Leisure Battery

I have been to Halfords today after a friend told me they have 115AH leisure batteries on offer at £89 its true they have, so i bought, bargain!!!. They have 30% off normal price but only until stocks last, the guy in the store told me they were going fast only had 2 more on the shelf. I suggest if anyone is looking for a new leisure battery be quick. 2 year warranty.

Beware of 'bargains' like this as a recent magazine article that looked at and tested various batteries reported major differences in life and quality of certain makes. summary was 'you get what you pay for. Varta came out as excellent.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Sounds good, but don't forget that there are leisure batteries. ....and 'leisure batteries'. Did you notice whether it complies with EN50342, which is the standard against which genuine leisure batteries are tested? There is no clear definition of 'leisure battery' within the industry but this standard will be the indicator of something that should be reliable. Is there a maker's name on it, or is it a Halfords own-label?

If you are a CC Member take a look at John Wickersham's article in the Nov '13 issue:

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/13871919/ccmnovtechnical. pdf?type=archive

for which you will need to sign in or register.

Edited by GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

All leisure and car batteries have a date code, usually stamped into the side, make sure you check the date code to ensure that the battery has not been sat on the shelf for 2 years :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I just bought two Numax CXV35MF 120AH leisure batteries for £106 each with a 3 year warranty from Amazon. Arrived next day. £15 cheaper and unbranded doesn't sound all that good a bargain, tbh.

p. s. ....and they power my microwave, just fine ;)

Edited by tictag

Is it being said here to avoid the Halford one ?

I have looked at the Halford site and the one at £89 is labelled 110 but looks like a full box height one so not what I'm after as I want a low height one.

Without hi jacking thread I hope recommendations of low height ones might be given.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Is it being said here to avoid the Halford one ?

I have looked at the Halford site and the one at £89 is labelled 110 but looks like a full box height one so not what I'm after as I want a low height one.

Without hi jacking thread I hope recommendations of low height ones might be given.

GMC's link, last page bottom right picture gives you a very clear hint of what to buy; then look at the sizes offered by those brands.

Don't be too besoted by high power claims not supported by certification to EN 50342 C20. This is the big mistake so many make in believing a compact light battery can somehow defy logic and have the same performance as one with the right amount of lead in it. If you can't get an EN certifed 110 Ah in, buy one also certified but of lower Ah rating; the probability is that it will still hold more Ahs than an uncertified one.

. ..or fit a bigger battery bay ;) Or in my case, a double battery bay!

Others will have got to have gotten the idea of the required battery capacity way way out of proportion to ever consider doing that ;)

In most cases they happily and unknowingly limped along with a battery performing way belown its labeled capacity, content in that label saying 110 or whatever inticement to buy the brander stuck on it!

Edited by JTQ

I suppose it all depends on what you want to do with it. I want to have a double espresso in the morning with my microwave porridge whilst in a field surrounded by sheep and mole hills. I need a big battery for that! Permanently on EHU with maybe a 15 minute move at the end - you could probably get away with a couple of AA's ;)

I did a couple of tests a few months back (thread in this forum) where I reasonably scientifically measure capacity and how much smart and dumb chargers actually differ in the energy they shove in a battery. Mine measured 104AH but was labelled 110AH. I've heard stories of some cheap batteries being less that 50% of their labelled (deep discharge) capacity!