Twin Axle Caravan

Mikaroony

How far can you go before the tag axle or one of the axles lifts off the ground?

Thanks

Visit my website - www. railadvent. co. uk

What exactly do you mean by this question?

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

When levelling out does any axle or wheels lift off the ground.

Had mine jockey'd very low at both front and back over the years with no sign of either axles (wheels) leaving the ground.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I tried to run mine up a levelling ramp once and it almost crushed the tyre, also, I think you will massively overload the suspension as the load needs to be spread over four wheels, I would not recommend it.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Thanks

Could you explain more please marks

With a TA the tyre pressures are lower, more like a car, instead of the 65psi I see on some single axle vans, when you try to shift the weight (mines 1800kg) onto one set of tyres, it just crushes the tyre as its taking for more weight than it should. Tipping the caravan up so far as to try to lift the van onto one axle is going to cause strain, if not damage to something, my best advice is to find a more level plot to stay on.

In addition, I don't think the van has enough adjustment in it to go anywhere near lifting an axle, I have had my hitch touching the ground and then 3 odd feet in the air, and the suspension just took it all and all four tyres were still firmly planted on the ground.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Thanks

Thanks

You need to be careful with a twin axle not to over stress the chassis front to back when levelling or you will see partitions moving away from the walls inside as well, although the wheels will look like they are all taking the load if you've winched it that high that the majority of the load is on the front or back set you may cause internal damage (and chassis damage you can't see)

Carry a couple of short lengths of wood with you to level side to side

Carry a couple of short lengths of wood with you to level side to side

I also use wood / ramps under the front or back wheel to help even the load on non level sites

Ap

As Said a Twin Axle is designed to share the load over both axles and putting all the weight on one axle would be twice the maximum weight on the Tyres and axle . You could cause damage inside the tyre that could lead to a blow out later or damage the rubber inside the axle tubes which is the suspension.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Does anyone recall the twin axle Lunar caravans some years ago where one axle could be lifted clear if the road using hydraulics. in order to make moving by hand easier? No mention then of stressing the tyres, twisting the chassis, or damaging the caravan interior!

Fore and aft levelling will almost certainly create an imbalance in the load taken by each axle, but I have never known this to come near to lifting an axle clear of the ground with any of the numerous twin axle caravans I have owned. As for side to side levelling, I have always used a single long ramp on one side to good effect, whether a single or twin axle outfit.

Remember we are talking about static loads here, and not the instantaneous, constantly changing loads that the suspension system is exposed to on the road.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.