New Unicorn Questions

We are spending our first night in our new Unicorn Cadiz.

Couple of questions.

First, the stupid one.

Where is the light switch for the front ceiling lights?

Cant for the life of me find how to switch them on. All the other lights are fine.

Our water pump is very noisey. Think we have an air leak. I have drained and re filled, with no luck. When I stick the shower head under water we get bubbles.

Can anyone suggest any points to check please?

Thanks

Ian

Switch is under the front nearside top locker. On the wood that is the floor of the locker if that makes sense.

The pump is noisy, you'll get used to it.

Your shower head is an EcoCamel, it mixes air in with the water to make the water go further. It is very good and you will like it once used to it.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Agreed. Because the pump is a different type and inside the van, not in the aquaroll it may be noisier than you are used to.

One thing to check though is that you are not dragging Air in at the exterior water connection point. This will make the pump much noisier. It's not unknown for the O rings to be missing or split from the inlet and remember you have to trap the connection block in place with the flap to help it seal.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Thanks guys! Found the light switch! We just assumed it would be near the door!

The pump is really noisey! Point noted about the shower head, That is how the manual suggested I test it, but didnt have the whole unit under.

I cant see any seal or O ring. Will check in daylight.

Many thanks

Ian

Make sure your filter is not floating on the top of the water in the barrel this type of suction pipe tends to float till the carbon gets saturated

Make sure your filter is not floating on the top of the water in the barrel this type of suction pipe tends to float till the carbon gets saturated

good point

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Not mentioned anywhere I could find, the two switches for the ceiling front lighting are in fact both dimmer switches and if you press them and hold down the lights will dim, release to set them to desired brightness. "not many people know that"! We call the led strips the runway light and the three spots the landing lights to differentiate them!! Sad really.

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Caraman "What a star" just shot out to the van to try them,we like the landing lights on but find them too bright and " THEY WORK " I pressed the switch and nothing happened then slowly dimmed. I though one of the first vans I wont have them but yes I have wait till I tell the wife LOOK WHAT I'VE FOUND I'll then come clean how I found out that gives me more ammo as to the time I spend on my phone on this site and not texting some floozy.

We had a 2012 Unicorn Madrid S1 and straight away noticed the noisy inboard pump.

Eventually it annoyed me so much I changed the system to a submersible pump and they say silence is golden. I tried all the suggested ways to quieten it including talking to Bailey,who were not very interested only referring me to the pump manufacturer who agreed with the noise situation but offered no resolve.

With the original pump reinstated the Madrid has now gone as along with that problem and many more I decided it had to go.

I will have to take a look, its really quite intrusive.

also first thing this morning, there is little water flow, as it is having to fill up again.

maybe a leak somewhere, but then I assume if there was a leak the pump would come on at irregular times.

This is one thing they didnt mention at the caravan show!

Ian

Caraman "What a star" just shot out to the van to try them,we like the landing lights on but find them too bright and " THEY WORK " I pressed the switch and nothing happened then slowly dimmed. I though one of the first vans I wont have them but yes I have wait till I tell the wife LOOK WHAT I'VE FOUND I'll then come clean how I found out that gives me more ammo as to the time I spend on my phone on this site and not texting some floozy.

That's another trip to the van, got to try it.

Not mentioned anywhere I could find, the two switches for the ceiling front lighting are in fact both dimmer switches and if you press them and hold down the lights will dim, release to set them to desired brightness. "not many people know that"! We call the led strips the runway light and the three spots the landing lights to differentiate them!! Sad really.

Dave

Well b****r me. We've had the van now for nearly 18 months and didn't know that. Nice one. Little things. ......

BMW 525d M Sport Touring and Bailey Unicorn Cartagena Series III

Ian, When we had a similar problem ( little water flow & system refilling each morning ) it was traced to a tiny bit of plastic stuck in the non return valve keeping it open just enough to slowly let the water feed back into the aquaroll. Not sure if Cadiz has a non return valve but maybe worth checking out. The O rings Alan refers to are on the rigid plastic tube within the water inlet socket on the van. If these are not seated properly your system will suck air in when the pump is running usually causing a lot of spluttering at the tap & the pump to run constantly ( but very quietly ) as it tries to pressuarise the system.

Finally one tip I learned to quieten the pump in our Valencia was to loosen the screws holding it to the floor as these are sometime overtightened thereby reducing the effectiveness of the rubber mat the pump sits on.

PS: Caraman - pefect timing - off to the storage compound in 1/2 hour so will check the dimmer switch. Think this particular tip will spread like wildfire :)

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Just been and checked ours, and sure enough they are dimmer switches - brilliant. Thanks for the tip.

Just been and checked ours, and sure enough they are dimmer switches - brilliant. Thanks for the tip.

+1

Ian, When we had a similar problem ( little water flow & system refilling each morning ) it was traced to a tiny bit of plastic stuck in the non return valve keeping it open just enough to slowly let the water feed back into the aquaroll. Not sure if Cadiz has a non return valve but maybe worth checking out. The O rings Alan refers to are on the rigid plastic tube within the water inlet socket on the van. If these are not seated properly your system will suck air in when the pump is running usually causing a lot of spluttering at the tap & the pump to run constantly ( but very quietly ) as it tries to pressuarise the system.

Finally one tip I learned to quieten the pump in our Valencia was to loosen the screws holding it to the floor as these are sometime overtightened thereby reducing the effectiveness of the rubber mat the pump sits on.

PS: Caraman - pefect timing - off to the storage compound in 1/2 hour so will check the dimmer switch. Think this particular tip will spread like wildfire :)

Non return valve is built into the head of the pump. I don't beleive it is that easy to service yourself - but might be wrong - suggest this problem is one for your dealership under warranty.

Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 XS and 2013 Bailey Unicorn S2 Valencia

+2

Volvo XC60 Inscription Pro tugging Unicorn Cadiz S4

+2

+Ours Have checked mine on early Valencia S2 [ October 2012] Brilliant, it will save battery on non EHU. Pity its not mentioned in the manual but then there are a few other things missing as well!

We also struggled to find how to turn these lights on, not aware that they were dimming switches though.

We have found out that the S2 model hasn't got the switch to isolate all lights on the bed side as was in our previous model Barcelona which was very practical.

Will try the dimmer switch next time out !

If you spot us reversing onto the pitch next to you don't worry we are very friendly !!

the dogs are well behaved, they wont disturb you !!

Please say hello we like talking to other caravaners with similar interests

Got to check mine tomorrow!!

As Matt Price said above: Well b****r me.

Re the pump noise, I've put foam rubber under my pump, it's a bit quieter now but get air in the system occasionally. Have changed the outside connectors 'O' ring, didn't do much, have just changed the 'O' as it goes into the pump - this 'O' ring had a small moulding mark on the inside of it so might help. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong - never seem to with this type of problem. One thing they did say was to ensure the water pick up was at the bottom of the Aquaroll, suggested adding weight in the form of stainless steel clip or ring but haven't done this yet, will have to try & source some of these. Should be heavy enough by design to overcome this problem, submerged pump would solve this problem & the noise issue!

Well, I'm going to try our lights again. I saw in the manual about the dimmers, but tried it and just get on / off. Maybe I didn't hold the switch for long enough, though I thought I did.

Got to check mine tomorrow!!

As Matt Price said above: Well b****r me.

Re the pump noise, I've put foam rubber under my pump, it's a bit quieter now but get air in the system occasionally. Have changed the outside connectors 'O' ring, didn't do much, have just changed the 'O' as it goes into the pump - this 'O' ring had a small moulding mark on the inside of it so might help. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong - never seem to with this type of problem. One thing they did say was to ensure the water pick up was at the bottom of the Aquaroll, suggested adding weight in the form of stainless steel clip or ring but haven't done this yet, will have to try & source some of these. Should be heavy enough by design to overcome this problem, submerged pump would solve this problem & the noise issue!

Not cheap and you do have to cut to length but these work perfectly. And keep creepy crawlies out.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/HITCHMAN-80MM-PUMP-CONNECTION-FOR-THE-40-LITRE-AQUA-ROLL-4080PC-/190900174234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c72897d9a

Not cheap and you do have to cut to length but these work perfectly. And keep creepy crawlies out.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/HITCHMAN-80MM-PUMP-CONNECTION-FOR-THE-40-LITRE-AQUA-ROLL-4080PC-/190900174234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c72897d9a

Looks like it's a piece of rigid nylon pipe with a screw on cap? Do you know if the carbon filter will attach to the bottom of this pipe?

Looks like it's a piece of rigid nylon pipe with a screw on cap? Do you know if the carbon filter will attach to the bottom of this pipe?

No it does not. The flexible pipe runs down the middle of the rigid tube. Mine needed cutting to length to allow for the filter.

I cut the tube to length with a hacksaw push the existing flexible pipe down and re-attach the filter. Get the measurement right and you can use almost every drop of water in the aquaroll