Reversing Sensors

KimmyandGinge

Just got a new tow car, a Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 auto

When i've got the caravan on the back, the reversing sensors are bleeping like made telling me i'm near something.

One thing i have noticed is that the reverse lights on the caravan are not lit up when in reverse although they were with my old car??

Any ideas??

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Yes. The tow bar electrics have been badly wired, and neither the connection to the caravan reversing light has been made, nor has the cut-out to the beeper. Take it back for whoever did it to correct it.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Have you just got a bypass relay - it requires a proper vehicle specific controller to switch off the reversing sensors and car reversing lights. Who did the work, did you request vehicle specific wiring or just go for the cheaper option

Even with just a bypass relay the van's reversing lights should work, so that's just poor wiring.

If not 13 pin plug

Do you have both 7 pin plugs plugged in?

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

This is why dedicated wiring is needed with modern cars. I think it is well worth the dealer cost and is then covered by the warranty.

It needs a 13 pin socket with a microswitch which will turn off the sensors . This can happen on models of vehicles that have a after market sensors fitted by manufacturers that are not linked to the cars CPU systems.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sorry, forgot to say, it's only got 1 7 pin socket

Dont know when it was put on, although the socket does have a hyundai badge on it!!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Sorry, forgot to say, it's only got 1 7 pin socket

Dont know when it was put on, although the socket does have a hyundai badge on it!!

That would explain the lack of reversing lights - reverse lights are wired on the second, grey plug to the van.

You would need a properly wired 12S socket added

I'd dump the 12N and go straight to 13 pin.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

cheers for all ya help.

was thinking about going to 13 pin anyway.

so if i did that, would that stop my reversing sensors??

If you use a 'Right Connections' dedicated kit this has the necessary wiring, switches etc to deactivate the reversing sensors as well as deal with the fog lights. Alternatively use a fitter who knows what they are doing and get them to fit a 13pin socket with 2 micro switches. One switch can be used to deactivate the reversing sensors whilst the other can be used to switch the fog lights. This may be the better method as you already have the wiring for the lighting circuits.

I had a Westfalia dedicated kit with a Witter detachable bar. The fitter then wired the supplementary wiring using a twin micro switch 13 pin socket as I had specified that I wanted the reversing sensors to be disabled when towing. This was on a 2012 Santa Fe.

Hope this helps.

Ah - just noticed that you may have a 'new' Santa Fe. This may be different but I suspect the same method could be used.

Edited by alecsmart

Kia Sorento GT Line

Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2016

No

Well, sort of no. It can be wired to cope though.

Don't your sensors only come on in reverse or at low speed?

If not that could annoying, very quickly.

Regards,

Steve

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

Got a quote today from a local tow bar chap, £99 for a 13 pin socket, plus another £170 if i want dedicated electrics!!!

Got another quote from another chap to have a 13 pin socker and a switch fitted to turn off the sensors, £150 all in!!

Need to make a choice now.