Invalidated Warranty On 2010 Pegasus 462

Prevail

We bought our first caravan, a 2 year old 462, privately from a couple last year. The wife of the seller was dying. They had bought the van when it was a year old and nearly due for its first service.

Immediately after buying it they discovered that she had cancer. They forgot to get the van serviced presumably as a result of the distress experienced.

They used it once then it got stored under cover until we bought it a year later.

We immediately had a full service done (only fault was a seized water pump which was replaced).Absolutely no damp or water ingress. At this point the van was exactly 2 years old but missing the first service for reasons as above.

I wrote to Baileys asking them if they would consider honouring the warranty despite the missing first year service. In particular I was concerned to have the Alu-Tech covered. I thought they might be prepared to do this given that they guarantee the bodywork for 7 years and had been offering an extra 3 years on top of this.

Their answer was no they wouldn't "as they had to be fair to everyone", I think I know what they mean by that but have to say that I find their decision hard nosed and just a tad mealy mouthed.

Now clearly I will have to rely on SOGA and County Courts if the van does develop major issues with the bodywork but am keeping fingers crossed it never comes to such a thing.

I write this as a cautionary warning to people buying privately and as a lesson about how Baileys at least will use any failure to have annual servicing completed on time to wriggle out of any warranty obligations.

We like the 462 well enough but when the time comes to swap we won't be buying another Bailey as I am totally unimpressed with their attitude to customer care and lack of any goodwill.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That does seem to be a bit hard-nosed as you say and it does rather surprise me since I've always found Bailey's customer service to be second to none. However, given the times that we're living in, I doubt if the response from other manufacturers would be very different from Bailey's.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

I hate to say this, but it was a private purchase so I cannot see how the SOGA comes into it.

Also until you feel you need to claim, you can do nothing.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I have very personal experience of cancer in the family and know the last thing on anyone's mind is getting the caravan serviced on time - what a disgusting stance from Bailey! "Fair to everyone" - don't make me laugh - life ain't fair as the poor people who bought the caravan originally found out but Bailey got their money so why should they care :angry:

Have to agree Highlandman - response of other manufacturers would probably be the same from what I've experienced. What a sad world we live in when profit trumps compassion :(

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I wonder what Bailey's stance on lost service books / documents would be? Presumably the same if no proof of previous services existed.

But there is nothing wrong with prevail. There is nothing wrong with the product. He bought a caravan that he knew had an invalid warranty and now he is bleating that the manufacturer, whose product is completely satisfactory, has failed him in some way? The argument about the poor lady's cancer is entirely irrelevant. It may be invidious to ask if prevail negotiated a discount off the van for the loss of the warranty but - did he?

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Already mentioned above, the SOGA will not come into play against the supplying dealer or Bailey Caravans.

I can understand Bailey's take on this but you would think that if the caravan was passed as good and dry and they had a policy of paying for missed services or a percentage of them, they could re-instate the manufactures warranty. This would keep it fair to other owners who don't miss a service by the "Back Payment" (Just a thought)

The only other way to move on from this is to purchase a private warranty / guarantee.

If the lack of warranty is a problem to the OP then he should have asked Bailey about their position before parting with his hard earned.

If he bought it without knowing about the service continuity requirement wrt warranty. .. then that is unfortunate and a lesson in life.

But at the end of the day the problem is not Bailey's. ....... though I agree if their stance as described it is a bit hard nosed.

But hell they are in business to make money. .. why would they want to take the risk that an "event" had happened to the caravan prior to the OP's purchase?

G.

P. S. Forgot to say. .. my experience of Bailey Customer Service was as posted above. ... very good!

Edited by chapmag

Whilst we have no reason to doubt the truth, if Bailey considered this then they would have to accept everybody's tale about a missed service and I would suggest there may be quite a few. I am afraid there is no way out here. Let's hope nothing goes wrong.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

The lesson here is not to buy private unless you have proof of a service history if warranty is such an important issue for you. Also SOGA would be a difficult road to go down because your goods were not bought from a dealer or from Bailey, but privately.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Plus the other thing to bear in mind, if Bailey honoured every warranty, which they didn't need to, with every sob story they heard, what do you think it would do to the price of their caravans. And yes Bailey, like the other manufacturers will not honour warranty if the service cannot be proven or is lost. This I know from experience when Discover Leisure went.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

So why are caravans different to cars? If I buy a car privately I dont have to contact the manufacturer to transfer the warranty, nor do I have to have it serviced at one of their dealers. Even if a service is missed they would still legally have to honour the warranty as long as the missed service wasn't a contributory factor eg radios gone kaput.

So please someone tell me why do the caravan manufacturers feel they need special treatment and Bailey are quite right, they should be fair to all and trade within the law.

Ap

Even if a service is missed, I don't understand why the new owner can't have the caravan serviced, with a full damp check, if all is ok there is no problem and the warranty can be transferred.

The problem should only arise if during the later service, items are identified that would have been picked up and rectified at the time of the scheduled service, if the cost of rectification is paid for by the new owner, again the manufacturer is not out of pocket, the caravan is put back in the condition it would have been had the scheduled service taken place.

I don't know if it is still the case but one manufacturer will not allow a warranty to be transferred, it ends after the original purchaser sells the caravan.

To me it is no different to a caravan sitting on a dealers forecourt for 6 months, during which the caravan misses a service date, once the caravan is sold a service is done, the service is logged on the manufacturers system and the warranty can then be transferred to the new owner.

(This is what happened to us, we saw the caravan at a dealers mid December, the caravan was 2 years old in the January, we bought the caravan in February for delivery in April, so the January scheduled service was missed. It was serviced in April prior to delivery, the dealer updated the service record online with Swift and we were able to benefit from the remainder of the manufacturers warranty).

Sorry to be Sidney Cynical but the caravan manufacturers seem to look for any excuse to shy away from their responsibilities, whether it is a missed servicing schedule, a cracked end panel or a crease in the external side panel.

To me it is no different to a caravan sitting on a dealers forecourt for 6 months, during which the caravan misses a service date, once the caravan is sold a service is done, the service is logged on the manufacturers system and the warranty can then be transferred to the new owner.

Massive difference to me! If it's on a forecourt, it is a tad unlikely that the van will have been subjected in that 6 months to hard graft in the Aussie Outback with 2 x 20 stone occupants. Preventative Maintenance!

Sam :beardy:

News to me you can miss a car service and it is still covered under a warranty. All my new vehicle state in the T&C that the vehicle is serviced to maintain the warranty.

As said you have no rights buying private

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Massive difference to me! If it's on a forecourt, it is a tad unlikely that the van will have been subjected in that 6 months to hard graft in the Aussie Outback with 2 x 20 stone occupants. Preventative Maintenance!

Where's the Aussie Outback come from the guy lives in Gloucestershire

A caravan manufacturer's warranty is an add-on which is subject to the manufacturer's T&Cs.

In my experience, provided that the buyer conforms to the their side of the conditions, the manufacturer's warranty can work very well for both buyer and dealer.

I bought a pre-owned caravan and had the manufacturer's warranty transferred to my name. After the first year in my ownership during a service, damp was detected at the rear of the caravan the cause of which was identified as cracks in the rear panel. Under SoGA and without a manufacturer's warranty I probably had a good case for renewal of the panel at the dealer's expense on the grounds that it was reasonable to expect the 'van should have been more durable. Had I taken that route I have no doubt that the dealer may have resisted my claim, may have expected me to make a contribution to the repair or I would have had to take the matter to County Court. In the event, when I collected the caravan after service the dealer had already set in motion a warranty claim and I was able to have the repair carried out at my convenience about a year later after the next annual service.

Understandably, manufacturers will stick very strictly to the T&Cs of their warranty terms and buyers who do not adhere to the terms will feel aggrieved and frustrated when something goes wrong. For the manufacturers it seem to be a numbers game. Only the manufacturers have any idea how many buyers who, for one reason or another, fail to comply with the T&Cs.

In my opinion it is highly likely that many of the significant issues which arise in both new and pre-owned caravans bought from dealers could be settled by proper use by the buyer of the SoGA or if purchased on a finance agreement by reference to the finance company, in the absence of a valid manufacturer's warranty.

The main difficulty frustrating buyers is that there is no template or one size fits all solution available. Each case has to be taken on its merits and it is up to the buyer to take the appropriate advice and action.

However, unfortunately for the OP, neither the SoGA or the manufacturer's warranty are available if issues arise with caravan. On the other hand, the OP does not appear to have any issues his caravan.

So why are caravans different to cars? If I buy a car privately I dont have to contact the manufacturer to transfer the warranty, nor do I have to have it serviced at one of their dealers. Even if a service is missed they would still legally have to honour the warranty as long as the missed service wasn't a contributory factor eg radios gone kaput.

So please someone tell me why do the caravan manufacturers feel they need special treatment and Bailey are quite right, they should be fair to all and trade within the law.

Ap

My Volvo has to be serviced by an approved Volvo dealership annually or every 18000miles. Otherwise warranty not validated.

Volvo genuine spare parts have to be used and only a Volvo dealer can update the software.

A friend of mine lost his waranty when he had his first service done by a mobile chap who said he was approved, Ray later had charger problems but wasn't covered as the mobile chap wasn't NCC approved, when questioned he said that he'd applied for it :blink:

. .......................................................................................................

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

My Volvo has to be serviced by an approved Volvo dealership annually or every 18000miles. Otherwise warranty not validated.

Volvo genuine spare parts have to be used and only a Volvo dealer can update the software.

AIUI that may now be out of date. HMG (or was it the EU?) changed the rules a couple of years ago to stop vehicle manufacturers imposing such restrictions on owners - all it has to be now is a competent repairer, so you can use Halfords or whoever. They also stopped the requirement for a dealer to have to do warranty repairs - that can also be done by any suitable organisation.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Look on the bright side - You can now do what you want to the caravan without fear of invalidating the warranty.

Do all servicing yourself, put the money you've saved away and in the unlikely event that a warranty type fault occurs use that to get it fixed.

As it is 2 years old, there would have only been another 4 years warranty left, if it still had one. After that you would be no worse off.

Most Bailey owners that have had major warranty claims, seem to have had problems with water ingress, which is mostly cured with sealant, duct tape and a tweak of the bolts on the fixings. Nothing that a competent DIYer couldn't cope with.

It's just a box on wheels - nothing complex.

Enjoy your van and stop worrying about what might happen, because it probably won't!

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Warranties are immaterial and not worth the paper they are written on as we have SOGA which overrides any warranty. If you are the first owner of the caravan and did not have it serviced and something went wrong 2 years later, a dealer would have a very hard time refusing the repair and if taken to court, may lose and have to pay anyway.

However in this case as it was bought privately, I understand and have to unfortunately agree with the stance that Bailey have taken.

Where's the Aussie Outback come from the guy lives in Gloucestershire

Gloucester, a town in dairy and beef cattle country, is located in Gloucester Shire, within the Manning district on the Mid North Coast of the state of New South Wales, Australia

Gotcha! ;)

Sam :beardy:

At the end of 2012 my mother became ill and unfortunately passed away just after Christmas.

This resulted in our Peg going for it's third service a month late.

Our dealers informed us that as we would be a month late with the third service our warranty would possibly be cancelled.

We contacted Bailey and explained and they immediately replied and told us we were fine

We also had a slight paint problem on the side of our Peg 524 from new.

Unfortunately after failing to record it in the caravans service history our dealers again told us it was probably out of warranty now.

Bailey, again came up trumps, so we can only say we personally have found the service off Bailey to be excellent and cannot fault them at all.