Rain Leaking On To Battery

BARWISE1

I had a mover fitted last April and installed a 100amp leisure battery, which, with the extra leads, just keeps the compartment door from seating properly. I kept my eye on it all season and didn't see any problem, but, this week, when I checked it in storage, the tray had liquid in the bottom, which when I tasted it was acidic. So, I assume that the recent heavy rain has entered the compartment and dripped onto the battery and overflowed it. I am planning to make a lid for the battery to cover it, but wonder if anyone has a better idea to keep the water from ingressing.

Check that the battery isn't overcharging or leaking,my neighbour had similar and the acid burnt a hole in the battery compartment!

knarf

You dont say what van you have - we had a similar issue with our Valencia Unicorn - after the motor mover was fitted the door didnt fit properly - this was down to the service agent . I removed and refitted the battery and all was well, will the extra cabling tidied up . Door fits fine now .

Hope this helps

Landcruiser + Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Hi guys/gals.

i recommend you have the battery tested. This issue as nothing to do with the weather however it is a clear sign of battery deteration

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I removed the battery and tray last Sunday and the problem was not as bad as I assumed. The liquid was on the bottom 'ledge' of the battery and there wasn't much underneath. The battery is brand new (last April) and hasn't been charged for some months, but I'll keep my eye on it. I'm going to trim the excess cables down and tidy it all up, so that the door fits tight.

Thanks again