £500. Alternative fit after market intercooler cost £850. Both carried 1 year guarantee.

In the end mechanic friend fitted an aftermarket in around 20 minutes which cost £200. 00 and had a 2 year guarantee. How could the garage justify at least £850? They told me it was 2 hours labour to fit!!!

Non manufacturer warranties are not worth gthe paper they are written on. Better to get 6 months parts & labour from the garage or dealer you purchase from.

Edited by David55

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

Each manufacturer sets what is called a 'book' time for a particular job. This allows calculations to be made on costs if labour is £x per hour for estimates. However, they always seem to be set for the slowest, most clumsy mechanic imaginable.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Bad craic on Kia warranty when they wouldn't replace an imploding sunroof on a nearly new Sportage.

http://www. thisismoney. co. uk/money/cars/article-2552135/Our-Kia-Sportage-panoramic-sunroof-imploded-two-years-ownership. html

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Have a look at the SsangYong warranty . ..

http://www. ssangyonggb. co. uk/warranty

Vicky

post-38857-0-87830300-1351008423_thumb.jpg
www.leisureworldgroup.com
post-38857-0-37340800-1349458087_thumb.jpg

"A Family Firm with Family Values"

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Talk Best Dealer Award

Regional and Overall Winner of the Practical Caravan Dealer of the Year 2011

Winner of the 2012 Caravan Times Reader Award for the Most Popular Caravan Dealership

I bought a new Vauxhal Astra a couple of years ago and it has the 100,000 mile warranty. ....I know the salesman and I did grill him about this warranty and he said as far as he knew vauxhall would honour all items stated in the leaflet that itemises the parts that are covered. I read it and was happy to see what was covered,however be aware that Vauxhall only cover your car for the first 3 years after that it's a warranty company that take over the cover. ..maybe they might wriggle a bit I do not know. ..I think Vauxhall have done this under the assumption that most people change thier cars every four to five years so most probuably will not see out the 100,000 miles. .malc

Thanks for posting this, I always thought the life time warranty was with Vauxhall.

My Wife drives a Kia Cee'd (2007, 57 plate) owned from new.

At 5 and a half years, we had suspension bushings replaced under warranty.

They said, As there was no sign of abuse, ie, off roading or using the car, for which it wasn't designed, then they would be replaced.

Al.

I know guys here do not like Toyota, but they have a 5 year warranty 100,000 miles. The thing is, you can extend the manufacturer warranty up to 10 years with no milage limited. My Avensis was covered by the extended watrranty, and anything needed doing was done with no issue. Admitedly, there were not many (my car is older, so had 3 years 60,000 miles, which I extended).

MrBro

Toyota RAV4+Bailey Orion 430

Hi,we've had a balljoint and driveshaft replaced by Hyundai under warranty and we're told these parts are covered upto 60 thousand miles.

They also replaced clutch and DMf when the car was over a year old.

Currently waiting for new steering wheel to come in to replace one that has leather peeling(car just under 2 1/2 years old)

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

I'm the 2nd owner of my Vauxhall Insignia so NOT covered by the lifetime warranty.

I bought an extended 3 yr warranty through Vauxhall. Last MOT a suspension strut failed. Mechanic best practice is to replace them in pairs. Warranty would only stump up the cost for the one side.

The Vx lifetime warranty is only for the 1st owner. Even their initial 3 yr warranty excludes items regarded as "trim" after the 1st year.

2007 Bailey Pageant Burgundy S6. 2009 Insignia Elite 2. 0 petrol turbo 4x4 - pulls like a train but guzzles juice!

Thanks for posting this, I always thought the life time warranty was with Vauxhall.

Yes and at the time of you looking to buy one of thier cars they do not volunteer this information,I only found out after I had actually bought my car,although to be honest it would not have stopped me buying another Vauxhall. I have had Vauxhalls over the years and always found them to be good cars,although the air con condensor failed very early on my new astra which was replaced without any problems and now at 20,000 miles plus I have had as expected many worry free miles. I still think the Vauxhall warranty to be one of the best if not even the best. I will need to replace my disco for another tow vehicle but just cannot get myself to "like" the Antara. Looking at the ssayong rexton which as previously been stated had a very good warranty.

I always thought that the extended warranty was offered by Vauxhall and any claims administered by their warranty department.

Its a limited warranty but covers all the main components that you would expect (see link below) Like any vehicle warranty you have to have the vehicle serviced according to Vauxhalls servicing schedules.

http://www. vauxhall. co. uk/owners_services/warranty_assistance/lifetime_warranty_terms. html

I always thought that the extended warranty was offered by Vauxhall and any claims administered by their warranty department.

Its a limited warranty but covers all the main components that you would expect (see link below) Like any vehicle warranty you have to have the vehicle serviced according to Vauxhalls servicing schedules.

http://www. vauxhall. co. uk/owners_services/warranty_assistance/lifetime_warranty_terms. html

Just spoken to a Vauxhall Technician and he's confirmed that the Life Time Warranty is a limited Vauxhall manufactures warranty to the first owner.

Even if you have the car serviced at the recommended schedules by a independent garage and not with a Vauxhall dealer, as long as you book the vehicle into a Vauxhall dealership for a free yearly health check, this will keep the Life time Warranty valid.

Edited by Gaz40

If it's anything like vauxhall there warranty is a joke the astra needed its second service they wanted to regas aircon if they didn't the aircon would not be covered also same problem with brake fluid

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

Just spoken to a Vauxhall Technician and he's confirmed that the Life Time Warranty is a limited Vauxhall manufactures warranty to the first owner.

Even if you have the car serviced at the recommended schedules by a independent garage and not with a Vauxhall dealer, as long as you book the vehicle into a Vauxhall dealership for a free yearly health check, this will keep the Life time Warranty valid.

As I understood yes Vauxhall will handle the warranty but is covered by a warranty company on behalf of Vauxhall. ...but I could stand to be corrected. .its what the service department informed me. .but yes they could be misguided and I may have it wrong. .best speak to the salesman and ask the questionand get a direct answer,yes or no. .malc

If it's anything like vauxhall there warranty is a joke the astra needed its second service they wanted to regas aircon if they didn't the aircon would not be covered also same problem with brake fluid

The probable reason for this. ............

When the air-con is re-gassed they also add a lubricant, this lubricates the compressor and stops the systems seals drying out.

The brake fluid has a serviceable life within the braking system and changing the fluid at the recommended intervals, gives you optional hydraulic pressure and again lubricates the system, especially the ABS pump.

So if you don't stick to the service requirements (Dealer or Independent) you could damage these types of components prematurely and possibly invalidate any manufactures warranty.

As I understood yes Vauxhall will handle the warranty but is covered by a warranty company on behalf of Vauxhall. ...but I could stand to be corrected. .its what the service department informed me. .but yes they could be misguided and I may have it wrong. .best speak to the salesman and ask the questionand get a direct answer,yes or no. .malc

Apparently it is definitely Vauxhall's own manufactures warranty. .... Better to talk to the service department and their warranty administrator to ask the question. ;)

Edited by Gaz40

With vauxhall warranty ( lifetime ) when you get it serviced ( has to be main agent ) you then receive a new warranty card for the next 12months through the post

Edited by darrenm

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

With vauxhall warranty ( lifetime ) when you get it serviced ( has to be main agent ) you then receive a new warranty card for the next 12months through the post

Sorry that's not correct.

You can have your Vauxhall serviced by an independent garage as long as they service it to Vauxhalls servicing requirements All you have to do then, is get your vehicle booked into a main dealer for a free 12 month health check and get your warranty card stamped by that Vauxhall Dealer. (Email Vauxhall customer services for confirmation)

Quote from Vauxhalls terms and conditions below and just to re emphasise the warranty is a Vauxhall OEM warranty.

" 3. Customer duties to retain warranty

The Lifetime Warranty is dependent on an annual visit of the vehicle to a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer who will activate and validate the warranty extension for another year starting from the 12 month period from registration or anniversary of registration. Activation and validation of the warranty is required every 12 months. This can only be carried out by a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer. The activation and validation can be performed up to 14 days after the expiry date.

Annual activation and validation of the Lifetime Warranty cover is also dependent upon the confirmation that the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommended servicing schedules using genuine Vauxhall parts or parts of equal quality including oils. Vauxhall may request details of this service history at any time during the warranty period."

(Receipts)

Edited by Gaz40

Years ago, Skoda ran an extended warranty scheme to boost sales. In order to maintain warranty the owners had to subject cars at regular intervals of inspections/ service by Skoda. The owners had to pay for all this which meant that few parts would fail and therefore the warranty became too expensive. A customer of ours sold their Skoda because they couldn't afford the high frequency of servicing.

My own experience of manufacturers warranties is mixed. Citroen refusing to investigate fuel fault in one instance but EVENTUALLY agreeing to rectify fault with brakes in another.

Most insurance backed warranties are not worth the paper they are written on, PERHAPS with the exception of SMTA.