Towing With A Fiamma Caravanstore On Van

Rocketman99

How stable would my outfit be if I towed with. Fiamma awning on the van. We are always told to store heavier items low down added to which I have an Oyster dish on the same side on the roof. My outfit is a Landrover Discovery 2 and a Buccaneer Clipper

When we got our Fiamma we were advised against leaving it on when travelling as there may be damage caused to the sealing under the awning rail. Others may disagree - it's just the advice we received. It only takes a short time to thread it into the awning rail anyway.

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Have towed mine with Caravanstore fitted for last 2 years no damage to any awning rails or bodywork as there are foam pads underneath awning.

Was advised against removing and refitting as there are locking pegs to hold it in place also at 3m long how would you get it through the door.

Towing with it fitted was no different as the weight is not an issue.

Towed mine for years without problem, just replaced the end pads so they didn't rub. .......in fact if we had to take off the darn thing week after week we would have packed it in. ..........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

As others have said, we have towed thousands of miles in uk and Europe over last 6 years with the caravanstore in place. .no problems.

Provided you use the supplied pads (even get some extras) to 'lift' the case off the caravan side there is no rubbing or marking.

In fact the package doesn't move (well mine didnt when a badly tilted wing mirror gave me a full view of it while towing).

Although the weight sits high, it's not that heavy (5-12kg ? dependant on size) and is distributed either side of the axle.

One reassuring point for me, was asking the supplier of my caravan if it was 'safe' to hang this off the awning rail when towing. They confirmed it was perfectly safe to do, wouldn't affect warranty and the stress was far less than any awning imparts on the rail in windy conditions on site.

Edited by ericfield

Mine's been fine for the last year or two. One end of it rests on the caravan, one end on the awning light.

hawkaye :beardy:

If it going to cause structural damage or instability Fiamma would've put a big disclaimer on the packaging/advertising because some bright spark would sue them. So I suspect there's very little risk.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Ours has been on for 8 years and perhaps 15,000 miles or so with no problems whatsoever.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Caravan2008001.jpg

I have towed fot 15+ years witha few different caravans and the only time the Caravanstore is removed is when its swapped onto the offside to allow use of the full or porch awning on the door side

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

[

Thanks for everyone's help with this I think we'll put it on and go for it. Particularly liked the idea of moving it to the other side when using a porch - never thought of that one so thanks again.