Have I Got A Good Deal

Gcoe&a

Hi I have been looking at a caravan and have no trade in the dealer has took £1000 off the asking price and given me supaguard and a solar panel FOC. Then they have given me £100 voucher to spend in their accessory shop. Is this a good deal or could I get anymore out if them or by visiting the show in a couple of weeks.

How long is a piece of string ?

It depends on what you paid for the van, did you check other web sites for a price comparison ?

If you think it is a good deal then go for it, to help the Forum members comment, you may have to give

more details.

Sorry if I was a bit vague it's my first post. The van is a dealer special that has got a very good spec and is the layout we want. I was just wondering has I've not bought from a dealer before if there was much movement on the advertised price.

I think it seems a fair deal but I keep getting told that the show is where to buy and people get £2000 off the vans but having never bought new before thought I'd ask people with experience. Many thanks.

If you like the van and are happy to pay the price then go for it.

Prior to our current van we had two dealer specials, both offered great value for money.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

If the dealer is local stay with it. ..........show deals often involve remote dealerships.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

What van is it, is it a 2013 or 2014?

I would always expect at least ten percent off. Supaguard is not something I personally bother with, in any case the cost price is not a lot. Solar Panel, depends what wattage it is, look at the retail price and knock say 15% off to establish the value of that. £100 in the shop, costs him what, say £70. If it's a budget van might be OK, otherwise the deal sounds disappointing.

I would say go to the show, find the best deal you can then ask your local dealer to match it. Always buy locally.

Finally: a lot of dealer specials say £3000 worth of extras etc etc, but you need to look at how many of those you would really want. Then compare the deal to what you would get on the van the special is based on.

Edited by henrypartridge

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

That's a seventeen grand caravan: I'd forget the supaguard panel etc and get £1700 off. At least

Get his deal in writing. Go to show and do the rounds. Get them bidding for your money. Get the best deal in writing (if they wont write it down walk away) and then get dealer to match or nearly so. Any dealer who is pushing for some made up time limit knows you will be offered better elsewhere. Format in the cost and trouble of a dealer who is farther away, then double it 'cos that's what it will cost over time.

If finance is involved also remember the dealer will push you into the finance company they are tied into and they make a fortune out of your payments via their commission. A £100 accessory is probably costing him £50 max. and is worth sod all if you don't need it.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Alan's advice is good: at the show they'll usually write it on their business card. Then ask the local dealer to match it: I've never been refused. I would stick to a reasonably local dealer though: there are plenty of threads on here that demonstrate the pitfalls of travelling along way.

You want at least seventeen hundred quid off this van, simple as that.

Wise men, Alan and Henry, guess I'll be the third, forget the prezzy's, go for the discount.

All great advice, but the best one is if you do go to a show and do a deal, make sure it IS with a dealer close to you. Inevitability when something needs a fettle or a service you don't want to have to traipse it across the country.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

If it is a dealerspecial he may not find another like it so if he wants that 1 he should try for a bit more but in the end buy it. He may go to the show and not like any others and go back to the dealer and the special has gone. I personally would buy the 1 I like and not settle for 1 that is not quite rigt because it is few hundred cheaper. If he keeps the van for a few years that few hundred is small change.

If it is a dealerspecial he may not find another like it so if he wants that 1 he should try for a bit more but in the end buy it. He may go to the show and not like any others and go back to the dealer and the special has gone. I personally would buy the 1 I like and not settle for 1 that is not quite rigt because it is few hundred cheaper. If he keeps the van for a few years that few hundred is small change.

Good advice, You may only save a few quid at the show. Not worth all the hassle imo.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Many dealer specials come with extras that the standard model does not have, so you may be getting a lot more for your 17K ( or 16K after the discount offer ). I would agree to forget the supaguard, instead tell the dealer you are considering buying from the show unless he can make you an offer that changes your mind. As for the £100 I would only accept this if it was on top of a free Battery, Aqua roll, Wastemaster & gas bottle as most dealers throw these in as "starter packs".

At the end of the day, only you can tell if it's a good deal.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Sorry, but if it's les than ten percent it's not a good deal. It's the dealer's opening offer, for goodness sake forget your British reserve and haggle!

In the meanwhile I'll PM my bank account details to Pagan and he can put a few hundred quid in it. Few hundred small change? It would get a good few nights on a camp site.

If your happy with the deal then can say you never got a good deal.

i bought my caravan from Brayford Leisure in Lincoln nearly 2 agos. Im very pleased with it.

I basically waited till feb and rang around dealers for the best price on my model. I then rang Brayford up and told them what caravan i wanted and what i wanted to pay.

i got the van £3000 cheaper than anywhere else. "Think the sales just got a bit excited when i said ill buy it from you now if you can do it at this price" they offered me 3ķ for my old van but i said no and sold it on ebay for 6. 5k

i was very pleased

I should point from an earlier comment, dealers have not made fortunes on finance for a number of years now, unless its sold at a stupidly high rate which would be obvious, especially with the low rates and some 0% offers flighing about over the next month

The deal as a package on the price range your looking at is very good, £1000 discount, £500 worth of paint protection and (depending on the size) £500 solar panel, plus the £100 discount in the shop, which is just a nice gesture IMO

Whoops, seems like I have made a mistake according some of the posters on this subject. We live just outside Basingstoke, Hampshire and last Thursday we bought a 2005 Bailey Senator Carolina from Weston Super Mare Somerset, 93 miles away. We couldn't find the caravan we wanted with the layout we wanted locally. The particular caravan is in good condition and we bought it within our budget. It has 12 months warranty, if we have any problems, yes we will have to drag it down to the dealer and it could be a pain but hey hoy!!! we could just treat it as a day out and fingers crossed everything will be OK.

Cheers.

I should point from an earlier comment, dealers have not made fortunes on finance for a number of years now, unless its sold at a stupidly high rate which would be obvious, especially with the low rates and some 0% offers flighing about over the next month

The deal as a package on the price range your looking at is very good, £1000 discount, £500 worth of paint protection and (depending on the size) £500 solar panel, plus the £100 discount in the shop, which is just a nice gesture IMO

Oh dear me. £500 paint protection? I'd like Caravantech to give a truthful answer as to the cost to him. About £25 my froen in the motor trade says. It's worthless on a caravan anyway. £500 solar panel: it must be huge. An 80 watt solar panel is £140 on eBay. Agree about the finance, not as much profit as used to be esp. as payment protection (where the money was) in not flavour of the month.

You want at least £1700 off this caravan. Caravantech would give you that if he had to (IMHO)