Air Awning

Lee E

Hi all

Just bought a new van today. We need a new awning and were looking at the Kampa air 390. I like it but feel they are over priced. I have seen a trigano air awning which appears to be of similar quality materials than the kampa. Has anyone any view of the Trigano????

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I went up to the nec in October to look at the air awnings to see if there was a reason why they were so much more money, having poked and prodded the other brands at the show we ordered the kampa as it was by far the best made and the material on the pro is much more heavy duty.

Hi we were thinking about the air awning ourselves,we have a elddis avante,and not wanting the massive full awning to pull

About wanted some thing smaller,but the avante windows in odd places worried about poles rubbing on windows,so the air

Awnings looked a good idea

toyota rav4 t180

2010 elddis avante 540

• 1 month later...

The trigano has the same quality of fabric than the Kampala but about 200 quid cheaper. Only difference I can see is that the Kampa has tubes that can be sealed off in case of a leak

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I saw them at the show, and if I remember the Kampa has a single inflation point - hence the need for the isolation valve incase of leaks as one leak could bring down the awning - although I'm not sure how you know which section is leaking without the hassle of isolating all the sections. Most other makes seem to have separate inflation points for each tube - so if there are three main inflation tubes then you have three separate valves on the outside. At least with this configuration you can immediately spot where the leak is and you won't come back to a deflated awning. The material used in the awnings is similar so I'm saving up for the cheaper air awnings.

I suspect that all the complexity of the Kampa awnings inflation tubes and valves easily account for the extra cost of the awnings - but that complexity may also produce more failure points in the long run.

Edited by murraymint

Hi Lee, we've been hanging our noses over these too. In another forum (will I get chucked off this forum if I say which?) but a supplier had posted up a piece of correspondence from the sales director at Kampa, apologising for the current delays in stock. What I read from his letter, when clearly addressing the exodus of customers who aren't prepared to wait 2 months for a back order, is he highlighted what he viewed as the Kampas superiority over its competitors. Nowhere did he mention quality. He mentioned again, the 'single point of inflation' USP and that's it. Now as it is a Chinese made product (the new year has hit production lines), for me, and the sales directors lack of anything more than a single USP argument versus it's competitors, I'm now even more interested at looking at the competitors! Is £200 worth paying to avoid the inconvenience of blowing up 3 or 4 separate legs? There are other differences too, as I don't think the Trigano has a draught skirt, and it certainly doesn't have the optional inner tent, (an extra on the Kampa) but again, depending what you want from your awning, these may not be a consideration at all, or alternative workarounds may be sufficient. What I can't find is the material . The kampa is made from something called 150d weather shield, which I haven't a clue what that is, whereas the trigano is made from PVC polyester the same as the Isabella magnum. Would really like to look at both of these side by side to decide! Francesca

Edited by Francesca

Hi we were thinking about the air awning ourselves,we have a elddis avante,and not wanting the massive full awning to pull

About wanted some thing smaller,but the avante windows in odd places worried about poles rubbing on windows,so the air

Awnings looked a good idea

I would be careful, its not the poles the scour the windows but the fabric of the awning, blown in the wind even the smallest movements will damage the windows, believe me, I've been there and done it.

Phil

Hi Lee, we've been hanging our noses over these too. In another forum (will I get chucked off this forum if I say which?) but a supplier had posted up a piece of correspondence from the sales director at Kampa, apologising for the current delays in stock. What I read from his letter, when clearly addressing the exodus of customers who aren't prepared to wait 2 months for a back order, is he highlighted what he viewed as the Kampas superiority over its competitors. Nowhere did he mention quality. He mentioned again, the 'single point of inflation' USP and that's it. Now as it is a Chinese made product (the new year has hit production lines), for me, and the sales directors lack of anything more than a single USP argument versus it's competitors, I'm now even more interested at looking at the competitors! Is £200 worth paying to avoid the inconvenience of blowing up 3 or 4 separate legs? There are other differences too, as I don't think the Trigano has a draught skirt, and it certainly doesn't have the optional inner tent, (an extra on the Kampa) but again, depending what you want from your awning, these may not be a consideration at all, or alternative workarounds may be sufficient. What I can't find is the material . The kampa is made from something called 150d weather shield, which I haven't a clue what that is, whereas the trigano is made from PVC polyester the same as the Isabella magnum. Would really like to look at both of these side by side to decide! Francesca

Hi Francesa, the all in one inflation is not the only advantage of our AIR awnings over competitors, the quality of our awnings is to an overall much higher level. The aim of the email was to inform our customers that there have been unfortunate delays rather than list the advantages of our awnings. There are as many as 10 inflation points on other inflatable awnings which is why our all in one inflation is such a key feature.

The overall quality of our awnings is to a much higher level which is why we recommend people to go to their local dealer and compare the difference.

From a non air awning owner but twice Kampa awning owner, I would say at their price point they are good value for money. They are well constructed and material feels notably stronger than many of the cheaper competitors we compared side by side.

Trigano have been round for a long time making folding campers/Trailer tents and tents so they are no newbies but they have always been quite attractively priced compared to others it seems. Not sure if that is a reflection on quality or not

One point we did find was the Rally 390 offered more headroom at front than most of similar style awnings - not sure if the Air is the same shape or not

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Hi Max! how fab to have a representative on here, well done kampa! Max, could I take advantage and ask some direct comparative questions? It's very difficult to do online comparisons, and as you've rightly said, ideally we would stand next to all the air products. Max you've mentioned some products have as many as 10 inflation points? Can you tell us which? I'm hoping that as advertising standards have changed in recent years, suppliers are indeed now able to openly 'compare' their product to competitor, it'd be really helpful. just to throw another curved ball in the ring, I gather the Sunncamp air won awning of the year last year in one of the caravan publications, and I'm now looking at Sunncamp too as a contender, simply due to their add on annexe. So accepting that the air technology sells itself as a concept, I suppose I'm looking at quality of build, ease of use (again though for me, to blow up 4 legs versus 1 point of inflation isn't convincing enough to spend an extra £200) , the specs, nice to haves etc

So my list of considerations are; material, PVC polyester vs 150d weathershield. What is 'weathershield'? How does it compare to the PVC polyester as used by Isabella.

rigidity of beams and in the event of puncture ease of repair (I gather the individually pumped beams on competitors models are easily replaceable in the event of puncture), what happens with a Kampa puncture? Is the whole unit sent off for replacement sections, or are individual sections replaceable ? I wouldn't be comfortable with a puncture repair kit option, especially due to the pressures needed to stay rigid.

On the optional extras, does the draught skirt connect up to the awning? Do the groundsheet and carpet options also connect to the awning as a fitted solution or are they just loose?

Option of overflow accomodation. For me I think the Sunncamp is the clear winner here with the add on annexe which maintains the awning space available, what are the benefits of the kampa inner tent? Can the inner tent be used with the groundsheet/carpets in situ? Whilst kampa do do an annexe on the fiesta, I'm not keen on the dimensions of the fiesta being 300 deep, and for me, it's a far less attractive design than the rally for daily 'porch' use. Will kampa be looking at an annexe add on option to the rally in the future?

Max I'm sure quality does count, and you do get what you pay for, and indeed if we were talking £50 or so, it'd be a no brainier. But there is a significant price jump to the kampa so I think, like Lee, we're trying to quantify/justify spending 50% more. Huge thanks, Francesca.

Hi Francesca,

Thank you for your comments. I am active on a number of forums and must say that Caravan Talk has quickly become my favourite due to the ease of use of the forums and the community - everyone is very friendly; that said I'll steer clear from that Scottish Independence thread!

I'd rather not make comments on other manufacturers awnings but I am happy to talk about the merits of our own. I've sent you a private message with a phone number in it that you can use to call. I'm here till at least 6pm today so if you give me a call I'm happy to give you 5 minutes of my time to talk to you. From there you can make your own decision on what's best for you, at the end of the day I'd rather you had an awning that suited you.

Just a couple of comments:

The Sunncamp inflatable awning did win an award with Practical Magazine, we were unable to supply them with a 2014 sample as they were reviewing them before they had come in and we had no 2013 stock to use in place due to the incredible demand for them last year - we were not the only awning manufacturer who faced this same problem to my knowledge. That said our awnings did win a community voted top accessory award with Caravan Times and were the only awning to be mentioned.

150D Weathershield is a 150D Polyester material. Weathershield is a name the name we use for our awning material as well as 'feel the difference', a concept that we push as we believe you really can feel the difference in quality.

Each individual section on our inflatable awnings can be replaced and is very easy to do. I'll be posting a video on our YouTube in the near future and the process takes no longer than a couple of minutes. They are also easily repairable which I will also be showing.

Further information on our inflatable awnings can be found here.

Kind Regards,

Max

Edited by Kampa Max

Please do take the opportunity to call me Francesca.

Kind Regards,

Max

We will if you insist but wouldn't you prefer to stay as Max.

poolebob :)

(Guess what film I have just watched.)

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Oh dear, I've now deleted that line but it has now forever been cemented with your quote. .. :(

LOL! I missed it.

Max, thank you for taking the time out to answer, oh my, I'm dying to see one now! You've certainly answered the key concerns I had regards potential problems and repair with the one point inflation technology, thank you.

Quality, durability, 'use ability' are always worth the extra expense as of course it's false economy to end up buying 2 or 3 over say a 10 year period, when 1 quality product would still be performing as well as the day it was unpacked. I'm converted by your quality assurances and also the excellent reviews of kampa air owners. I think what I definitely do need to do, as we do want the option of additional sleeping quarters, is to see a kampa with an inner tent in situ, and get a feel for the space.

Ill ring round our local suppliers tomorrow and see if anyone has got a demo model in store with inner, and go from there, it's just such a shame about the supply problems! But so far, you're ticking all the boxes.

thanks again, and look forward to the demo videos. Will you be in a starring role? :)

Francesca

We had the original Air 390 and found it fantastic. So fantastic we upgraded to the Air 330 Pro (shorter so doesn't rub the windows)

Not used the 330 Pro yet but the ease of putting it up and the quality of the product far surpasses any others we saw in the showrooms.

As for a single inflation point and all the isolation valves. They are easy to flick closed to find any leak, not a hassle, it couldn't be easier.

Yes they are expensive but worth the premium over the others we have seen.

We had the original Air 390 and found it fantastic. So fantastic we upgraded to the Air 330 Pro (shorter so doesn't rub the windows)

Not used the 330 Pro yet but the ease of putting it up and the quality of the product far surpasses any others we saw in the showrooms.

As for a single inflation point and all the isolation valves. They are easy to flick closed to find any leak, not a hassle, it couldn't be easier.

Yes they are expensive but worth the premium over the others we have seen.

I'd like to see the process to find the leak in practice. You won't know you have one until the whole awning loses pressure - so you wake up or return from a day out and find a deflated awning. To find the leak you have to pump up the whole thing and then close all the valves - and then what. Release one valve at a time and wait how long to lose pressure! There are many joins and valves - so then you have to work out which bit is the problem - and then the easy bit to replace the offending part. That would make for a relaxing weekend away!! Has anyone actually had to do this in practice?

Time will tell - but complexity can mean lots of failure points. I think I like the idea of seeing one tube leak, finding the leak the same way I do on my single bike tyre tube, and then repairing or replacing. When practical caravan magazine checked out the Sunncamp Air awning they recommended taking spares in case of a leak - how many different sized tubes make up the Air Awnings - it might be a lot of spares or you could risk having to do without an awning. Where there are separate tubes you just take one valve and one large tube replacement, and your holiday can continue until you get home with a bucket of soapy water to find the leak.

Actually I did. That's how I know. Lost some pressure over night. So pumped back up and locked each one off and went out for the day.

Next morning the offending part was soft and the rest of the awning was hard. Turns out I had managed to loose a seal on the inlet cap causing a slow leak. Once Kampa Max arranged me a new cap with seal all was good.

As reported in this thread: http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/87947-kampa-rally-air-leak-already/

When practical caravan magazine checked out the Sunncamp Air awning they recommended taking spares in case of a leak - how many different sized tubes make up the Air Awnings - it might be a lot of spares or you could risk having to do without an awning. Where there are separate tubes you just take one valve and one large tube replacement, and your holiday can continue until you get home with a bucket of soapy water to find the leak.

Our tubes are made to withstand a much higher pressure, you do not need to worry about taking spare tubes in the case of leaks.

After much consideration I have bought a Sunncamp Air 390 . I just couldn't justify almost £700 for the Vango & Kampa (£300 more than the Sunncamp), although I will have to put up with three inflation points instead of one, and one years warranty against the Kampa two year warranty . It will only be used for around a month a year as we have a small porch awning for use in the winter - so hopefully it will give many years of service. I certainly will not miss putting up the old large awning!!!

We purchased the Kampa Air 260 last year and cannot fault it.

John

Used our 260 air pro this weekend. Fantastic awning so easy to put up and take down. And very sturdy.

Well pleased.

post-42801-0-49482500-1394485348_thumb.jpg

2015 swift challenger se 530

Mitsubishi shogun sg4