Might Come In Handy

Rigger

Not bad if your van is hooked up to a power supply to recharge the android phone, ie seasonal pitch. If its in storage its not much kop and if the van is sitting on the drive I can't see much call for it. Otherwise a good idea.

Seems ok but can't see any commercial value in it over and above trackers etc.

How have people managed for a great many years . ...

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

Seems ok but can't see any commercial value in it over and above trackers etc.

How have people managed for a great many years . ...

I sort of agree with you, but on the other hand, isn't that what they said when some fool introduced a "horseless carriage"?

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

And the price is -----------

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

And the price is -----------

£200. 00 min. The "all bells and whistles" is £250. 00, but leads, etc. cost extra. (Go to "Buy Now" on the link in Post #1, you don't have to buy it first!)

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

​Hmmm- plus cost of phone & package to connect ! Dont suppose the insurance will give a discount for it ether

david.

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Don't mean to intrude but I'm the designer of the MaxMon remote monitoring system you're discussing. It was originally developed for rental properties and boats in marinas, but we've just started investigating the caravan, mobile and motor home market so thanks for your feedback and checking out our site. A phone-only system can cost about £50 for the phone and £30-50 a year for a PAYG SIM (if you're monitoring year round) but only monitors mains power, location, acceleration (e. g. towing) and can take remote pictures. You can try it for free if you have an Android phone or tablet. The Quatropus bundles add motion, temp, humidity and more for £200-250 more so it's not an impulse purchase, but it's less expensive than previous remote monitoring systems. The bundles should include enough cabling unless you have a very large caravan.

Insurance companies are unlikely to give a discount any time soon because they don't like DIY monitoring. They prefer third party monitoring, I suppose (charitably) because there is no conflict between the insurance company and the monitoring service, while there is often conflict between insurer and insured. But third party monitoring is always going to be pricey and subscription-based - which is why I designed MaxMon.

Edited by inizen

But how do you provide the power for a caravan in storage with no electrical hook up?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You don't or you request a hookup. The unit only consumes about 2W but that would still flatten a single domestic battery in a couple of weeks. Interested to know if some caravan storage locations offer power hookups to run greenhouse heaters or dehumidifiers?

I would imagine the majority of people do not have access to a hookup whilst the caravan is in storage. Whilst there are a lot of members on here who do keep their vans in purpose built storage facililties, a great many of us store in unused corners of campsites and farms, old barns etc.

A good number of people are now keeping their batteries alive over Winter with a solar panel, however.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

It is a sad fact but forums sometimes appear to attract people ready to react in a negative manner, I for one think the expense of a modern caravan or motorhome justifies the reasonable costs of whatever kit helps to keep safe and secure our expensive toys and I have a tracker at the moment but I would like to see this kit in action.

Hi Rigger - many thanks for your original post. MaxMon is my baby but I haven't found the replies negative (and we've had hundreds of hits on our our web site and several signs up to our newsletter). As I said we've just begun looking at caravan, mobile and motor homes and accept there are lots of situations where we may not be appropriate. But we are trying to pack in a lot of remote monitoring and control for less than the cost of an iPhone :) And trying to minimise the ongoing cost of ownership to just a PAYG SIM card.

For the amount that caravan storage facilities charge to store caravans over the winter why don't owners ask them to run power to their caravans? To charge batteries and run dehumidifiers or greenhouse heaters. Or rig a WiFi system for remote monitoring systems? The cost to the storage facility would be minimal, the service that much better.

BTW: to try MaxMon out all you need is a cheapo Android phone (see our web site for where to buy them). Our app is free and once you have it working you can remotely monitor power, acceleration, etc.

Hi I came across an article about your product on a canal boat news letter I subscribe to and found it very interesting, is it capable of remotely controlling Alde heating?

200 quid plus 100 for a mobile . But at the end of the day jammers are cheap enough to cancel the signal out making a tracker pointless.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks! MaxMon's remote control capability uses a transducer (included in the Quatropus-SA bundle) which 'pretends' to be a remote control for various remote control power sockets and strips listed on our site (www. maxmon. co. uk/buy/rc-sockets). So you can switch on/off electrical devices plugged into those sockets from anywhere. So if you can control the Alde heating from a power socket you could remotely switch on your heating. Is that possible? I'm happy to contact Alde to see what remote control interfaces they offer.

For boat-related questions we should probably switch to email (see the MaxMon contact page).

Hi Dave - location tracking is only one of the several MaxMon sensors (for security, temp, humidity, power, etc. - see www. maxmon. co. uk/app/mobile-home) and email or text alerts over cellular would be vulnerable to jammers, which I'm sure professional caravan thieves do use. But there's also the idea of reducing your 'threat volume' (to use the gruesome jargon). For every professional thief there are many more amateur or juvenile thieves and vandals. All thieves have crowbars but everyone still fits and uses locks. Good locks. They're not entirely pointless because they reduce the number of threats to the most determined.

There are a zillion reason why any new product won't work, but in some cases they actually do. You can check out a recent MaxMon alert from my remote floating caravan at www. maxmon. co. uk/sample-alert. I get a lot of daily reassurance that the greenhouse heater and dehumidifer in my floating caravan is doing its job, as opposed to wondering what I'm going to find when I return to it in the spring.