Scratch Removal From Windscreen

Lefthand Down

Any suggestions on removing very fine scratch from part of screen?

Probably caused by a single piece of grit in a cleaning cloth.(short zig-zag)

Can only be seen when the sun is in the right direction so not a deep scratch.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Come to the Lakes - we have no sunshine!

Jewellers rouge? Toothpaste? Furniture polish?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Try T-cut and then some Mer on a micro fibre cloth. If that doesn't work you could try windowise or you can buy glass polishing compound, but I don't know how much it costs.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Do as Alexbee says, and commit fraud along with your premiums rising for the next 5 years, no claims will not be affected though.

25+ years of glass repair under my belt, if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail it is not coming out without distortion. To remove a scratch you must remove glass and feather the scratch out, this creates a lens effect, hence the distortion.

Funny thing is for many years I had the contract for Radio Rentals and we could remove as much glass as we needed from a TV screen and the picture still looked fine.

You can buy ceroim oxide ready made up from amazon or the powder here. ..

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/50g-cerium-oxide-FREE-U-K-POST-/251427581514

Thanks Eric. Found this on Amazon. ... Glass Polishing Kit - For Light Scratches. It includes a drill disc and and pads etc. May take an hour but worth a try.

Chick a rock at it and then claim for a new one. :ph34r:

You must be joking!

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

You must be joking!

Glad someone noticed. There was me thinking the smiley was a giveaway, but judging on other reactions it appears not.

Do as Alexbee says, and commit fraud along with your premiums rising for the next 5 years, no claims will not be affected though.

I hope you are joking.

Glad someone noticed. There was me thinking the smiley was a giveaway, but judging on other reactions it appears not.

I hope you are joking.

No I am certainly not joking, I have been in the windscreen trade for over 25 years. I talk daily with the people on the front line and the insurers I know what is happening. The BBC even did a programm on it a while back.

Windscreen repair is free!! at point of sale is the bit they miss out, trading standards are weak on this sort of thing.

I missed your smiley, apologies for that, but as it is advice I very often see on the web I react quickly to it. I suppose I should not bring my work into the forum.

We have spoken to many insurers over the years who have asked us to polish screens, on explaining to them the reasons why we do not, or in some cases doing a demonstration they have said stop! we do not want that done.

Even in jest. ... 'chucking' something at the windscreen is hardly likely to result in a free repair.

Last time some little hooligan did that, it was a new windscreen . ...and £50 excess out of my pocket.

If I chucked something at my windscreen it would be just my luck for the screen to remain intact but for the rock to bounce onto the bonnet and cause a lot more damage to the paintwork :unsure:

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Farécla G3 will polish out scratches from glass, but will, as has already been pointed out, it will create some distortion to the view.

I've done it on wiper blade scratches on a windscreen and a scratch on a glass CRT TV screen.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Farécla G3 will polish out scratches from glass, but will, as has already been pointed out, it will create some distortion to the view.

I've done it on wiper blade scratches on a windscreen and a scratch on a glass CRT TV screen.

Bookmarked thank you. .... :)

If I chucked something at my windscreen it would be just my luck for the screen to remain intact but for the rock to bounce onto the bonnet and cause a lot more damage to the paintwork :unsure:

Exactly what happened to mine. ..but fortunately the scratch wasnt THAT bad . ...on an 8 year old tug.

The good news is the damage can't be detected by touching with a finger nail so it may respond to light polishing. B)

Exactly got to agree . . ........... using a ball pane hammer is safer . :ph34r:

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The good news is the damage can't be detected by touching with a finger nail so it may respond to light polishing. B)

Take is easy, a very little bit at a time, we have found a few microns can cause distortion, What caused it? some marks like that left by aluminium can look like a scratch by not be one.

What caused it? some marks like that left by aluminium can look like a scratch by not be one.

Not sure because it was inherited from previous owner.

As said in OP it looks as if a single grain of grit has been carried up and down during cleaning about three short strokes across horizontally. (zig-zag) Possibly a cloth carried the grit. A close look on outside of screen and the damage is not really visible. Only from inside with sun at specific angle does it show up.

Not sure because it was inherited from previous owner.

As said in OP it looks as if a single grain of grit has been carried up and down during cleaning about three short strokes across horizontally. (zig-zag) Possibly a cloth carried the grit. A close look on outside of screen and the damage is not really visible. Only from inside with sun at specific angle does it show up.

Inside or outside of the glass, the amount of times I used to get called out for scratches people could not feel only to find the were feeling the wrong side of the glass.

Zigzag marks are often but not always inside and caused by somebody with a ring on their finger wiping the glass.

Zigzag marks are often but not always inside and caused by somebody with a ring on their finger wiping the glass.

Waiting for a bit of sun :rolleyes: to confirm but you could well be right about the ring. (my first thought when first seen)

Bird poo caused mine!

I would have normally used the hot wet cloth pre soak method. ..but was away from home when it 'stuck'.

Rubbed it off with some tissues. ...damn bird had obviously been feeding on grit!