Thieves Out And About Again !

Stu2772

Received a phone call from storage facility today, the light fingered mob are out and about again in

Fife - Scotland it seems.

About 15 caravans were attacked on Saturday night in a small village just outside of Glenrothes, where all the battery doors were forced open and the leisure batteries were taken.

Fortunately my van was ok, but there were a number of vans which had the battery door catches forced or in some cases - doors broken off altogether and if fitted, leisure batteries removed.

Everybody in the surrounding areas, keep your wits about you, as they will steal anything with a small scrap value these days !

No forced entry, and they didn't go near the CCTV cameras.

Let's hope they don't return a couple of weeks later to get a new batch of fresh batteries.

Welcome Stu and thanks for that piece of news. Didn't know there was so much scrap value in batteries. You live and learn.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

No forced entry and they didn't go near CCTV? I would be taking my caravan elsewhere if it's not secure and doesn't have adequate CCTV coverage!

Caravanless. ...

Thanks for the info, were the batterys stolen in K. ........e, friend has van stored in that area

Yes it was K. ......e.

The guys on site phoned all the owners - to get them to check over the vans today, so you're friend is probably aware of any issues.

Really annoying for the owners of the vans - but I suppose it is just a matter of time wherever you are parked up, with the way things are nowadays. Nothing is safe unless it's bolted down and electrified.

They climbed a 7-8 foot fence topped with barbed wire from an adjacent field, and wearing gloves etc. so were determined to get in no matter what security is there.

You can have as many CCTV cameras as you want, but they just come in with hoods up, I design these systems and believe me if they are determined, nothing will stop them.

And all for a few hundred pounds in scrap value?

didnt they even cut the fence to get the battery's out, i am a fair sized bloke but i doubt i could throw a battery that size over an 8ft fence, if it was travelers then they might not of wanted to scrap them they would probably keep them for their own caravans.

but however stole them are theiving little twa-s, i have been broken into and £1800 of my tools for work knicked

phil

Well my mates garage get £10 per battery they scrap, so it's not worth much on it's own but in numbers it can soon add up.

I hope nothing was damaged too badly, as material possessions can be replaced, but it's a pain to get sorted and you feel like you've been targetted personally.

Don't worry the Police will catch them . :ph34r:

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

If its just batteries they stole then they will have already got an outlet for them. There is no mention of entering the vans which is good . The scum will be miles away now

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Thanks for the info, mine's seasonal not too far from Glenrothes. I don't have a battery in my old scrapheap but wouldn't stop them trying I bet!

Compass Shadow 1988

£20 in Hull at recyclers for an old leisure battery I am told. ......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi,thers a bloke at our storage site who takes his battery out and only keeps the little door closed with bluetac.

Told us he had the little door broke open once before and the damage they caused was more than the battery was worth.

Most scrapppys up here will give you £10 for one no questions asked.

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

The 'pukka' recyclers only pay by cheque or bank transfer around here now, which cuts out the 'traveller' element. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The 'pukka' recyclers only pay by cheque or bank transfer around here now, which cuts out the '*****' element. ..

geoff

The law changed recently and scrap metal dealers now have to see photo ID and can no longer pay cash. They also have to be able to show where any metals they have have come from. It won't stop the unscrupulous ones ignoring the law

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

The law changed recently and scrap metal dealers now have to see photo ID and can no longer pay cash. They also have to be able to show where any metals they have have come from. It won't stop the unscrupulous ones ignoring the law

Where did you get that from. At our last annual scrap day last November we gave over about 25 batteries (£400 tonne) and around 1. 5t mixed metals and were only asked for vehicle reg and signature for the cash,.that was a main metal recycler not a back street jobbie

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Where did you get that from. At our last annual scrap day last November we gave over about 25 batteries (£400 tonne) and around 1. 5t mixed metals and were only asked for vehicle reg and signature for the cash,.that was a main metal recycler not a back street jobbie

I had to provide driving licence, which has address and photo, they also take reg number and they paid the credit to my bank card, if they are a legitimate scrap yard then they are breaking the law if they pay cash,

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

There are plenty of scrap yards that pay cash no questions asked in the Edinburgh area.

I am reliably informed by our car daft youth :D.

I don't think the "no cash" payments law has been implemented in Scotland as it has yet to be pushed through by the Scottish Parliament.

Edited by scotsstag

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)