Caravan Satellite

Hello everyone,

If I was to buy one of the packages consisting . . tripod dish cable etc . ..would that be the end of my televiewing probs . .like when we are in the lakes etc? haven't a clue wot I should buy, just want freeview channels, news, the odd prog, with good reception, anyone advice me please?

Thanks Dode.

Are you a Sky subscriber at home?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Then I'll leave it for others to explain about getting freeview. There is a good website which off the top of my head I think is satelliteforcaravans. co. uk

P. S. Yes - got the website right. Run by a private individual but full of useful info.

Graham

One bit of advice. If, one way or another, you decide on a satellite system, then as you arrive on site and before you select a pitch, then get your compass and eyes out.

Check the horizon and try to pick a pitch with a clear view of where the satellite should be.

For example, Hawes CC site is awkward so I gave up and talked to my wife instead.

Won't go there again :)

Graham

I would look in the likes of B&Q as they often have good value satellite system which are complete except for the tripod. The sets consist of a dish, 60cm would be fine for the UK, a satellite receiver plus a few other bits and pieces. The advantage of a dish over an aerial is that you will be able to get your local TV programmes. Do you have an aerial on the roof of your caravan? One advantage of an aerial is that its not so affected by line of sight where as a satellite dish requires a clear view of the sky.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I agree with David. I have a satellite dish and receiver but I only use it when I'm in Europe - so that I can pick up English speaking programmes. In the UK I find that the aerial on the caravan almost always picks up the full range of freeview channels, but I'm sure there are sites where a digital signal is not available. The CC site at Morvich is one exception because there is no digital service at all there but there may be others.

Edited by Highlandman

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

This is one I got from b&q it also takes a usb dongle or hard drive only trouble if you are not familiar with satellite it can be a bit daunting as there are loads of satellites to choose from, all bar two which are pretty u/s. I use my dish mounted on a lighting stand bought from maplins just keep the finger tightening bolts that come with the stand and substitute the ones on the dish for these and you dont need spanners to mount the dish scrap the smaller tubes and the smaller third tier tube and just use two tiers this tripod has a good surface area so it is very stable.

post-54543-0-99740000-1391631077_thumb.jpg

Edited by langers8

I bought an HD satellite receiver from Aldi I think it was about £60 It works well if it can see the satellite no trees or buildings in the way. I have used it from several sites in the UK and find it reasonably easy to set up. I have also used it in Jersey to watch the midlands news from back home

I purchased a Ross HD portable sat system from a really nice guy on ebay, brand new. .£50. . Great pic and easy peasy to set up, once you know how. ..

Got a tripod just prior to Christmas, even though the sat dish has brackets to fit to jockey shell and a big suction cup mount. ..not tried it on the van yet. ..Easter will be its first outing in the van but have used it at home and the picture is very good on my samsung hd tv

I have an old B&Q free sat dish and box and an old washing line tripod. I fix the tripod to the ground then twist the dish to line it up with compass. It works well most of the time . But you can not always get signal because of trees. I've used it in the UK & France.

sateliteforcaravans is a good site.

Sprite Quattro dd Volvo xc60

I can vouch for how easy this dish seems to be to set up, I can't help with freesat boxes as I have sky in the van but they seem to be fairly inexpensive, if you can get some advice on which receiver to get try and get one with a fast response time. That way when you park up all you need to do is locate SE on your compass that comes in the kit, slowly swing the dish until the signal strength on screen is acceptable and bobs your uncle.

http://www. maplin. co. uk/p/maxview-omnisat-54cm-portable-satellite-dish-kit-a92ht

post-55551-0-90822400-1391643991.jpg

Edited by sleepyfolk

The Freesat HD unit we have and find excellent is this one from Humax .

It is discontinued as a main line product but still available at a good price from Humax Direct; these are return/refurbished or over stock items but experience is that they are indistinguishable from new and as its a discontinued line could well be new unsold stock.

http://www1. humaxdirect. co. uk/Direct/prod/3aa9a384-ac94-486c-8c1b-3a2f698c05cb

The dish we use is a Triax 54 cm one that is packaged with its own tripod giving a compact ground sitting unit so not too prone to wind disturbances. As supplied it comes with carrying bag and made up cable.

http://shop. satelliteonline. co. uk/fast-finder-portable-satellite-dish-kit-330-p. asp

These two units plus a suitable lead to connect the Humax to the TV are all that is required. However I have added a compass and a cheap satellite finder.

http://www. tlc-direct. co. uk/Products/MX27860R. html

just want freeview channels, news, the odd prog, with good reception, anyone advice me please?

Thanks Dode.

You can't get Freeview with a satellite dish!

You need an Aerial (long thing with stickyout bits).

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

We've been all through this before haven't we? See http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90558-television-aerials/

Why have you started another thread on the same topic Ladydode 100?

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

One thing that is often overlooked. Unlike a TV aerial which does need to be, a satellite dish does not need to be in the air. It will work perfectly well at ground level if it has a clear view in the right direction and is correctly aligned. Also don't be mislead by the dish: as the LNB (the bit on the end of the arm that you connect your cable to) is offset, when the dish is vertical the LNB is actually 'looking' at a signal coming from about 25 deg upwards which is surprisingly steep - it would clear a 50ft tree at about 40yds or in new money a 16m tree at about 35m. Just make sure there will not be a lot of foot or vehicle traffic in the near foreground - a car or 6ft person will not affect the signal at more than about 15ft.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

And I am giving away a single LNB Dish and tripod for free. Collection Cumbria!e

See Classifieds

Graham

Ladydode - PM sent to you

Graham