Hello From Argyll

Hi Folks, New to Caravan Talk, but not to caravanning.

We have had caravans, trailer tents, campervans and a folding camper, but we are now back to a caravan with a 1997 Bailey 4 berth that we hauled out of a storage yard at the end of last summer, where I think it has probably lain for about 6 years. I say that because of the amount of green stuff we had to scrape off it to see out the windows.

Anyways, we had it checked out by a service engineer and he replaced the damper as that was all that was seriously wrong with it.

We towed it home (70 miles) with our new Dacia Duster and it towed like a dream.

I have my own workshop and the van is in there being tarted up for the Spring. I will fit new tyres, a new battery and a motor mover as well as re-arrange the bedding more to our requirements.

Looking forward to sharing with you all.

Lobey.

Hello Lobey & welcome to caravantalk

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi Lobey,

Welcome to the most active caravan forum going ! Green stuff- a bucket of warm soapy water with some household bleach in it will kill the algae off, mind it makes a mess but it washes off.

regards david

​P. S. the "mix " will get in all the nooks & crannies use a brush to clear.

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Thanks Paul B.

Thanks 5 star.

The Green Stuff is off and although the panels are still a bit dull, that job is in hand.

I had a "wee accident" at the beginning of Jan and wrecked my leg, so all caravan work is on hold until that mends.

On the downside the list of "to do's" is getting longer as the months to do them get shorter.

The main thing is that all the jobs are of the time and effort with nothing that I can see that require any brains. Just as well.

Thanks Paul B.

Thanks 5 star.

The Green Stuff is off and although the panels are still a bit dull, that job is in hand.

I had a "wee accident" at the beginning of Jan and wrecked my leg, so all caravan work is on hold until that mends.

On the downside the list of "to do's" is getting longer as the months to do them get shorter.

The main thing is that all the jobs are of the time and effort with nothing that I can see that require any brains. Just as well.

Hi,-- you supply the questions ( no such thing as a daft question on here ) Caravan talk supply the answers !

Welcome, You must be the one who had the wee but lovely Sprintaway Lux?

Yes JTQ, I is your man.

I tried to post a pic of it but I canny figure out how to do that.

Hi Grumpy Old Smeesh, I am on the Rosneath Peninsula that is sandwiched between the Gareloch and Loch Long.

Yes JTQ, I is your man.

I tried to post a pic of it but I canny figure out how to do that.

Hi Grumpy Old Smeesh, I am on the Rosneath Peninsula that is sandwiched between the Gareloch and Loch Long.

Very Nice . ...... Sure I have delivered to the local Coopy in my CO-OP Driving days. . Lovely area. ... Used to fish in Loch Long "when a was a lad ",.........

GAS . .... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Thanks GAS.

I can see the old school that is next to the Coopy from our front window.

Not so many fish in Loch Long these days. Over fishing by the trawlers.

Rosneath is the village on the left hand Point.

A typically Scottish slum clearance area!!!!

rhuwallpaper1_zps043acc1a.jpg

Not so many fish in Loch Long these days. Over fishing by the trawlers.

Aye, a remember it weel. Boat wis kept at Blairvadach (shown in yir photie).

Rod anglers stertit ti howk out of 40+ pun cod an' days later the boats wir in dredgin it clean along wi the rest o' the Clyde. The Daily Record Fish o' the Week's goat a lot tae ansir fur!

Very Nice . ...... Sure I have delivered to the local Coopy in my CO-OP Driving days. . Lovely area. ... Used to fish in Loch Long "when a was a lad ",.........

GAS . .... :angry:

WAs the loch there in those days? :D

Edited by david 1220

WAs the loch there in those days? :D

Used to fish off the pier at Arrochar mid sixties and now and again when auld Papa Smeesh had some spare cash would hire a boat . ..... Got friendly with the Boatman sometimes going ashore and helping him tie up the boats. Great adventure for a six yera auld. .. Poor soul drowned in the loch a year later. ...... :( Mind the Mackerel jumping out of the water and into the boat . .. Yi could have put an auld slipper on yer hook and caught three at once . ... Just manic. ... Pier is no even there now never mind the fish. .. Nasty wee road to Rosneath in a six wheeled Scanny. ....... Aye Davie lad . .. those where the days . .. :lol: . ...

GAS . ...... :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Used to fish off the pier at Arrochar mid sixties and now and again when auld Papa Smeesh had some spare cash would hire a boat . ..... Got friendly with the Boatman sometimes going ashore and helping him tie up the boats. Great adventure for a six yera auld. .. Poor soul drowned in the loch a year later. ...... :( Mind the Mackerel jumping out of the water and into the boat . .. Yi could have put an auld slipper on yer hook and caught three at once . ... Just manic. ... Pier is no even there now never mind the fish. .. Nasty wee road to Rosneath in a six wheeled Scanny. ....... Aye Davie lad . .. those where the days . .. :lol: . ...

GAS . ...... :angry:

Hi,

Was in that neck of the woods some time back --- asked for local caught fish/ kippers ( can not beat a good kipper ) look of- well- sorrow on shopkeepers face --- no fishing here these days was the reply.

david

Welcome to the forum Lobeydosser. Argyll is a lovely part of Scotland.

My first experience of caravanning in that area was with my parents in an old Eccles towed by my father's 1949 Vauxhall Velux - two and a quarter litre petrol engine that produced about 45 bhp and a three speed gearbox with the stick on the steering column. We stayed on the Forestry Commission site at Arrochar. At one time there were three caravan sites at Arrochar but now there's only one. I loved the Camping & Caravanning Club site at Ardgartan and I was really disappointed when it was closed down a couple of years ago to make way for a hotel that has still not been built as far as I know.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

As far as I know there are still 3 sites at Artgartan. One entrance but it is still 3 once you get in there. We have never used it as it is too close to home.

Few fishermen to be seen in Arrochar these days, it's mostly climbers going up the Cobbler and there are hundreds of them. Canny get a parking space anywhere.

The local roads have not improved any since the 60's, but there is a new road been built from Coulport to Garelochhead and so we don't live on a dead end road anymore.

The C&CC site closed in 2010 or 2011 and the Caravan Club site closed many years ago. I thought that the Forest Enterprises site was still open but it does not appear on the C&CC website or any of the other searches that I've done. As far as I know the only caravan site at Arrochar now is the privately run Glen Loin Camp Site in Arrochar itself.

Edited by Highlandman

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

You are probably quite correct. Living just 40 minutes away, we are invariably on our way to somewhere else when we go through Arrochar and really don't pay any attention to it.

The C&CC site closed in 2010 or 2011 and the Caravan Club site closed many years ago. I thought that the Forest Enterprises site was still open but it does not appear on the C&CC website or any of the other searches that I've done. As far as I know the only caravan site at Arrochar now is the privately run Glen Loin Camp Site in Arrochar itself.

Stayed on Glen Loin one fair Weekend not realising the Statics were holding Families from Hell waiting to be re=housed. ... Two gents thought it would be a good idea to take there music center outside and blast Crockets Theme at 0430 am. Was a long time ago but noticed recently they still have statics. .....

GAS . ..... :(

Our local caravan park at Rosneath closed to tourers about 4 or 5 years ago and is now all statics and park homes.

This suits us because, as we live in a "dry area", the Bistro on the site has become our local eating and watering hole which keeps the drunks out of the village while still giving us somewhere close by to go for a lunch or an evening out.

I can even Vape in the Bistro while all the smokers are outside in the rain! :P

I'm afraid the van is "on hold" at the moment.

I have replacement knees and I had a bad fall at the beginning of Jan and rather damaged one of them.

Two weeks in bed before I was able to get to the hospital for x-rays.

Nothing damaged bone or joint wise, but I have stretched all the ligaments from my thigh to my toes, so I'm in "hobbling mode" and taking life very easy.

I know what needs done van wise and I am still hoping that it will be ready for the Spring, when we are planning a few 4 day jaunts around Scotland as shake down trips before a 3 or 4 week trip to Wales.

So I at least have a List of jobs to be done but apart from looking at the List, nothing else is happening at the moment!!! :(