North Wales

MEG55

We are looking at going to North Wales, West coast areas to include Harlech, Barmouth, Aberdyfi and Aberystwyth.

If we go for 1 week it will be during May or 2 weeks in July depends on how much there is to see and do.

Advice and recommendations please for this area, best Sites, must see places, best beaches, best walks, which route is better North to South or South to North.

Any information is truly welcome.

2015 ABI ASHCROFT EXCL

We are looking at going to North Wales, West coast areas to include Harlech, Barmouth, Aberdyfi and Aberystwyth.

If we go for 1 week it will be during May or 2 weeks in July depends on how much there is to see and do.

Advice and recommendations please for this area, best Sites, must see places, best beaches, best walks, which route is better North to South or South to North.

Any information is truly welcome.

Yep Min Y Don lovely site, 5 minutes walk to the beach, view of Harlech Castle. Take a trip to cumbuchan a most picturesque lake, hidden away that tourists don't find, drive from Harlech to llanbedr, turn left in llanbedr and stick with the to roads, they do get narrow but you won't believe the view when the lake appears.

In Harlech La Plaz for meals is good, the deli across the road great for lunchtime food, all home made produce.

Going towards Barmouth, the wayside fish and chip restaurant is good too.

That's about it for now, oh, electric mountain and of course Snowdon too.

Ap

If you do wildcamping, much of Central Wales (Powys) has a "one night per week free" policy in the car parks for motorhomes. These are sign posted.

We like Porthmadog, but that's due to the ride on the steam train to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Take a load of carrier bags with you, there are no free carriers in shops in Wales!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hi,

​Center for alternative technology near Machynlleth. Will keep you occupied for a good part of the day ! Has a "veggie " restaurant--- dont let the veggie bit put you off-- meals are good. Has a shop selling a lot of stuff of interest to caravaners ( books on solar power etc ) . Also nearby is the Corris railway ( weekends only ).

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Hi

you could try around Llanwrst, 2 sites in town, Bron Derw very good with friendly helpful owners, good bus service if you don't want to drive. You and can walk into town for shopping, good Spar and local butchers for BBQs, restaurants etc.

From there you can easily all corners of the northern part of Wales, we stay there each year and cover from Aberystwyth up, most places within an easy hours drive over good roads ( well good compared to Argyll!)

Llandudno and the Great Orme nice but not spoilt, Llangollen with fine canal walks, Snowdon and its villages, Harlech beach - there is really enough to keep you going for more than 2 weeks. Once you have been you will want to go back!

Hi

you could try around Llanwrst, 2 sites in town, Bron Derw very good with friendly helpful owners, good bus service if you don't want to drive. You and can walk into town for shopping, good Spar and local butchers for BBQs, restaurants etc.

From there you can easily all corners of the northern part of Wales, we stay there each year and cover from Aberystwyth up, most places within an easy hours drive over good roads ( well good compared to Argyll!)

Llandudno and the Great Orme nice but not spoilt, Llangollen with fine canal walks, Snowdon and its villages, Harlech beach - there is really enough to keep you going for more than 2 weeks. Once you have been you will want to go back!

Bodant Caravan Park is pretty central to Llanrwst centre and has won Wales in Bloom award for many

years. Very handy for local transport including rail and bus.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Bodant Caravan Park is pretty central to Llanrwst centre and has won Wales in Bloom award for many

years. Very handy for local transport including rail and bus.

If you are a member of the C&C Club they have a T. H. S. there-- dont they agzy !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

If you are a member of the C&C Club they have a T. H. S. there-- dont they agzy !

Certainly do it runs from the Tuesday before May whit bank holiday and ends in middle of June with yours truly;y as steward of course. I presumed MEG55 wanted hook up as looking for 'sites' in north Wales and the site proper (not rally field) has full amenities.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I love this site in Talybont, it is still family owned and they have lovely small camping fields and clean facilities. A 5 minute walk to the train station into Barmouth, 10 minute walk to the beach, pub and small shops.

http://www. caravancampingsites. co. uk/gwynedd/sarnfaen. htm

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Temp Holiday Site - run by local regions of C & CC - from 5 to 28 days as an inexpensive family camping at popular sites around the country.

Never tried them myself and not a member.

Are they also for non-members anyone?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

THS'S are for C+CC members only, but if a non-member racks up they can join the club on site. Bodnant is excellent for touring North Wales, and I think there is at least 2 T. H. S's there each season. Also try Manorafan Farm at Abergele, nice site but basic facilities. There is also a T. H. S. there if you are a member. No trip to North Wales is complete without going to Port Merion (where THE PRISONER was filmed) just fantastic!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Hi all,

Funny as we've been looking for sites in North Wales and was just thinking I'll ask on caravantalk! Ideally we'd love something close to Conwy / the beaches nearby for walking the dogs. If anyone knows of any?!

Also interested in the THS though, how do you find out more? Do they have facilities? I have a cracked shower tray so we need to wash! We are C&CC members.

Thanks

Craig

Hi all,

Funny as we've been looking for sites in North Wales and was just thinking I'll ask on caravantalk! Ideally we'd love something close to Conwy / the beaches nearby for walking the dogs. If anyone knows of any?!

Also interested in the THS though, how do you find out more? Do they have facilities? I have a cracked shower tray so we need to wash! We are C&CC members.

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig, have a look at Conwy Touring Park which is situated about a mile and half from the centre of Conwy. I live just outside Deganwy which is on the other side of the river to Conwy.

Ian

Hi all,

Thanks

Craig

Bron Y Wendon Touring Park,Llandulas 10 MINS drive too Conwy etc

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Hi all,

Thanks

Craig

No facilities on most THS's just great people, usually good fields, water point/s and waste and toilet disposal. Some do have extras inc EHU but that puts the prices up and the idea is affordable holidays in nice places and North Wales has lots of those. Look in the Out and About at sites for holidays section all info is usually included.

CARPE DIEM

Hi Craig, have a look at Conwy Touring Park which is situated about a mile and half from the centre of Conwy. I live just outside Deganwy which is on the other side of the river to Conwy.

Ian

Thanks Ian. ...but how tight is that roundabout and then arch at conwy castle to get out onto that road to Trefriw?! I only started caravaning last summer and I'd hate to block the town on conwy! :)

Thanks Ian. ...but how tight is that roundabout and then arch at conwy castle to get out onto that road to Trefriw?! I only started caravaning last summer and I'd hate to block the town on conwy! :)

I agree with you Craig, that arch is a bit tight, another route that I would take to Conwy Touring Park is as follows: A55 off at junc. 19, take the A470 to Llanrwst/ Betws y Coed, in about 3 miles turn right at Tal y can to Tyn y groes, at Tyn y groes turn right onto the B5106 ( don,t be put off by this road as it's more like an A road ), all in all it takes you about 4/5 miles out of your way, but I think it's a better towing route.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'd forgot about that. ....didn't fancy the Llanwrst crossing! Will give it a go.

Cheers

Coed Helen caravan site at Caernarfon is open to tourers again, unfortunately I won't find out what the facilities are like now until I roll onto site in July!

Insignia 2.0 SRi pulling a Series 6 Bailey Pageant Vendee gallery_23796_434_10025.jpg

The wing mirrors on me F350 just miss the wall going through that ARCHWAY, have had many a close call going through :ph34r:

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

The wing mirrors on me F350 just miss the wall going through that ARCHWAY, have had many a close call going through :ph34r:

Ste

I used to drive an articulated wagon through them no problem at all, just take it easy. Tunnel has changed all the chaos of central Conwy

CARPE DIEM

• 1 month later...

Been to Wales several times never had a bad site anywhere.

Porthmadog is a good central place to stay Gareg Goch is an excellent site, limited tourist spaces.

Easy driving all up the coast to Anglesey, recommend visiting Beaumaris, and south bound down to Aberystwyth, closed until August.

Our second trip away was to CTP and I nearly made a mess of my underwear when I came round the corner to be confronted by that arch and a q of traffic coming the other way.

Took my time and got through ok. I have to admit that with a choice of the arch or coming the other way I would take the arch as once through its straight forward where as the other way large parts of the road are very narrow.

It's also fair to say CTP's facilities are not caravan club standard!

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!