Barriers Being Removed From Dartford Crossing.

Woodie106

Hi all,

For those of you travelling south later in the year, you might like to be forewarned about a change to how you need to pay to use the Dartford tunnel & bridge.

The tolls are being removed, as you might have guessed from the title of the thread, to improve traffic flow using the crossings, meaning you will have to pay for your crossing use either at a paypoint shop, or on-line. If you fail to pay within the allotted time frame of you journey - that day or the next - you will receive a penalty notice i believe they said was £75 per trip, reduced to half if paid within 7 days.

This comes in to effect from October I believe. Of course, in line with government driver bashing policy, there's also going to be an increase in toll charge from the current £1. 50 to £2.

I'm sure there will be notices on the approaches, but knowing that forewarned is forearmed, hopefully if i post this now, then a few on here who may not have read or seen anything about this will avoid any penalties.

Woodie.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodpost:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I assume that the Toll collection booths are being removed ? If tolls were being removed the crossing would be toll free. :rolleyes:

It is already £2 and has been for a little while now. I read somewhere that when they remove the tolls the increase will be at £2. 50 but we will have to wait and see.

yes - you're correct - my mistake. Its £2 now & will increase to £2. 50

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

So, managed like the London congestion charge then.

They would do better to do it like the Severn Crossing, tolls in one direction only @ twice the price.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

So all the foreign HGVs will just not pay!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

. .. you will have to pay for your crossing use either at a paypoint shop, or on-line. If you fail to pay within the allotted time frame of you journey - that day or the next - you will receive a penalty notice i believe they said was £75 per trip, reduced to half if paid within 7 days.

. ..

Thanks for the information.

Edit for accuracy

Edited by hawkaye

hawkaye :beardy:

Thanks for this. I guess we'll have to do it on-line before we travel as we don't take 'the internet' with us.

What's a 'paypoint shop' ?

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

On the whole it's welcome, should speed things up. A 25% increase is a disgrace, totally unjustifiable. good old rip off Britain

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I guess that means quite a few toll booth operators and support staff lose their jobs as a consequence?

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

I guess that means quite a few toll booth operators and support staff lose their jobs as a consequence?

David

was just having the same conversation with a mate at work. they got rid of the toll booth night workers a few years ago when they made it 'free' from 10pm to 6am. Its not just the booth operators as you say, there must be a few people who count all that cash every day, then a few more who transport it to a bank or wherever it goes, they're all out of work as well.

Also learnt yesterday that if you live in the Dartford or Thurrock areas you can pay £20 up front & that gives you as many journeys as you care to make in that year, so anything over 4 trips there & back & your quids in.

So if you are planning to drive to Dover and get on a ferry, you now have to stop off somewhere, find somewhere to park up and find a newsagent to pay which will probably add half an hour to your journey.

Ah, apparently you will be able to pay by text or phone too. You can also pay in advance of your journey.

The fine for not paying the toll by midnight of the day after the crossing is £70, discounted to £35 if paid within 14 days, and increased to £105 if not paid within 28 days.

If you open an account and keep it topped up you get a third off the toll.

On the plus side, the bridge & tunnels are not motorway, it's the A2828 and you will still be able to be transported with your bicycle for free.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

http://www. paypoint. co. uk

Most corner shops/ newsagents seem to have the facility.

Brian

Ah ! Cheers ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

was just having the same conversation with a mate at work. they got rid of the toll booth night workers a few years ago when they made it 'free' from 10pm to 6am. Its not just the booth operators as you say, there must be a few people who count all that cash every day, then a few more who transport it to a bank or wherever it goes, they're all out of work as well.

Also learnt yesterday that if you live in the Dartford or Thurrock areas you can pay £20 up front & that gives you as many journeys as you care to make in that year, so anything over 4 trips there & back & your quids in.

Or currently pay £10 and get 50 crossings free. That's quite enough for me.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

how will the 'free crossing' concession to those on DLA blue badge scheme go on?

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Apparently they toll is there to stop too many people using the crossing. It was thought that if it was free it would always be completely jammed up. Also by law, all money raised from tolls has to be spent on maintaining and improving the crossing.

If the jams get so bad that they start to block the junctions back down the road, one way they use to clear them is to make the crossing free until the jams clear.

how will the 'free crossing' concession to those on DLA blue badge scheme go on?

I would have thought it would carry on as usual, by registering your vehicle.

Details here

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink: