Tug For Olympus 624

DUNCAN123

Hi,guys was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a towcar for our van.

Looking for a saloon rather than a SUV or mpv

and preferably not an estate,

All suggestions welcome,

Thanks Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

Hi,guys was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a towcar for our van.

Looking for a saloon rather than a SUV or mpv

and preferably not an estate,

All suggestions welcome,

Thanks Duncan

BMW 520 D, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz E Class, Ford Mondeo.

Thanks Martin,

didn't think a Mondeo would be heavy enough.

Quite fancy an Insignia 4x4 but think they might be tricky to find,really looking for 12-18 months old so as not to take a huge hit on depreciation

Duncan

Weight wise, fully loaded these vans come in at over 1600kg, which means unless you are happy to tow at a ratio higher than the 85% ratio your choice of to car will be limited, I think the Mondeo is lighter than the 3 German units, so it may not be heavy enough. I think the heavier BMWs come in about 1700kg, so again the ratio is high.

Will be interested to see what others suggest, as I am also going to be looking for a new tug in the future, even though it am towing less I don't want to have much more than an 85% ratio between the units.

M

Jag xf?

Volvo s80 d5?

Volvo xc70 (admittedly an estate)

Must admit though that you will be running high against the kerbweight of the van. I have a 1500kg Olympus, with an e class estate (1785kg), and that works out around the 85% mark. Tbh, I wouldn't want to tow with anything much heavier as it can swing around a bit on the back of the merc due to the overhang and softer rear suspension

Edited by milkymarsh

Thanks Martin,

didn't think a Mondeo would be heavy enough.

Quite fancy an Insignia 4x4 but think they might be tricky to find,really looking for 12-18 months old so as not to take a huge hit on depreciation

Duncan

Duncan, searching out an Insignia 4x4 would be well worth the effort. Had one, great car superb tow car, economical, comfortable, well made and reliable cheap to run and service.

Duncan, searching out an Insignia 4x4 would be well worth the effort. Had one, great car superb tow car, economical, comfortable, well made and reliable cheap to run and service.

Hi,Stattam, found 27 for sale on Autotrader so there's more out there than i thought.

Noticed a new model being launched soon called the country or county very like the Audi Allroad so I will keep my eyes open for them,

Thanks Duncan

Jag xf?

Volvo s80 d5?

Volvo xc70 (admittedly an estate)

Must admit though that you will be running high against the kerbweight of the van. I have a 1500kg Olympus, with an e class estate (1785kg), and that works out around the 85% mark. Tbh, I wouldn't want to tow with anything much heavier as it can swing around a bit on the back of the merc due to the overhang and softer rear suspension

Hi I'd love an E250cdi estate but the other half won't wear it(her daily drive)

Duncan

Weight wise, fully loaded these vans come in at over 1600kg, which means unless you are happy to tow at a ratio higher than the 85% ratio your choice of to car will be limited, I think the Mondeo is lighter than the 3 German units, so it may not be heavy enough. I think the heavier BMWs come in about 1700kg, so again the ratio is high.

Will be interested to see what others suggest, as I am also going to be looking for a new tug in the future, even though it am towing less I don't want to have much more than an 85% ratio between the units.

M

Hi,that's one of the reasons were thinking about going for a more mainstream car rather than a SUV as we probably only tow half a dozen times a year and would help with running costs.

Duncan

Chrysler 300C? No personal experience, but they look big, very stylish and with a 3 litre engine, should be able to cope.

Think it would be high on my list if I was limiting my choice to a saloon.

Anyone got one?