Not So Fond Farewell

Goingsolo

I have finally given up with my 2013 Elddis Avante 462 (solid construction). After 16 months I have no faith in it anymore and have traded it for something older made by Swift. Three cracked gas bottle locker windows is one too many (can't bring myself to call it a door because it's not a door). The replacement kitchen sink hasn't gone rusty yet like the last one but it's a shame the Elddis service agent fitted the plug hole slightly screw-whiff as it catches the eye.

I appreciate no manufacturer can promise that each and every van will be 100% right. I wasn't expecting the earth when I got in touch with my dealer initially (none of the issues were of their making) or when I contacted Elddis in desperation after 9 weeks with no pumped water last March, but I would have liked some action, a little sympathy with my predicament, a plan put in place to resolve the issues and compensation for the time, and money I lost and stress I suffered during the whole of summer 2013.

Their customer service department saw me as nuisance and made some less than appropriate comments during our phone calls, for example when I said I was going to write to their MD I was told that all letters of complaint were intercepted and sent to them - he never saw them.

I wish everyone with a recently manufactured Elddis or Buccaneer many years of happy and safe caravanning. Maybe I was just the unlucky one.

Well I won't be buying one. My lovely wife really likes the Supercyclone but I've had to put foot down and say sorry, no. Not because of problems, all makes have them, but because the messages coming across loud and clear is that Elddis don't seem to care. I'm convinced they see this forum, it's surprising they don't take some positive action.

Plenty of other vans to choose from, would have been nice to support a local firm but hey ho. ....

Edited by henrypartridge

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Sorry to read this Goingsolo - hope your Swift goes well and you can relax and enjoy caravanning once again - that's what we all want after all :(

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I'm also very sorry to read this and the monetary loss in the changing the caravan. I thought that Elddis would have arranged for your caravan to be collected for repairs, given your special circumstances.

Lets hope Red Rob of Elddis is glowing red with embarrassment, if he isn't, he definitely needs to be.

Hope your new caravan serves you well and at least your now rid of the hassle and stress of the Elddis.

All the very best in the new season.

:goodpost:

I'm also very sorry to read this and the monetary loss in the changing the caravan. I thought that Elddis would have arranged for your caravan to be collected for repairs, given your special circumstances.

Lets hope Red Rob of Elddis is glowing red with embarrassment, if he isn't, he definitely needs to be.

Hope your new caravan serves you well and at least your now rid of the hassle and stress of the Elddis.

All the very best in the new season. :Good choice with Swift and excellent Customer Service

Edited by PBarton

I have finally given up with my 2013 Elddis Avante 462 (solid construction). After 16 months I have no faith in it anymore and have traded it for something older made by Swift. Three cracked gas bottle locker windows is one too many (can't bring myself to call it a door because it's not a door). The replacement kitchen sink hasn't gone rusty yet like the last one but it's a shame the Elddis service agent fitted the plug hole slightly screw-whiff as it catches the eye.

I appreciate no manufacturer can promise that each and every van will be 100% right. I wasn't expecting the earth when I got in touch with my dealer initially (none of the issues were of their making) or when I contacted Elddis in desperation after 9 weeks with no pumped water last March, but I would have liked some action, a little sympathy with my predicament, a plan put in place to resolve the issues and compensation for the time, and money I lost and stress I suffered during the whole of summer 2013.

Their customer service department saw me as nuisance and made some less than appropriate comments during our phone calls, for example when I said I was going to write to their MD I was told that all letters of complaint were intercepted and sent to them - he never saw them.

I wish everyone with a recently manufactured Elddis or Buccaneer many years of happy and safe caravanning. Maybe I was just the unlucky one.

I hope you will be able to put behind this terrible episode and get back to enjoying your caravanning.

For future reference, a letter to an MD, should be in an envelope which has been handwritten in a 'female hand' and clearly marked 'Private & Personal'. Most employees will pass that unopened to their boss!!!!

Or, you could send it to his home address like I did with my letter of complaint. It's amazing what info you can get from Companies House. Unfortunately it didn't do any good though. I've come to the conclusion he can't read :-)

All the very best in the new season.

Excellent post.

Good luck with the Swift. Just changed to a new Elddis having got fed up with Swift. Had the caravan from new for 3 years.

8 cracks on front panel 4 on back panel.

New alarm

Replacement water prssure switch

Replacement table

And when I part exchanged it had Damp front and rear panel.

Had a Bailey before cracked panels

Had an Avondale before that cracked panels

I have learnt to just relax and deal with the warranty issues as it's all part of caravanning.

Thanks for all the comments.

I really don't think Elddis are that bothered about the quality of their vans these days. They appear to sell. For two years running they have been voted winners in touring van categories. I suppose the judges take a look at a well QA checked van - they don't take it away for a couple of weeks to give it a practical test do they?

Mine looked fine the day I picked it up. It was 3 days later on my first trip out that it failed when I closed the gas bottle locker and it cracked, presumably because I wasn't stood astride the A-frame with my hands carefully placed making sure I closed it slowly with perfect pressure on the somewhat kick a** gas struts. If they really felt a window was the best thing to use then why didn't they have it propped open with a couple of stays?

I have tried to relax and enjoy the van but I think when your on your own some issues get blown out of proportion because you are totally responsible for the decisions you make. I really started to question my ability to make a good choice despite having taken my son and family with me when I went to the Lawns caravan show Sept 2012. The trouble was I had a motor home to trade in and many dealers didn't want it.

I feel that moving on to something different is the answer and I'm looking forward to next Tuesday when I pick up the Swift. I just hope the wind has dropped by then lol

Hope everything goes ok with your new van ( god knows you deserve it ) at least you are going to a manufacturer that seems to start putting its customer's first now, instead of pound notes. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Good luck and best wishes, Scoobz