Play On Top And Lower Ball Joint

nicoflinta

Guys, took my car to the garage today for a service and the told me there is play in the lower and top ball joints and they will need replacement soon. I told them I was going caravanning to Italy this year (July) and they said I should still go as they are still ok. Thoughts? I know some my say (and partly agree) to replace them before my holidays for added peace of mind, but they will be quite expensive :(

Thanks

Nicolas - Discovery 3 towing a Buccaneer Schooner

Kia Sedona 2. 2/Jeep Commander/Renault Grand Espace towing a Bailey Pageant S7 Limousin :P

Guys, took my car to the garage today for a service and the told me there is play in the lower and top ball joints and they will need replacement soon. I told them I was going caravanning to Italy this year (July) and they said I should still go as they are still ok. Thoughts? I know some my say (and partly agree) to replace them before my holidays for added peace of mind, but they will be quite expensive :(

Thanks

Surely the definition of soon. ........ doesn't mean July :blink:

For your safety and everyone else's I would have them replaced. Why also risk having a failure abroad. :o

If they are expensive, ask the repairer for their best price to replace them. ;)

Personally I'd get them done sooner rather than later. Worn ball joints will affect the handling and also create rapid tyre wear. On the other hand I'd think that the garage would be advising you to replace them if they thought the wear is excessive

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Towing a van puts a lot of strain on all component's of a car, you are going a long way, I would definately have them fixed, it would also be an MOT failure.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

That's the thing, car passed MOT in December and the Dealership (Jeep official) said there was some light play on one and play on the other. He didn't sound too worried and he said they would last long enough to go to Italy. So, one part of me thinks they are showing some early signs of wear and should be ok, but on the other hand I've seen some youtube videos of what could happen if they snap. I'm not going to be towing soon, but having an incident with the family is not something I'd like.

Nicolas - Discovery 3 towing a Buccaneer Schooner

Kia Sedona 2. 2/Jeep Commander/Renault Grand Espace towing a Bailey Pageant S7 Limousin :P

That's the thing, car passed MOT in December and the Dealership (Jeep official) said there was some light play on one and play on the other. He didn't sound too worried and he said they would last long enough to go to Italy. So, one part of me thinks they are showing some early signs of wear and should be ok, but on the other hand I've seen some youtube videos of what could happen if they snap. I'm not going to be towing soon, but having an incident with the family is not something I'd like.

Get a second opinion from another garage.

My Sprinter has had play in the lower ball joints for the last 5 years, it's not got any worse, it's still ok for MOTs etc

Sprinters are specifically mentioned by vosa as having a seemingly excessive amount of play in a balljoint, this is considered normal and acceptable.

The mot test for balljoints does allow for quite a lot of free play before a refusal, but from a service point basically usually there shouldn't be any and I would get it sorted soon, definitely before going abroad.

If you have been given a written advise the tester has cleared himself if anything happens. I would not hesitate to get them changed before going as if you encounter problems while abroad it will be more inconvenient to get sorted and probably more expensive.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

If it was mine I would get them changed before Italy.

Only gotta pay once.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

A cheaper option would be not use a main stealer but a independent garage charging a third of the price per hour for labour.

The parts are Mercedes and a saving can be made using comparable parts . They are the same parts as the Jeep Grand Cherokees 2005+ .

Commanders are known for front end knocks on the ball joints.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .