For All You Coffee Lovers Out There!...

friscan

I love my coffee but it has to be a proper cup and most campsites don't have a resident Barista or a Starbucks (Costa, yuck!, thats another discussion!) So, I spent the weekend online seeing what was out there as I find the common cafetiere very clumsy and to be honest the taste isn't that good. Also most pod type machines are good but again bulky for smaller vans' like ours and also can draw a fair amount of amperage!. Then I came across the Aerobie AeroPress coffee maker, highly recommended by professional baristas and it even features a good review with Which?. The price. . £19. 99! and that includes filters and everything you need to get going.

Today this little device arrived via secure delivery from the UK supplier based in Portsmouth and it was so simple to use. I was sceptical as to the cup of coffee it produced but like the reviews I was amazed and felt I should pass this information on to any coffee lover out there looking for a low cost but quality way of making their favourite brew.

Link to UK website click here

post-62470-0-62524500-1391599928_thumb.jpg

Hi friscan,

Thanks for your PM confirming you have no association with the company that makes the coffee maker.

I love trying different coffee's and grind my own beans, I too find the "standard" coffee makers a pain, and the cafetiere only OK.

I had a look at the one you have reviewed, and for £20 I think I will give it a go.

Thanks for the link.

I use a Bialeti and was not too happy with results until I tried Illy coffee - wow what a difference. Might try the Aero Press - lighter weight for van.

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

My daughter bought me a handpresso for Christmas. It makes an excellent single shot of expresso 7 is ideal for the caravan.

http://www. handpresso. com/

Bailey Unicorn Valencia S2 & BMW E61 530i

I have been using an Aeropress for a couple of years now and swear by it. Light, fairly compact, simple to use and easy to clean.

http://www. theguardian. com/technology/video/2014/feb/06/coffee-makers-budget-baristas-video

Has the revolution finally begun?

I start with hand grinding the coffee beans in this

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/HARIO-Grinder-Hand-Mill-Slim-Ceramic-Burr-COFFEE-MSS-1-NEW-IN-BOX-/261370431525?pt=AU_CoffeeGrinders&hash=item3cdae44825

Brew for 4 minutes-timed in this

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Bodum-Rio-0-35-litre-3-cup-Cafetiere-Black-/261392219415?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item3cdc30bd17

Finally consume in this

http://www. bonanza. com/listings/-Lavender-Margaret-Loxton-Coffee-Mug-or-Tea-Cup/98400595

Yes I suppose I like my one cup of coffee a day :) .

Problem with caravanning is where do you dispose of the grounds?

I think I might be at the opposite end of this scale, mine's a Jura Impressa Z9 and makes bean to cup every time. It makes espresso, ristretto, cappuccino, latte, latte machiato, normal coffee, froths milk and boils water if you're in the mood for a cup of tea! You can also program it to make speciality coffees, but I've never done that. The best bit is that you can then buy the cheapest possible beans from Lidl and enjoy cheap running costs. .. ;)

Problem with caravanning is where do you dispose of the grounds?

I just spread them over the field I'm currently pitched in. I imagine they will help the grass grow up to be fit and strong. .. ;)

post-63455-0-81666100-1391775124_thumb.jpg

Yes, you are quite right. ..those sheep do look a bit dodgy with their hoodies on and the mole I heard this morning I'm convinced was trying to burrow his way in through the floor. .. ;)

I've just installed a £3,500 energy management system; they can have the coffee machine! :)

I have been using an Aeropress for a couple of years now and swear by it. Light, fairly compact, simple to use and easy to clean.

http://www. theguardian. com/technology/video/2014/feb/06/coffee-makers-budget-baristas-video

Notice how he does it upside down! i. e. he starts with it upside down with the 'pump' in, adds coffee and water and then turns over

Sam :beardy:

Notice how he does it upside down! i. e. he starts with it upside down with the 'pump' in, adds coffee and water and then turns over

Not the way I have been doing it, but makes perfect sense. I will do it that way next time!

Has the revolution finally begun?

I am of the old school and have an electric percolator in my van. They are still available online but you don't see them in electrical stores.

I like Sainsbury brand continental beans, they are rated 5 strength.

I read somewhere that perked coffee is not healthy but hey what is.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

There are some types of coffee that I like and others I don't, but I never really know why I don't like one and do like another. I don't seem able to pin-point the reason, just the emotion, Jura do a coffee called World of Coffee and that is my favourite so far. Makes me shiver in a warm way when I have that first taste; like seeing a loved one after some time apart. No clue what it is about the coffee that makes me feel like that.

And, yes, I'm happy to take a ribbing from our manly male members about coffee making me feel anything at all!! Bring it on!

We have a built-in coffee machine in the kitchen, but in the van either use a cafetiere or filters. However, the beans are the most important part by far. I found Liz Powell about 5 years ago, and her internet and postal service has gone from strength to strength as she roasts and posts the same day. http://www. coffeebeanshop. co. uk. I write only as a very satisfied customer. In Europe we search out roasteries, only resorting to supermarket beans in extremis. There is a superb one in Frejus with classic old fashioned gracious French service from the owner.

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

They should be with you Monday. What did you go for?

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Just tried the Espresso blend (took some time to use up what was already in there!) and it is lovely. Fantastic aroma, rich taste verging on chocolatey. Lovely and strong too. I'll definitely be buying more :)

Another fan for the coffee bean shop. Love the breakfast blend.

When we go away we take one of these with us. Nice and light, and really convenient:

http://www. coffeebeanshop. co. uk/hario-plastic-filter-cone-p-1111. html

So glad you like their beans. Perhaps we need a CT coffeebeanshop supporter's team!

Maybe such a team would get 10% off all orders. .. ;)

Breakfast blend is on the list. Actually I'll probably just try them all!

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, my coffebean shop supplies turned up yesterday, my aeropress turned up today, Yippee!

As my wife is a no tea/coffee drinker she thinks I'm crazy hehe.

Also my son (ahem) has talked me into the tassimo machine offer so that should arrive next week.

Got all the bases covered for home and away. Just sipping my first home brew - loverly :wub:

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink: