The Caravan Club Forum

What's wrong with SOME people on the caravan club forum?

Why are some members so un helpful ?

All I did was ask about a recommendation for a CL site with a sea view and the replies were - " read the handbook or look at the map "

Reason for asking is that some CL site descriptions are not fully updated or accurate.

And isn't it always best to ask another caravaner who has stayed at a site for a recommendation etc ?

What a friendly bunch. ..

Edited by Guest

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I did was am about a recommendation for a CL site with a sea view and the replies were - " read the handbook or look at the map "

Yep, says it all.

Been there, done that, got the teeshirt. :(

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

All I did was ask about a recommendation for a CL site with a sea view and the replies were - " read the handbook or look at the map "

Reason for asking is that some CL site descriptions are not fully updated or accurate.

And isn't it always best to ask another caravaner who has stayed at a site for a recommendation etc ?

Mind you they can be a bit touchy on here at times. B)

Ian

I, and I suspect most other 'reasonable' members of the forum didn't answer this because despite frequently visiting the North Yorkshire coast I don't know any CLs with a sea view.

The have you tried using the map on the club site suggestion was probably made meaning to be helpful in that you may not have realised there is such a facility on the web site. As you had bumped your query up to the top of the pile three times by the time that idea was mooted the poster may have thought that you were desperate and any suggestion was better than nothing.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

That is nothing to the responses you might get here. I have a list of over 30 members "ignored" following abuse.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Must admit that CC Forum is last place I would actually ask for that type of info. .... Find that asking same question here or one other forum would get me an answer, if there was such a thing, combined with a look at Google Earth. In last four years I have stayed at 5 cl,s on recommendation from these sources. ...

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I, and I suspect most other 'reasonable' members of the forum didn't answer this because despite frequently visiting the North Yorkshire coast I don't know any CLs with a sea view.

The have you tried using the map on the club site suggestion was probably made meaning to be helpful in that you may not have realised there is such a facility on the web site. As you had bumped your query up to the top of the pile three times by the time that idea was mooted the poster may have thought that you were desperate and any suggestion was better than nothing.

I was surprised at the lack of responses, thinking I had done something wrong I bumped up the post.

Yes, I have tried the map search and looked in the book, but not very successful. I was hoping that a fellow member could assist with a location and not necessarily a club site. .perhaps a recommendation.

Any how, I have found one at Skipsea. ..my old stomping ground or at least what's left of it !

Going to book a week at Seaside caravan site for Easter. .

Thanks for all your comments.

:)

Here's a CS in the Friendly Club that may suit your needs.

Graffitoe Farm, Hunmanby, OS map reference 101/118757

If you Google you will see reviews. It's high on the Wolds, altitude 108 metres, with spectacular views down into Filey Bay.

Here to help.

John.

Edited by John19

There is a CL at Port Logan ( listed under Sandhead just south of Stranraer) that has phenomenal sea views, or you could try Buttercup Meadow listed under North Walsham, or there is the Longhouse near Goodwick in Pembrokeshire, whilst not on the coast the views over the sea are fantastic at the Cl at Knockhill in Fife.

If I think of any more I will post them

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

If you're thinking of Skipsea also have a look at Ulrome, as for CLs I don't know any,

but & however Auburn Farm at Fraisthorpe is close to the beach & its a nice small site, I know its not a CL site anymore but they still hold rallies for the CC on the field next to the beach.

Theres a nice site at Anderby Creek & if you can walk past the pubs to the top of the sand dunes you can see the sea :ph34r:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi Moorlander, There's no excuse for unfriendliness, and I'm sorry you had that.

But a quick look at another forum - not the Caravan Club - and selecting "sites with sea views" , gives a list of about 40 possibilities in East and North Yorkshire, and that includes some which are small sites. I don't suppose the moderators here will want me to guide you more closely than that. Cheers !

Hi Moorlander.

As your OP seems to be referring to me, I feel some redress is in order.

First of all I always try to be helpful & I'm sorry if you took my advice the wrong way - I just thought any help would be better than none - and no one else had replied ! Your original question was so brief I answered it with the best suggestion I could make. Had you put " I have looked on the maps etc but would like some personal recomendations " I would have stayed silent, because, as I put in the last line " I don't use many CL's myself ".

The only reason I joined both forums is because I really enjoy caravanning & want to share what little knowledge I may have with other like minded folk.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Um, I have just looked at the thread, and I do just wonder if its six of one half dozen of another. Usually you get very helpful replies but perhaps the OP should have slightly expanded his question which was fairly short and sweet. If you don't mention what you have already looked at how are people to know how they should reply. When I read Lesbunny's post I thought that with the lack of information it was useful advice, I certainly didn't read it as having any form of unfriendliness in its tone. Perhaps you should have asked for personal recommendations. People tend to respond more positively to such requests.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I've had a lot of great help on this forum, though happy to admit we sometimes like a bit of a pub argument. tell you what really gets my goat though. A new member came on and asked will my car tow such and such. Got the sensible reply that more info was needed, model, weight of van etc. Silence. Then a week or so later the similar question only now it was "I have bought this is it all right?" Again they were asked for certain details, again no reply. Ten bob they'll be on the CC forum moaning that we wouldn't help them.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

The problem with asking for nice CL sites is that we want to keep them to ourselves, if we put the Cl site name on the forum we'll never be able to book them again (ask Janet).

By all means ask but add that pms would be gratefully accepted too ;)

There is a book out written by a caravanner which names all sites with a sea view

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I take part occasionally on the CC forum but it is a very tight unit and very opinionated and forthright !! If you disagree with anything you are "selfish" and called a troll !!

Been there, done that, got the teeshirt. :(

Did it have the CT logo on it that was seemed to be going on for ages !!

Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 SE Tech 2016 - Fuji White

Coachman Festival 640/6 - 2011

The CC forum is almost impossible to follow and they don't do anything to make it clearer!

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Ha, Ha, like it :D

I was replying SMax Johny but I agree with you too Jslocks

Edited by Highlandman

I take part occasionally on the CC forum but it is a very tight unit and very opinionated and forthright !! If you disagree with anything you are "selfish" and called a troll !!

Did it have the CT logo on it that was seemed to be going on for ages !!

The CC forum is sweetness and light compared with this one, I have 35 characters "ignored " on here who have called me a lot worse than that, one even came close to inciting others to physical threats (towards me). Just try describing any problems you may have had in dealings with the Caravan Club on here and see how they react.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

Sorry to hear that, David.

You can Report any post that seems to you to be threatening. That sort of post is not tolerated but we need it reported in case it goes by unnoticed by Admin or the Team

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I saw the thread in question and the replies. Those people who made those replies don't really represent the average caravanner member of the CC, please do not judge the CC by what you see in their forum.

The CC forum is, how can I say this politely, oh yes " a bag of bolts". There is a small minority who want it run as a social club for their own little group of friends. The others are tolerated, Just.------------------ Because of this many of the best contributers have either resigned or no longer post.

I agree with what you say Bessacarr425, but despite being a Caravan Club member for over twenty years my experience of "Club Together" left me with a rather jaundiced view of the Caravan Club. Any internet forum has problems from time to time with people posting extreme views and if you join a forum that is something you just have to accept. However although I had good discussions with a number of sensible people on Club Together I have to say that I found the forum to have more than its fair share of bigots. The moderators did their best to keep things under control but I had the feeling (rightly or wrongly) that they were not provided with the appropriate tools and nor were they given full support from Caravan Club HQ. In my opinion the management and administration of Club Together was at best naive and at worst downright incompetant. Of course all of the above was not helped by the fact that the software used by Club Together was a pile of manure.

Highlandman I have to agree with you about the lack of moderation, however this forum is not immune to bigotry you only need to read the thread about food banks to find it. In fact my experience has been that there is a lot more unpleasantness here but I have the worst offenders ignored now and that facility is not available on the CC forum.

David