How Many Wires In A 12S Grey Cable?

Disco Kid

Planning to re-jig my wiring so that my solar panel hooks into the 12S (Grey) plug . ....

discovered that there are only 5 wires in my Grey cable . . 2007 Coachman Laser

Red . .. Fridge

Black . .. Fridge earth return

Green . .. Permanent live from car battery

White . .. Earth for Green

Yellow . .. Reversing light

Convention says there should be also

Blue . .. Battery charging . . Earth common on White

Brown . .. Reversing sensor or spare

They should also be varying sizes according to load . . mine appear to be all the same.

I have had no problems, so the arrangement is coping OK and putting a 'Standard' cable in would be a bit

Any thoughts?

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

What you have is correct. You do not need the blue battery charging wire as since 1998 battery charging is done from the green permanent live.

See this

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/towbar_electrics. shtml

The red, black, green and white should be 2. 5mm2 wires along with the white earth on the 12N socket. The remainder should be 1. 5mm2.

Brian

Have they also abandoned the automatic switch over that when the car is connected, the van takes it's 12v supply from the car?

Have they also abandoned the automatic switch over that when the car is connected, the van takes it's 12v supply from the car?

No. When plugged in and the engine off, power should be coming from the car battery. This is controlled by a relay in the caravan.

Brian

No. When plugged in and the engine off, power should be coming from the car battery. This is controlled by a relay in the caravan.

Brian

Yup, found that out, so continue with my original plan . .

feed the 12v from my solar panel on the permanent 12v pin via N/C contacts of a new relay to the SP regulator & then to the battery direct . Relay driven from the 12v ignition controlled line and feed the 12v permanent via the N/O into the normal van circuit when towing.

Thanks for the gen . .

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Would it not be simpler to connect your solar panel on the battery side of any relays.

Brian

I take it as a portable solar planel and the OP just want to set it up and plug it in or it would be easier to connect direct to the battery .

Might be easier to just put a small 12v 2 pin socket and plug in a locker than try and run new wires from the caravan grey plug.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Didn't want to start drilling holes and running wires all over the place, and feeding wires via locker doors without cable access recess.

As it will be, just get out the panel, plug the 'S' lead into it and job done. Not going to actually alter any wiring . . split the harness at a junction block and put in a new section. .. not a major job.