Milenco Nose Weight Gauge!

murraymint

For years I have used a Pyramid nose weight guage to check the caravan before hitching up. Recently I acquired a smaller guage that fits on the towbar to check the nose weight and I noticed that there was a bit of a discrepancy between the readings of the two gauges. When I swapped the gauges over to recheck I noticed that both gauges gave different readings to the first when no changes were made to the caravan. This worried me- what's the use in checking the nose weight if the gauges aren't accurate.

Today I bought a Milenco guage which is advertised as meeting an appropriate British Standard, and I was shocked by the result. It showed that both my previous gauges over read by 25-40 kgs which is a massive error. So I checked the nose weight using the old method of a broom handle and bathroom scales - the result checked out against the Milenco guage.

I thought I would pass this on as the safety implications are obvious. I last towed with a '90kg' nose weight when in fact the weight was more like 50kgs - far to low for stable towing. So I suggest you check your nose weight guage if you have one, or buy a calibrated one or use a good bathroom scales.

I used to use a Pyramid type which is a spring in a telescopic tube and found if you took a reading bounced the caravan up and down it would give a different reading each time . I gave up and used the bathroom scales .

I now use a CWC which gives a more constant reading .

What ever you use you need to check it is at the towball height to get a correct reading more for a Twin axle .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

For years I have used a Pyramid nose weight guage to check the caravan before hitching up. Recently I acquired a smaller guage that fits on the towbar to check the nose weight and I noticed that there was a bit of a discrepancy between the readings of the two gauges. When I swapped the gauges over to recheck I noticed that both gauges gave different readings to the first when no changes were made to the caravan. This worried me- what's the use in checking the nose weight if the gauges aren't accurate.

Today I bought a Milenco guage which is advertised as meeting an appropriate British Standard, and I was shocked by the result. It showed that both my previous gauges over read by 25-40 kgs which is a massive error. So I checked the nose weight using the old method of a broom handle and bathroom scales - the result checked out against the Milenco guage.

I thought I would pass this on as the safety implications are obvious. I last towed with a '90kg' nose weight when in fact the weight was more like 50kgs - far to low for stable towing. So I suggest you check your nose weight guage if you have one, or buy a calibrated one or use a good bathroom scales.

I would rather have bathroom scales that read 20 lbs under.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

I use a Milenco nose weight gauge, I think milenco advertise the gauge as the only one that is calibrated to British Standards, is this correct?.... I also use a bathroom scale with cut off broom handle and the reading is not that far off the Milenco gauge.

I had a Pyramid gauge and the spare wheel had to live under one of the rear beds to reduce the noseweight for my old tug with an 85kg nose limit.

Having binned the Pyramid gauge and replaced it with a Milenco the wheel now lives in the gas locker where it's supposed to, along with two gas bottles and a load of other rubbish - still manage to get 90kg on the nose.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

I had a Pyramid gauge and the spare wheel had to live under one of the rear beds to reduce the noseweight for my old tug with an 85kg nose limit.

Having binned the Pyramid gauge and replaced it with a Milenco the wheel now lives in the gas locker where it's supposed to, along with two gas bottles and a load of other rubbish - still manage to get 90kg on the nose.

Interesting - your Pyramid gauge must have under read too!!

To try and get a 90kgs nose weight using my new Milenco gauge I decided to move my spare tyre which was still strapped underneath in the Alko cradle at the rear of the caravan. I've never had to remove a spare tyre before - but what a pain it was in my driveway, in daylight and in dry weather. I can't imagine how hard it must be to remove the tyre by a busy road in the dark when it's pouring down - what a stupid design by Alko. I'm trying to remove the carrier now as I'm not going to use it again but I can't quite see how to detach it from the chassis. Has anybody tried to do this?

I have also just replaced an old Pyramid guage with a Milenco calibrated one.

When I first weighed the nose on my new van the Pyramid went off the scale, when I weighed it again with the Milenco it was just under 80Kg.

Suspect I have been towing with less noseweight than I thought for a while . .. fortunately there have been no ill effects!

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

I have had two of the Milenco units as I left one on a wall at a campsite and then drove away :( They are very good and I find it essential to an easy stress free towing experience.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I do find it interesting that many people can be sceptical about the accuracy of their noseweight gauge, but place great faith in their bathroom scales.

I have a milenco gauge.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

To try and get a 90kgs nose weight using my new Milenco gauge I decided to move my spare tyre which was still strapped underneath in the Alko cradle at the rear of the caravan. I've never had to remove a spare tyre before - but what a pain it was in my driveway, in daylight and in dry weather. I can't imagine how hard it must be to remove the tyre by a busy road in the dark when it's pouring down - what a stupid design by Alko. I'm trying to remove the carrier now as I'm not going to use it again but I can't quite see how to detach it from the chassis. Has anybody tried to do this?

The tubes are held on the "offside" by two large splitpins. Straighten these with pliers, then pull them out. You can then remove the plastic bungs that fit round the tubes, then pull/push the tubes towards the nearside till the whole lot falls on the deck. (If fitted Continental side, the bunged ends are on the nearside, of course!)

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

On site on Sunday I watched the couple opposite prior to departing, check the nose weight of their caravan. Remarked to them that they were the first people other than ourselves who I had seen checking nose weight! We use a Milenco gauge as they did!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

My Pyramid over stated the noseweight - I guess because the interior spring was tired, or of poor quality.

Land Rover is now back towing.

I wouldn't rely on our bathroom scales . ... they definitely read over!

We use a milenco gauge too and we check the nose weight before we leave a site. You can never be too careful.

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

The tubes are held on the "offside" by two large splitpins. Straighten these with pliers, then pull them out. You can then remove the plastic bungs that fit round the tubes, then pull/push the tubes towards the nearside till the whole lot falls on the deck. (If fitted Continental side, the bunged ends are on the nearside, of course!)

Thank you - weather permitting I will try and remove the carrier tomorrow - it doesn't sound too difficult.

Thank you - weather permitting I will try and remove the carrier tomorrow - it doesn't sound too difficult.

I think you're being optimistic!!!! Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

I do find it interesting that many people can be sceptical about the accuracy of their noseweight gauge, but place great faith in their bathroom scales.

I have a milenco gauge.

Having two 56lb cast iron certified weights I know my bathroom scales are accurate. ...... at 56 and 112 lbs!

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

My various noseweight gauges are variably inaccurate.

I have a Milenco gauge, which I found on a wall at a campsite, I think somebody put it there and then just drove away. :D

Kidding, Ive got an older pyramid. I do know its close at 56lbs ( 25kg) as I used the exact same device as beejay, Now Im wondering how linear it is and how far off I am at 75kg.

Hi we've been using the Milenco gauge since it came on the market and have been pleased.

We needed a fairly accurate guide when we bought our Pegasus and found rather heavy nose weights ensued.

Have to ask why people regard bathroom scales the height of accuracy without testing them against a datum as Senior Member seems to have done.

They always seem to be weighing over when I get on them.

Best regards to all.