Breakaway Cable

chrisbee

Hi, my new (2nd hand) car has a removable towbar. Does anyone know if BPW make a breakaway cable with a direct fix carabina rather than ones looping round the towball?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not loop around the ball?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Third attempt to post. ...disappears before I finish!

When I ran Jeeps about 5 years ago I was leaving a service centre in Darlington where my caravan was. I had a detachable Witter tow bar too and I was warned,as was another friend, that local Police lurked down the road and had started pulling in caravans to check the breakaway fixing. They didn't want to see the cable around the ball as I had on that and previous Jeeps. ...

So whilst I was still in the depot I made a ring of old breakaway cable. and secured it through the hole in the backplate with a metal clamp donated by them. ...that stayed on for next couple of years. I was't aware of a specific offence under the RTA but as ever I heeded their advice!!

Geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Why not loop around the ball?

Were the ball to become detached from the tow bar, then so would the breakaway cable. I feel having the cable attached to a non-removable fixing point is safer.

Edited by chrisbee

As it says - ask for advice from the manufacturer if no fixed point. I asked Witter at one of the shows (when I had a Witter detachable) and again asked Westfalia now I've got one of theirs and they both said to put it around the towball - so that's what I do.

Does anyone know (I mean know - not heard from a friend's neighbour's wife's cousin who knows someone in the pub etc) of any instances where a detachable towbar has come adrift.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

As it says - ask for advice from the manufacturer if no fixed point. I asked Witter at one of the shows (when I had a Witter detachable) and again asked Westfalia now I've got one of theirs and they both said to put it around the towball - so that's what I do.

Does anyone know (I mean know - not heard from a friend's neighbour's wife's cousin who knows someone in the pub etc) of any instances where a detachable towbar has come adrift.

Some time ago there was a link on the forum to a video clip which showed a horse box which had come adrift due the detachable towbar detaching when in use. If I remember correctly it was quite evident that the hitch was very badly maintained and corroded but I also seem to remember that the owner was adamant that it was a manufacturing defect.

I know it is not recommended to put the wire round the towball, but I can't find any law prohibiting it. https://www. gov. uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/208099/INF30. pdf, https://www. gov. uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow .

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Were the ball to become detached from the tow bar, then so would the breakaway cable. I feel having the cable attached to a non-removable fixing point is safer.

I cannot imagine any circumstances where this could happen to me. My towball is not detachable though. For me the chances are just too too small to even imagine.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'm confident that providing I attach the towball correctly it will not come off. However, I'm equally confident that providing I attach the caravan correctly it will remain coupled to the towball. The law still requires me to have a breakaway cable. Obviously the powers that be believe mistakes and failures do happen.

Witter detachable tow bars have two holes in the tow bar. A carabina can be clipped to either hole. However the leaf spring type breakaway cable cannot be used as it too weak, this type of cable must be looped round the tow ball.

That's exactly what I want to do but I have the spring clip type clip. That's why I wanted to know if a direct attachment type is available.

As most breakaway cables are spring clips. ..and as fitted by Alko on their units, could you not just put a carabiner, or a wire loop, as I mentioned earlier, through the Witter holes and fix the spring clip to that??

geoff

My previous 'van (a Bailey) with an Alko chassis could be fitted with a direct fixing carabina supplied as a part from Alko. Just wanted to know if anyone knew if BPW do the equivalent as I can't find one on their website. (Have I answered my own question ??????) B)

That's exactly what I want to do but I have the spring clip type clip. That's why I wanted to know if a direct attachment type is available.

They are available on Ebay, the double caribiner is also available. The cost is about £5. 99p.

Changing is simple enough.

The hole in the witter tow bar isn't large enough for a clip to pass through.

If you have a witter detachable tow bar the breakaway cable should be the caribiner type.

You need to know the type of Hitchhead fitted to get the correct BPW breakaway cable as they fit cables to suit the trailers weight .

There should be a plate attached to the hitch head .

Always buy a genuine make as the cheap Chinese Ebay fail as they are made of cheap components and just pull apart do not apply the brakes correct .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Cheers. I'll have a look and ensure I get the correct genuine cable. :rolleyes:

SOME detatchable towbars include instruction that a breakaway cable MUST be clipped to the supplied hole (e. g. my Bosal). So looping it round the ball would be incorrect. Check the instructions for your own installation and obey them rather than relying on hearsay on a forum or generic advice from the Clubs / NCC.

Genuine BPW http://www. bpw. co. uk/downloads/Light_axles/Critical%20Items%20Wall%20Chart. pdf cables all seem to be the carabiner type. .. but you do need to match the cable to the drawbar/handbrake type you have.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Breakaway cable tip:

Once it's been used, it will either be broken or the hook is bent & severely weakened.

Then what do you do when you re-hitch? With no break away cable you will not be able to legally tow the van.

Carry a spare and the problem is solved.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Carry a spare and the problem is solved.

And a first aid kit and a broad blade screwdriver or two. ......a Mole wrench would be useful too. .........I know I had to change one on a rally at the weekend.

geoff

As most breakaway cables are spring clips. ..and as fitted by Alko on their units, could you not just put a carabiner, or a wire loop, as I mentioned earlier, through the Witter holes and fix the spring clip to that??

geoff

Ah, but you must not fix the spring clip type directly to any point - it must be looped round something, then back on itself. I believe that a direct pull on the clip would straighten the hook out without guaranteeing pulling the brake fully on. The additional resistance when looped back is sufficient to ensure the brakes come fully on: the carabiner type are strong enough to do the job by themselves. , then snap at the connection point.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

• 1 month later...

Does the fact that you have a detachable tow bar rather a fixed one make a difference. As a detachable tow ball could in theory come adrift is it necessary to fit the breakaway cable direct to the tow bar via a carabiner. Has anyone actually been prosecuted for looping the cable around the tow ball or even warned by the Police.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Does the fact that you have a detachable tow bar rather a fixed one make a difference. As a detachable tow ball could in theory come adrift is it necessary to fit the breakaway cable direct to the tow bar via a carabiner. Has anyone actually been prosecuted for looping the cable around the tow ball or even warned by the Police.

See my post no. 4 this thread Halo. ..

Cheers

Geoff