When Is Jvc Not Jvc?

jslocks

The answer to that question is apparently when you have bought a TV from Comet.

We bought a new TV last April from Comet for the caravan which has been O. K. For about 2 months but we haven't used it for at least 6. We got it out a couple of weeks ago and found that after 20 minutes or so the picture became out of sink with the sound. To cut a long story short I took it to our local TV repairers and they have phoned to say that it needs a software update but there is not one available.

He phoned JVC who told him they didn't make the TV even though it has their name on it so they don't hold the software update. My repairer said that I bought it because it had the JVC name on it but apparently it is a Comet special so sorry they can't help.

I wonder how much of this goes on and how you find out if you are buying the genuine article or not. No wonder Comet went bust!!

He is going to try another update which might work but might also render the set useless. My risk so watch this space.

At least with a caravan the name on it is genuine but not necessarily good quality.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

OUCH. Found this in the depths of JVC's website

If you have purchased a JVC TV from Comet, your TV is a model that was directly imported by Comet and sold by them under an exclusive Sales and Service agreement. Comet was responsible for all support on these products. JVC(UK) originally had no service or support information or spare parts for these models.

If you have a faulty JVC TV that was purchased from Comet and you purchased it with a Credit Card, you can contact to your Credit Card provider who is jointly liable with Comet for a refund of your faulty product under Section 75(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If you have a faulty JVC TV that was purchased from Comet and you did not purchase it with a Credit Card, please email the details to info@jvc. co. uk and our Service Partner will contact you to help. There is currently a rather large backlog of contacts, so it may take a few weeks for them to contact you. We realise this is not ideal, but as these TVs were imported and supported by Comet, we originally had no information or support infrastructure at all for them, and this has had to be set up from scratch, including spare parts supply, software, service manuals, service tools, etc. , hence the delays.

I suspect your TV may be made by Vestel. See http://www. fixdevice. org/firmwares/tv/vestel. html for firmware download.

Hopefully you bought it with a credit card!!

Edited by henrypartridge

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

OUCH. Found this in the depths of JVC's website

If you have purchased a JVC TV from Comet, your TV is a model that was directly imported by Comet and sold by them under an exclusive Sales and Service agreement. Comet was responsible for all support on these products. JVC(UK) originally had no service or support information or spare parts for these models.

If you have a faulty JVC TV that was purchased from Comet and you purchased it with a Credit Card, you can contact to your Credit Card provider who is jointly liable with Comet for a refund of your faulty product under Section 75(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If you have a faulty JVC TV that was purchased from Comet and you did not purchase it with a Credit Card, please email the details to info@jvc. co. uk and our Service Partner will contact you to help. There is currently a rather large backlog of contacts, so it may take a few weeks for them to contact you. We realise this is not ideal, but as these TVs were imported and supported by Comet, we originally had no information or support infrastructure at all for them, and this has had to be set up from scratch, including spare parts supply, software, service manuals, service tools, etc. , hence the delays.

I suspect your TV may be made by Vestel. See http://www. fixdevice. org/firmwares/tv/vestel. html for firmware download.

Hopefully you bought it with a credit card!!

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Many thanks for that Henry. Unforunately my TV is not specified there and JVC said there was no known software for it.

If they can't do it I while cut my losses and buy an Avtex which at least has front mounted speakers. The JVC we have sends the sound all round the caravan instead of the watchers. They all seem the same now. The Avtex W165 DRS seems to fit the bill.

Any comments appreciated.

John

I came across this 10 years ago when my " TOSHIBA" TV broke just outside warranty, tv repair man said sorry mate its a REALISTIC TV cant fix it !

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

I came across this 10 years ago when my " TOSHIBA" TV broke just outside warranty, tv repair man said sorry mate its a REALISTIC TV cant fix it !

Ste

It's all one big con then but how do you find out what you are getting. Probably avoid the big retailers??

John

It's all one big con then but how do you find out what you are getting. Probably avoid the big retailers??

Vestel make TVs, recorders etc with many well known brand name badges and sometimes small cosmetic differences.

Vestel Trade

Vestel Trade is in charge of marketing and distribution of all Vestel products overseas and has been exporting 88% of its products to the leading Japanese and European brands in 140 countries

Vestel make TVs, recorders etc with many well known brand name badges and sometimes small cosmetic differences.

Vestel Trade

Vestel Trade is in charge of marketing and distribution of all Vestel products overseas and has been exporting 88% of its products to the leading Japanese and European brands in 140 countries

Why don't theyput their own name on it then? Still think it is a con. Anyway my TV repair man has succeeded in updating the software so we are back in business again!!!!!!

Edited by Jslocks

John

Why don't theyput their own name on it then? Still think it is a con. Anyway my TV repair man has succeeded in updating the software so we are back in business again!!!!!!

Because they are produced under licence. My Toshiba TV is bought from Tesco if anything goes wrong I have to contact Tesco not Toshiba.

Because they are produced under licence. My Toshiba TV is bought from Tesco if anything goes wrong I have to contact Tesco not Toshiba.

Don't Tesco get you to ring a contract service line number? They used to at one time.

To be fair, that's how it should work, you go back to the person you gave your money too, not the manufacturer, although many manufacturers are asking you to go direct to them, they can give better service that way, if they are a good company.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

To be fair, that's how it should work, you go back to the person you gave your money too, not the manufacturer, although many manufacturers are asking you to go direct to them, they can give better service that way, if they are a good company.

Bit difficult when they go bust like Comet. Not too sure that they could have put mine right anyway but my independent retailer has. Guess where I will buy next TV?

John

Some years go we were asked by an agent to take on a contract for storage and distribution of well known European white goods manufacturer,however, for space reasons we couldn't accept the work and it was only recently I found out the goods were ex a Central European country, non EU at that time. ......they would arrive in ferry trailers, the plugs were cut off and replaced by our 13 amp type. ....the label on the back was replaced by the 'manufacturers name' and the country of origin label was usually that of a Scandinavian country. ....

I know people who bought these items and were very happy with what they bought, and, as far as I am aware, never had any warranty problems. ............but yes a commercial con. ..........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We had the same [similar] problem when we bought a TV from TESCO -- brought it home unpacked it. .

-- connected it to the Sky box in the bedroom and it wouldn't work

-- rang SKY and they said that the TV was an own brand name import possibly from Eastern Europe, and the software would not work with SKY.

Put it back in the Original packing and straight back to TESCO

-- the guy on the electrics service counter wasn't a bit surprised and seemed to know about it.

-- Anyway they changed the set for a major brand one, and that worked OK

-- still working. .

Maurice

Edited by MauriceH

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Bit difficult when they go bust like Comet. Not too sure that they could have put mine right anyway but my independent retailer has. Guess where I will buy next TV?

I would guess John Lewis, who give a 5 year free warranty with TVs that they sell.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I would guess John Lewis, who give a 5 year free warranty with TVs that they sell.

I think they have stopped doing this now haven't they? Nope, just checked, still do in it :)

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I got mine from John Lewis but is any retailer immune from going under leaving purchaser high and dry. The 5 year warranty is good as long as they stay trading, worthless if they don't.

It's a crystal ball job to decide where to spend your money, credit card purchase is probably a good idea.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

I got mine from John Lewis but is any retailer immune from going under leaving purchaser high and dry. The 5 year warranty is good as long as they stay trading, worthless if they don't.

It's a crystal ball job to decide where to spend your money, credit card purchase is probably a good idea.

Credit card is great if you can find the receipt!!

John

Credit card is great if you can find the receipt!!

I have purposely used my credit card for major purchases and my good lady files the receipts. I didn't know we needed them and fortunately havnt so far.

Are there any other hiccups with credit card purchase claims that you are aware of.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

Actually no-one has mentioned the obvious.

If the TV looses speech sync it is often because there is a problem with the signal - the computer (as it is a computer that thinks it is a TV) is having to work so hard to correct the errors and sound usually takes a back seat to the picture that they 'get out of alignment.'

A good way to confirm this is to change to a station that comes from a different mux. Examples are

PSB1 All BBC

PSB2 ITV, Ch4, five

PSB3 Basic HD channels

Com4 ITV3 (10)

Com5 Sky News (82)

Com6 ITV4 (24)

Com7 Secondary HD channels

Note that the Com muxes are only on main stations and some larger relays. They are not on 'Freeview Lite' sites.

Com 7 is only on a handful of main stations and will not be available on all designated stations until at least the middle of the year. Com5 and 6 are at lower power than the other muxes, and Com7 is a very much lower power.

You will probably find that when you change to a station on a different mux the speech sync will be restored but will slip again. If it does then it is almost certainly a signal issue.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Woodentop

I can assure you that there is now nothing wrong with the TV since the new software has been installed. There was, apparently, an error on all these sets. Nothing to do with the signal at all. When the sync went wrong I couldn't change channel anyway.

John