Which Sealant?

I'm doing some work on the awning light and the sealant could do with being replaced.

As could the sealant around the grab handles and the catch that keeps the door open.

It's the standard white van colour I guess. What's best to use and any tips for a good/lasting finish?

Thanks.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

I use Soudal Fixall Classic for any sealing jobs. When I need a good edge to the sealant I use a Fugi tool and lots of kitchen roll to wipe the tool down as I go. Wipe off any slight marks with meths the following day.

I posted on the Fugi tool some while ago - you might be able to search the forum for it.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Have a look at the Screwfix catalogue, they have a large range of sealants, to get a good edges(s) use masking tape around the edges of the light

Beware of Sikaflex! I have used it for many years on my boat. Great sealant, but is also an adhesive. If you may need to remove the fitting in the future, don't use Sikaflex, I have seen fittings removed from GRP and and the gelcoat came off with the fitting.

soudal fixall all the time for a permanent fixture like an awaning rail. no special primers like sikaflex, and unlike sikaflexi will cure even with moisture present.

http://www. thegluepeople. co. uk/index. php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11&products_id=56

we have been using this now for 15yrs

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have a look at them all. The fixall looks good.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

I used soudal in the past and also more recently seamseal CV

Compass Shadow 1988

soudal fixall all the time for a permanent fixture like an awaning rail. no special primers like sikaflex, and unlike sikaflexi will cure even with moisture present.

http://www. thegluepeople. co. uk/index. php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11&products_id=56

we have been using this now for 15yrs

Hi Reads,

The fixall looks like good stuff. The only thing that concerns me is that i thought for 'vans a sealant that never fully cures was supposed to be used to prevent cracking?

Hi Reads,

The fixall looks like good stuff. The only thing that concerns me is that i thought for 'vans a sealant that never fully cures was supposed to be used to prevent cracking?

It does a good job holding my large solar panel on the roof. The flexible material does have a 'skin' that keeps out water.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

That's what the industry thought 20yrs ago when they used none drying mastic. The problem was it did dry out and sealant was only good for a couple of years. All the UK manufacturers use polymer adhesives now. We have used fixall for 15yrs and when it cures, because it is an adhesive rather than a sealant, it flexes with the caravan and does not split or crack. I wouldn't use anything else to seal rails or extrusions on a caravan.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Sika polyurethane products do actually need moisture to cure, that is the chemistry employed. until exposed to moisture they dont cure.

Fixall it is then.

Any tips? I intend to remove the likes of grab handles, scrape off old sealant, clean with meths and redo. Sound about right?

I removed windows and all off mine! :D I used tape mastic along the rails for the initial placing of them, had someone help whilst screwing them in (you'll need a new stock of screws as the old ones might be rusty if it's a sponge like mine was) then over the top with the sealant and gun.

Same with the window rails and grab handles. As long as the wood's sound at the back and there's something to screw into you'll be fine.

Compass Shadow 1988